Mercenary Crafting: Armstech or Armormech?

KiraHalcyon

Okay, I have a bit of a conundrum.

I recently created a Bounty Hunter Character, and just made him a Mercenary. I went for Armstech for his Crafting skill, with Scavenging and Investigation as the gathering/mission skills. However, I'm wondering whether Armormech would work better for me.

I should also mention I plan on pursuing a romance with Mako, and plan to use her exclusively in the field. Not sure if that affects things in any way, but I felt I should get it out there. :)

I look forward to hearing what everyone thinks about this. :D:cool:

Edited by KiraHalcyon

No Hunter companion has a +Crit to armormech, while Blizz has a +1 Crit to Armstech.

So from a companion standpoint, Armstech is better.

Interestingly enough, your 'best' skill is Biochem, with a crit to both Biochem and Bioanalysis.

Pick up Armstech, Scavenging, and Investigation. Run Investigation missions until you get an orange pistol recipe. Craft until you have two crit crafted pistols.

Drop Armstech and Investigation for Armormech and Underworld Trading. Run Underworld Trading missions until you have helm, chest, and legs schematics. Craft until you have one crit crafted of each.

Drop everything for Biochem, Bioanalysis, and Diolomacy.

Edited by MaverickXIV

Armstech = 1 barrel every two levels. 1 for you and 1 for Mako

Armormech = (I believe) 1 upgrade piece every 5 levels, until you get all orange pieces for you and Mako. so 2 pieces, 1 for you and 1 for Mako.

Cybertech= 10 armor pieces + 10 mods every two levels for orange gear + earpieces for you and Mako.

I'd go cyber and UT if it is your one and only character and IF you'll use Orange gear....

But that's me.

I "save" the most credits with my Cyber and Artifice, but make the most with my Armormech.

I would say Armormech. You can keep yourself and Mako geared pretty well with just blue armor, or mostly blue and a few pieces of orange. That way you won't need many commendations. With Cybertech, it starts getting really expensive to keep yourself going with Armoring and Mods. With Armormech, you can also get augmented gear pretty easily and cheaply, and perhaps even keep yourself up with augments--that will depend on if you have a Slicer, or if schematics are common on your server's GTN. On my Armormech alt, I have augmented Head, Chest, and Legs, and make new pieces for the rest every few levels. It works well. Meanwhile, augmented blaster pistols are pretty cheap.

Armstech = 1 barrel every two levels. 1 for you and 1 for Mako

Armormech = (I believe) 1 upgrade piece every 5 levels, until you get all orange pieces for you and Mako. so 2 pieces, 1 for you and 1 for Mako.

Cybertech= 10 armor pieces + 10 mods every two levels for orange gear + earpieces for you and Mako.

I'd go cyber and UT if it is your one and only character and IF you'll use Orange gear....

But that's me.

I "save" the most credits with my Cyber and Artifice, but make the most with my Armormech.

On my powertech I started off with armormech until I was in the low/mid 30's. By that time, I had almost a full set of orange gear for myself and half a set for Mako. I dropped armormech (after crafting some gear for my alts) and picked up cybertech, which I powerleveled using the mats I gathered for armormech. I figured that cybertech, being able to craft ear pieces, armor, and mods would be a better compliment to my future characters than the other crafting types. I've since rolled alts to handle the other crafting types except for armstech. The strategy has worked pretty well so far.

Kyril (my Merc) is actually my sixth (and latest) character.

My Main is a Sentinel with Artifice, Slicing, and Treasure Hunting. I also have a Sage with Archaeology, Bioanalysis, and Biochem, a Guardian with Synthweaving, Archaeology, and Underworld Trading, an Inquisitor with Artifice, Archaeology, and Treasure Hunting, and an Agent with Cybertech, Scavenging, and either Underworld Trading or Slicing (I can't recall which off the top of my head).

No Hunter companion has a +Crit to armormech, while Blizz has a +1 Crit to Armstech.

So from a companion standpoint, Armstech is better.

Interestingly enough, your 'best' skill is Biochem, with a crit to both Biochem and Bioanalysis.

If you have the legacy ship droid you can mod your ship droid companion for any craft skill.

For the OP if you like crafting I think it's worth having at least one armormech character. Armstech is super useful but it seems like its easier to get weapons than armor.

Edited by MorgonKara

If you have the legacy ship droid you can mod your ship droid companion for any craft skill.

For the OP if you like crafting I think it's worth having at least one armormech character. Armstech is super useful but it seems like its easier to get weapons than armor.

The ship droid has +crit to Synthweaving, Cybertech, and Armstech.

Nothing for Armormech, Biochem, or Artifice.

If you aren't planning on crafting to sell

Biochem is the only one that makes sense, and that's only because of the skill restrictions on the reuseables.

If you aren't crafting to sell, then you'll probably waste more money learning schematics than you'll save making the stuff yourself.

Since you have an UT and Scavenger elsewhere, Armormech would be the way to go. Having other toons to send the materials you'll need will mean that you can actually keep the level of items you make equal or above what your character can use.

But I have to agree, the best bang crew skill wise is going biochem. The only things you can make that are good are Rakata belts and bracers which are BoP and require crit crafts to make them worthwhile, whereas without biochem your alt will be like the brother you give money to every week (making or buying stims) if you want to do anything other than shelve it at 50. So far as Armstech crafting, there's absolutely nothing they can make that's BoP or skill specific.

After listening to what everyone is saying, I think I'll do Armormech--it'll help Kyril until I can get him Legacy Armor, and can also supply armor for Mako. I figure I can also sell a few things if I need some quick credits. :)

Thanks for all the opinions!! :)

Kyril (my Merc) is actually my sixth (and latest) character.

My Main is a Sentinel with Artifice, Slicing, and Treasure Hunting. I also have a Sage with Archaeology, Bioanalysis, and Biochem, a Guardian with Synthweaving, Archaeology, and Underworld Trading, an Inquisitor with Artifice, Archaeology, and Treasure Hunting, and an Agent with Cybertech, Scavenging, and either Underworld Trading or Slicing (I can't recall which off the top of my head).

Aha, another alt-a-holic lol.

You'd get more use out of the armormech, mine is a Vanguard, no +crit but still usually every 5 or so I get an augment.

plus, I like the Armormech stuff for my Guardian, got tired of robes real quick., maybe pick up investigation to pre-feed your next new Armstech :) Then you're covered.

Edit, snuck one in as I was typing.

Edited by Estimate
addition

Aha, another alt-a-holic lol.

You'd get more use out of the armormech, mine is a Vanguard, no +crit but still usually every 5 or so I get an augment.

plus, I like the Armormech stuff for my Guardian, got tired of robes real quick., maybe pick up investigation to pre-feed your next new Armstech :) Then you're covered.

Edit, snuck one in as I was typing.

Thank you very much. :)