Developer Blog: Cartel Reputation

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, they making it so that people who like to buy packs get something extra for their money. It's a faction created specifically for people who were already buying packs. Why would you want to level this faction if you don't buy packs?

Because I want things that are available from that reputation vendor, and they are not available anywhere else. I don't have the extra money to spend on cartel packs. I can grind out a good amount of credits to buy some specific items that *came* from the packs on the GTN, but the amount of credits I'd have to make just to buy whole packs just for the rep AND the certificates that aren't guaranteed would be TOO MUCH. That's not fun.

Nope. It's like someone going to the store, specifically to buy lobster, but they are told they can't; they have to buy an undetermined amount of other seafood first before the store will even consider selling them a lobster. Hostage situation. Pay the ransom, then hope you get what you want. Not acceptable to me.

Yep, that is more accurate. Add to that, the undeterminal amount of seafood all comes in a random package that will contain mostly really cheap cod and pollock, possibly a decent quality piece of fish, and there is only a chance that a certain coupon will be in it that you need to collect a bunch of to get a certain kind of lobster. :D

Edited by chuixupu

All in all, I don't mind the reputation grind. I do think $200-250 for a reputation each time a new shipment happens Is excessive, but that's for each consumer to decide.

What I would like to see is the certificates be bound to legacy. The number of packs you need to open to get 10 of them fills up 3-4 cargo bays. I actually stopped buying the packs after two of the 24 pack bundles when i ran out of room on the toon I wanted the item on (and I can't mail the items to an alt for 1.5 days). Now I've lost the motivation to use this method and have enough rares to sell on the GTN to buy the piece I wanted. Lol, Bioware had the gambler in me going and would have made a killing off me if it weren't for those constraints.

Nope. It's like someone going to the store, specifically to buy lobster, but they are told they can't; they have to buy an undetermined amount of other seafood first before the store will even consider selling them a lobster. Hostage situation. Pay the ransom, then hope you get what you want. Not acceptable to me.

What is being held hostage here? It's all fluff and vanity items.

What is being held hostage here? It's all fluff and vanity items.

Irrelevant; it's gear that is not obtainable by an in-game grind. And don't say "oh you can buy packs off the GTN" - we all know that isn't going to be an option for more than a few ultra rich and lucky people.

I think the reputation system is a good idea in general, but I have three concerns with the implementation:

1) Cartel Market Certificates: These being random undercut much of the benefits of the reputation system. I do understand the desire to gate having everybody running around on a command throne. But having it be completely random is unfair and leads to the same kind of complaints about the randomness of the packs that we saw in shipment 1.

My suggestion: Give subscribers 1 Cartel Market certificate each month with their allotment and give 1 certificate with each ten packs bought, in addition to whatever drops.

2) New Rep grind with each Shipment: This just goes too far. I know the concept, create a fear that you may never reach Legend status so people will rush to buy up packs before they are gone. Look, I admire the ingenuity. I think your CM manager is evil and should promptly be given a raise! :jawa_tongue: But at a certain point, it looks a little crass.

3) Reputation and CM certificates need to be tradeable: The absolute best thing about the Cartel Market is that nearly everything is tradeable for in-game resources. You will gain a lot of good will if you do this at least.

Edited by Master-Nala

Totally not excited about this. Why does it seem like the new stuff is all about squeezing every single cent out of me or another monthly fee. The gree event and rep system seems like a gimmick to keep people subbed for another few weeks. This world event the tokens are BoP while all the previous events had tradeable tokens. This time you add another speeder to keep people doing the gree dailies cause most people have enough rep tokens saved for legend rep, the people with alts that is. Now there is a rep for buying stuff from the cartel market, ugh. Whether people are buying for themselves or to put on the gtn really doesn't matter. I am done spending real life money on cartel items after buying the first couple packs that came out. Seems like EA is all about creating a new impulse buy for people every month now and its disappointing. I am not liking the direction this game is going.

Hmm this move doesn't strike me at all. For the people who love buying packs, this is a way for them to gain reputation and attain in-game items/vanity/titeles that only players who buy packs can get. On the other hand, people or subscribers like me, who never buys packs are unaffected at all. Unless these packs contain something that is absolutely necessary for me to continue playing raid content, like say for example, Nano-infused stims are only purchaseable through contraband packs, then that is something i would deem a low blow.

Just leave these packs be. It's just a way for those people who loves packs to get something that only they can have.

I think people are over reacting >_<

Edited by paowee

All in all, I don't mind the reputation grind. I do think $200-250 for a reputation each time a new shipment happens Is excessive, but that's for each consumer to decide.

What I would like to see is the certificates be bound to legacy. The number of packs you need to open to get 10 of them fills up 3-4 cargo bays. I actually stopped buying the packs after two of the 24 pack bundles when i ran out of room on the toon I wanted the item on (and I can't mail the items to an alt for 1.5 days). Now I've lost the motivation to use this method and have enough rares to sell on the GTN to buy the piece I wanted. Lol, Bioware had the gambler in me going and would have made a killing off me if it weren't for those constraints.

Here's the thing.

This is a game. In a game one assumes there will be an even playing field in regards to reaping the rewards of playing. Once you can buy things that cannot be earned by grinding or otherwise, it ceases to be a game and becomes a country club.

If what you want is a few hundred (maybe a few thousand?) high-roller types to float the game, then this is the way to go. I am not saying this is a bad thing for those who run the game, but for me personally, I will go elsewhere when it becomes apparent that it is the direction the game is headed.

Hmm this move doesn't strike me at all. For the people who love buying packs, this is a way for them to gain reputation and attain in-game items/vanity/titeles that only players who buy packs can get. On the other hand, people or subscribers like me, who never buys packs are unaffected at all. Unless these packs contain something that is absolutely necessary for me to continue playing raid content, like say for example, Nano-infused stims are only purchaseable through contraband packs, then that is something i would deem a low blow.

Just leave these packs be. It's just a way for those people who loves packs to get something that only they can have.

I think people are over reacting >_<

Ask yourself, what is your goal in this game? PVE? PVP? Play through the storylines of each class? Now.. does this move affect any of those at all? Will they make it so exotech stims or mods and enhancements drop off of packs? Will they make it so that packs drop a consumable +100 expertise for 4 hours? Will they lock certain storylines that can only be accessed via some random drop off of a contraband pack? I don't think these packs will negatively affect you at all. They are made i think, imo, for the people who LOVE buying packs. Now they can have a unique title or armor that tells the world, "im a Pack lover!"

No harm in that.

I have my Gree reputation, the space mission reputation, voss, and another one i do not even recall. I have not even reached legendary among the gree yet and have not started with the other reps. I will probably cry about this change when i've maxed all possible reputations in the game, and because i want to have 100% completion of the game, im "forced" to buy these packs just to get their rep. Or worse.. well reread the examples above.

Its fine.

Edited by paowee

Wow... I thought the initial move of CM based Rep was a blow to the face but now theyre putting different reputation on different packs? I subbed for 1 more month. That way if Makeb hits at the end of March I can play that and after that Im gone

Ask yourself, what is your goal in this game? PVE? PVP? Play through the storylines of each class? Now.. does this move affect any of those at all? Will they make it so exotech stims or mods and enhancements drop off of packs? Will they make it so that packs drop a consumable +100 expertise for 4 hours? Will they lock certain storylines that can only be accessed via some random drop off of a contraband pack? I don't think these packs will negatively affect you at all. They are made i think, imo, for the people who LOVE buying packs. Now they can have a unique title or armor that tells the world, "im a Pack lover!"

No harm in that.

I have my Gree reputation, the space mission reputation, voss, and another one i do not even recall. I have not even reached legendary among the gree yet and have not started with the other reps. I will probably cry about this change when i've maxed all possible reputations in the game, and because i want to have 100% completion of the game, im "forced" to buy these packs just to get their rep. Or worse.. well reread the examples above.

Its fine.

It's true that this doesn't "harm" anyone or give any players an advantage in the game. But the whole system feels....sketchy. Like a Hutt Cartel.

What it does kind of do, is make me feel a bit like a second class citizen in the game. I see some items that I would like to have (certain armor and companion customization), and I realize that the idea is that I would need to spend a lot of real money in order to get it (or work my butt off spending a lot of time farming more credits than I've ever earned before to give to someone who has the money to buy these packs just to sell them and make money off my time). On the other hand, I honestly don't really feel all that much love and thanks coming from Bioware for being a loyal subscriber since day 1.

I like this game. I have fun in it. But the more they go down this road, the less fun it feels and the less I look forward to updates.

OK, going to repost this thought again:.

Typically even in raiding, as content becomes outdated, they allow the players behind the curve to catch up and attain things that the more hardcore raiders can get. So what I'm proposing is that they can let the hard core pack buyers get their titles and gear quickly, but later on, when they bring back older packs (as they mentioned they would do), discount them, and allow the tokens to be tradeable. So those who are completionists and vanity gear collectors can at least have access to it without having to spend hundreds of dollars in a short period of time.

What do you think, does this seem like a fair idea?

Why did you implement a new reputation grind that can only be progressed through paying real money? Why are the rewards for achieving status levels items that already exist in the game in previous cartel packs instead of new items?

Your answer:

EA's Cliff Bleszinski Defends Microtransactions

The video game industry is just that. An industry. Which means that it exists in a capitalistic world. You know, a free market. A place where you’re welcome to spend your money on whatever you please… or to refrain from spending that money.

I’ve seen a lot of comments online about microtransactions. They’re a dirty word lately, it seems. Gamers are upset that publishers/developers are “nickel and diming them.” They’re raging at “big and evil corporations who are clueless and trying to steal their money.”

I’m going to come right out and say it. I’m tired of EA being seen as “the bad guy.” I think it’s bull**** that EA has the “scumbag EA” memes on Reddit and that Good Guy Valve can Do No Wrong.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m a huge fan of Gabe and co most everything they do. (Remember, I bought that custom portal turret that took over the internet a while back and I have friends over there.) However, it blows my mind that somehow gamers don’t seem to get that Valve is a business, just like any other, and when Valve charges 100$ for an engagement ring in Team Fortress 2 it’s somehow “cool” yet when EA wants to sell something similar it’s seen as “evil.” Yes, guys, I hate to break it to you, as awesome as Valve is they’re also a company that seeks to make as much money as possible.

They’re just way better at their image control.

Get it now?

BioWare sold out to EA, and then EA sold out entirely.

Instead of standing up for consumers, EA/BioWare decided they were going to sell out to money. If Electronic Arts came out against micro-transactions, they would have won over a mess of loyal customers.

Electronic Arts/BioWare was our last hope, so it stung more when they stabbed everyone.

If Mr. Bleszinski went over to Cryptic's forums, he would have noticed that players are not just complaining about BioWare. Players are angry at the entire industry.

I love BioWare more than I love other companies, and that is why its transition to micro-transactions hurts the most.

DLC = Money reaping.

Micro-transactions = Money reaping.

DRM = Big Brother watching over you.

As a result of moving into this direction, the game industry 'will' cause the fall of PC gaming.

Single-Player Offline Games with expansion packs are superior to the garbage we have now.

We lost our privacy (DRM = lack of user freedom), freedom to own software (MMO = renting software), and consumer protections (horrible customer service & money reaping tactics). Its just a matter of time until people walk away.

No one wants to stand up for the consumer.

Link: EA Named ‘The Worst Company in America’

Some companies just can’t seem to catch a break. With gamer rage growing by the week as publishers and development studios expand and streamline smaller companies, and struggle to build a sustainable business model for the coming digital age, this bit of news shouldn’t surprise anyone. After more than 250,000 votes have been tallied, publisher Electronic Arts has been named ‘The Worst Company in America.

I wonder why?

I love BioWare's products. I just wished it stood on the side of its consumers.

Edited by Linyivee

This should not be part of a game system in any way...it should have all been stuck in the Cartel market UI.

The fact that you have tried implementing this faction in the lore in order to justify,explain or make it connect to the game-world is just extremely disappointing and it feels like a slap to the face to me as a fan of Star Wars and your Old Republic era as a whole.

Its ironic how the greedy hutt cartel in game is looking less greedy than the company behind the people who designed this "faction"

This should not be part of a game system in any way...it should have all been stuck in the Cartel market UI.

The fact that you have tried implementing this faction in the lore in order to justify,explain or make it connect to the game-world is just extremely disappointing and it feels like a slap to the face to me as a fan of Star Wars and your Old Republic era as a whole.

Its ironic how the greedy hutt cartel in game is looking less greedy than the company behind the people who designed this "faction"

Actually the Hutts took over EA about 15 years back. It's true! I met one of them, we had an eating contest in which I lost (but losing never tasted so good!).

You ignore 100 pages of complaining and start your own thread. Really nice job . You can see how ppl are annoyed . If you ever listen to feedback whichj i absolutely dont believe at all, you would remove this nonsense with tomorrow's patch

:mad:

Too much ************ and complaining on this thread. EA is a business. They want to make money. Nothing wrong with that.

Not sure how many of you own or have owned a business, but judging by this thread, the vast majority of you are always expecting to receive their salary every week without ever worrying about any expenses incurred by your employers. So most of you have no idea how to run a business. You are pretty much clueless.

************ for some rep that rewards some fluff items ? Seriously ? Is there any EA employee pointing a gun to your heads to force you to open your wallets ?

You know, I never raid or do any organized pvp cause I am not willing to spend the time doing that, which means I will never get some of the best gear in game, some vehicles, achievemnets, etc.

Am I worried about it ? Not at all. To those people willing to put the effort needed to raid and pvp and get the rewards, I say congrats and enjoy your loot. You earned it because you were willing to do what was required to receive those rewards.

And I will say the same to those willing to spend money on those store packs to get a few exclusive cosmetic items. You earned those things.

And to EA I will say congrats for finding out ways to monetize the game and keep this project going for many more years hopefully. People playing for story are unaffected by this move. People playing to advance their characters through more powerful gear are unaffected by this move.

I think the only people affected by this move are those who want to complete every rep/achievement in game, but seriously people, it's not like your lives are on the line here. Please do not lose any sleep because you can't afford or you just won't spend the money buying those packs.

It's really no big deal. It's just a way of doing more business. The day EA forces you to spend $200 to gain a new level then you come here to cry a river. And even then, I would just recommend to walk away from the game.

After all, it's just a game, and they have the right to find every possible way to make a profit.

One last thing : To the vast majority of people on this thread, don't you ever ever ever try a game like Entropia Universe. It will really be bad for your health LMAO.

You ignore 100 pages of complaining and start your own thread. Really nice job . You can see how ppl are annoyed . If you ever listen to feedback whichj i absolutely dont believe at all, you would remove this nonsense with tomorrow's patch

:mad:

I think they know they have alienated a large portion of the playerbase. Double XP weekends all of sudden?

My inner cynic says this is damage control; keep everyone focused on the expansion and it will all get forgotten. IDK maybe it will work out for them.

To bad you did not release that FAQ yesterday...

I was always a Fanboy, never complained a lot but what you did now will make most subscribers really think about leaving the game. I invested like 200€ yesterday on Cartel Packs cause I am a Mount/Pet collector, so I had to say: smart move BW, now there are even cartel market items which you can't buy off the GTN. So I have to buy these packs to get enough reputation trophies.

In the end I thought it's a lot of cash to gain the required reputation, but was then acting like: Ok, it's another bad step from BW to get more cash but I will "happily" invest my hard earned money to get max reputation for it.

Now in the FAQ you announce, that each shipment will have it's own reputation track. Guess what? When I read that today I really really really regret I bought the packs yesterday. I am not going to invest hundreds of euros each month on top of my subscription.

So what does that mean now? Well, I know that you are already used to subscribers who "announce" that they will leave the game, but with this you even make the hardest fanboys leave the game.

And pls don't argue on something like: Oh hey, you can buy cartel packs from the GTN. Yeh true, you can do that. But for each shipment you would need to invest like 40-50 million credits. Nothing that every player can afford each 4-5 months. So, why don't you make the rep trophies or certificates available for sale at the GTN? I think I can answer that on my own: less profit.

I am so disappointed about BW right now. How the CM system worked before you implemented this greedy new system was okay. This will be now my goodbye-tour until the next "awesome" shipment comes out. Going to sell my account before cause it's not worth anymore to collect stuff.

And I really think you will see a mass decrease in subscriptions over the next few months. I guess nearly every loyal subscriber will feel like this now. But hey, looks like you don't give a **** about loyal customers.

Good luck with a pure f2p model. I think >90% of the packs sold in the CM are bought by subscribers. Piss off your subscribers and make them leave = you will sit on your packs forever.

just my2cents

Irrelevant; it's gear that is not obtainable by an in-game grind. And don't say "oh you can buy packs off the GTN" - we all know that isn't going to be an option for more than a few ultra rich and lucky people.

What about items you get for buying the Collector's Edition? What about pre-order items? Can't get them without paying more or early. Honestly your post just smacks of entitlement and jealousy.

What about items you get for buying the Collector's Edition? What about pre-order items? Can't get them without paying more or early. Honestly your post just smacks of entitlement and jealousy.

As for items you get from collectors edition..some have been recolored and sold...so not really unique anymore. The pre- order items, in case you haven't noticed, they will release on cm with different name. So ....

But anyways to call this a "reward" when they are already getting items bought for, and some cases ingame credits for selling said items, I think is what making people mad. I don't think it has to do anything with jealousy but rather feels like a big middle finger to the paying subs who showed their support by staying with the game when over 1 mill (?) subbers left.