49 to 50 transition

Flysparks

Terrible. I suppose, maybe this has been addressed by the change in epic bag contents but I can't say for sure, as I opened all my bags the day before the patch. I'd just like to point out the inherent flaw in the system:

You need 3 wins/9 wins for your daily/weekly.

You need to be capable of killing other players for your ilum daily/weekly.

Upon reaching 50, it's impossible to kill another 50 in a 1 on 1 fight. This, in conjuction with our server being heavy imperial (anywhere from a 3:1 to 5:1 ratio, as far as I can tell), completely undermines any real ability to complete my Ilum quests for gear. Allow me to thwart any of the standard "baddies are bad" attacks by saying, a 30-45% HP bonus is not (in any game I've ever played) negligible, not to mention the tremendous discrepancy in other crucial stats.

Concerning Warzones, I've gone from getting 8+ medals to <4. There have been several warzones in which I've been unable to even score a killing blow, as my attacks practically ricochet off a fully geared 50. Any game I'm in may as well be 7 vs. 8 as, almost every game, I'm outdamaged by healers.

My main problem here is that, obviously, this situation is not fun at all. This nullifies the entire purpose of the ****GAME***. Also, this is entirely out of focus with the practice of 10-49 warzones which mandate a decently level playing field.

Now, I'm never a fan of proposing problems without also proposing solutions.

1- Increase commendations per bag--- CHECK. Good job!

2- Perhaps make the daily quest only require 2 victories? But what might be a better idea is this: FIX THE BUG WHERE SOME VICTORIES DON'T COUNT TOWARD YOUR DAILY QUESTS. The bug used to be an inconvenience; at 50, it's absolutely enraging.

3- come up with some programming to better match teams, putting a low geared 50 on a team with 7 high geared 50s.

Concerning Ilum-

1- Make a daily/weekly that rewards you for destroying vehicles.

2- Implement a stat-equalizing function similar to what's in 10-49 for the open pvp zone.

3- Implement NPCs for whichever faction is outnumbered which not only aid them in battle, but also count for the daily/weekly kill quests for the opposing faction.

I'm just spitballing here. The game is about fun, after all.

The game should be about 'you get out what you put in' like everything in life.

What most people define as 'fun' nowadays is something that requires utilising no cognitive functions and something very easy.

Challenge and effort = No fun. Apparently.

SWTOR = very n00b friendly prior to the patch/ LOL post bag patch = move of desperation/ longevity destroyed.

R.I.P. ToR, we hardly knew thee :D

Terrible. I suppose, maybe this has been addressed by the change in epic bag contents but I can't say for sure, as I opened all my bags the day before the patch. I'd just like to point out the inherent flaw in the system:

You need 3 wins/9 wins for your daily/weekly.

You need to be capable of killing other players for your ilum daily/weekly.

Upon reaching 50, it's impossible to kill another 50 in a 1 on 1 fight. This, in conjuction with our server being heavy imperial (anywhere from a 3:1 to 5:1 ratio, as far as I can tell), completely undermines any real ability to complete my Ilum quests for gear. Allow me to thwart any of the standard "baddies are bad" attacks by saying, a 30-45% HP bonus is not (in any game I've ever played) negligible, not to mention the tremendous discrepancy in other crucial stats.

Concerning Warzones, I've gone from getting 8+ medals to <4. There have been several warzones in which I've been unable to even score a killing blow, as my attacks practically ricochet off a fully geared 50. Any game I'm in may as well be 7 vs. 8 as, almost every game, I'm outdamaged by healers.

My main problem here is that, obviously, this situation is not fun at all. This nullifies the entire purpose of the ****GAME***. Also, this is entirely out of focus with the practice of 10-49 warzones which mandate a decently level playing field.

Now, I'm never a fan of proposing problems without also proposing solutions.

1- Increase commendations per bag--- CHECK. Good job!

2- Perhaps make the daily quest only require 2 victories? But what might be a better idea is this: FIX THE BUG WHERE SOME VICTORIES DON'T COUNT TOWARD YOUR DAILY QUESTS. The bug used to be an inconvenience; at 50, it's absolutely enraging.

3- come up with some programming to better match teams, putting a low geared 50 on a team with 7 high geared 50s.

Concerning Ilum-

1- Make a daily/weekly that rewards you for destroying vehicles.

2- Implement a stat-equalizing function similar to what's in 10-49 for the open pvp zone.

3- Implement NPCs for whichever faction is outnumbered which not only aid them in battle, but also count for the daily/weekly kill quests for the opposing faction.

I'm just spitballing here. The game is about fun, after all.

When I hit 50 I 1v1 people in my first warzone. If I can do it, why can't you?

The game should be about 'you get out what you put in' like everything in life.

What most people define as 'fun' nowadays is something that requires utilising no cognitive functions and something very easy.

Challenge and effort = No fun. Apparently.

SWTOR = very n00b friendly prior to the patch/ LOL post bag patch = move of desperation/ longevity destroyed.

R.I.P. ToR, we hardly knew thee :D

Wrong. A game is not meant to mirror, say, a career, in which you want to devote a substantial amount of you time. A game is meant to be a release from that aspect of life that requires you to push your boundaries and limitations.

It can be inferred, since I'm concerned solely with PvP (the most cognitive aspect of this game) that I'm not interested in spamming tracer missile perpetually. Oh, I'm sorry. What I mean to say is, I'm no stranger to cognitive gameplay.

Challenge and effort = fun. Impossible odds/obstacles to overcome = no fun.

Battlemaster dumping on a fresh 50 = fun...ny. not fun.

You're funny.

When I hit 50 I 1v1 people in my first warzone. If I can do it, why can't you?

My first question is when did you hit 50? If there were many fresh 50s to compete with, that would answer your question. I can assure you, nearly 2 months after release, this is not the case.

Maybe it is you not a perceived imbalance?

Dinged 50 yesterday and have no problems being 2nd or 3rd in damage and top in medals.

Maybe you had 1000 merc and wz commendations and opened 5 bags for a total of 75 commendations and bought your weapon. As mentioned, I hit 50 the day before the patch and opened 9 bags for a total of 27 commendations, yielding NO new gear.

*edit: And, maybe you're one of those medal farming classes that racks up around 13 per game.

Edited by Flysparks

I disagree. I just hit 50 two days ago. Have I been getting my *** kicked most of the time? Sure.. but I've also had plenty of games with my usual 6-9 medals and a team victory. This with 3 cent pieces. I was expecting to hate the 50 bracket immensely and upon hitting it I fail to see what all the crying is about. Learn your class and others.. some tactics.. in 1-49 I knew I could just run in with some stims and pop a few medpacs and just ****... now I have to be much more cautious/careful of the situation and my surroundings.

Just keep at it and stop whining.. its not going to get you anywhere. Stop expecting to dominate and get better

It sounds odd, but if you want to be viable entering the 50 bracket then you're going to have to do a bit of gearing up. You can't simply ding 50 and be ready for pvp. There was a good post around here a few days ago suggesting how to ease into the bracket.

Ah good times.

Character just turn 50 and go to warzone try to get 3 wins.

Finish by doing a total of 15 warzone, 4 wins(one doesn't count) and 11 lost(Keep getting into warzone that already lost, 3 cap alderaan, 2m left turn 2 voidstar, 5-0 Huttball)

Typical I said.

Maybe you had 1000 merc and wz commendations and opened 5 bags for a total of 75 commendations and bought your weapon. As mentioned, I hit 50 the day before the patch and opened 9 bags for a total of 27 commendations, yielding NO new gear.

*edit: And, maybe you're one of those medal farming classes that racks up around 13 per game.

Opened my bags and got implant and relic. Waiting to buy anything with comms until i finish my two weeklys so i dont waste comms right off the bat.

http://i40.tinypic.com/jjldec.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/34xjclh.jpg

Orange gear minus a relic and implant.

Again, it is a L2P issue from my standpoint.

Stop expecting to dominate and get better

The OP does not whine, it states a problem and potential solutions. It is not a plea to make the game easier, it is a plea to not put fresh 50s in a nascar race driving a Ford Pinto. The problem is not that I'm not good, it's that my skill has literally NO POTENTIAL to shine, a direct result of the disgusting stack of numbers against me. It is a game of mathematics, at its root. I have 1 piece of centurion gear, btw.

Treasure the moments of being undergeared in PVP; they are the prime time that you will learn how to utilize every skill your character has. Also, I'll post something I wrote on my server forum. :)

The first thing you shouldn't do, is press that button for the Warzone. Once you hit cap level, you have to realize that you need to begin the process of approaching at least Tier 1 Gear, before you enter the arena. If you go into an Arena unprepared, you are just weighing down your team, while being blown up by Expertised geared players. There are a few things you can do to prepare prior to this, in the 1-49 Warzone while you're the big-boy with all your skills and talents. Consider the following a check list.

1) Make sure to get 1,000 Warzone Commendations, and 1,000 Mercenary Commendations prior to level 50.

2) Make sure that you have purchased your Champion Bag [unique] prior to level 50.

3) During your leveling process, do Corellia Heroics that will provide you with level 49 purple modifications for your gear. They only cost two per part. This should be a natural part of your gear process, without much effort.

4) Make sure you have Orange Modable gear for every slot possible. If the trade off is worth it [sometimes is!], consider the Fleet Commendations for Belt/Bracers that you can modify.

5) Perform Illum and Belsavis level 50 Dailies to achieve 5x Artifact grade Modifications, Enhancements, and Armor Modifications.

6) Upgrade your weapon to a rating of 126.

7) Obtain Reuseable Medpack, Stimpack, and Adrenal. [if you're a serious PVP, this is a must unless you are supplying mats to a guild mate for blue level items.]

8) Purchase the final tier Crit/Surge/Power Relic.

9) Get your Matrix Cube.

10) Replace all your items with Purple items. Ears/implants usually go for 50k, and at level 50, you shouldn't have an issue obtaining the money to do so.

There are dailies in Ilum and Belsavis for level 50s that provide: level 50 Purple Modifications, Enhancements, and Armors. I know the Sith side quests are as follows:

Illum

Poisonous Strategy (Heroic 2+) - 3 Daily Commendations, Artifact Enhancement 22.

Belsavis

Old Enemies (Heroic 4) - 3 Daily Commendations and Artifact Armoring 22.

Freeing the Fallen (Heroic 2+) - 3 Daily Commendations and Artifact Mod 22.

Now, with your hard earned Daily Commendations, you can also purchase a Grade 126 Hilt/Barrel for your weapon, which should only cost 8 Daily Commendations. You can repeat this process every day, until you gear up. Your orange items will be -better- than Tionese items, due to the stats all being aligned to what you are attempting to do in PVP. Sure, you won't have set bonuses, but you'll be fine. I strongly recommend that you go with Crit/Surge Enhancements to allow you to have a better burst in PVP since you won't have any Expertise.

With your dailies out of you way, it's now crucial that you begin the process of acquiring Stimpacks/Medpacks to use in PVP. If you -really- want to be the best you can in PVP, you're going to be using Biochem. This means, you're going to want to go and do Black Talon to acquire Biometric Crystals. By the time your week of dailies is done, you should have acquired the materials to make reusable Stimpacks, an Adrenal, and a Medpack. Chances are, you can easily run these missions with your guild members who will already have acquired these parts.

Tionese vs Orange Gear

I know many of you are like, "Well, I can just run Hard Modes and level 50 Instances and get Tionese gear!" Well, that gear isn't worth the time or effort. Let's look for a moment at gear for an Operative:

Tionese Set: [Armor only.]

Cunning - 497

Endurance - 520

Power - 194

Accuracy - 160

Orange Gear with level 50 daily Mods:

Cunning - 602

Endurance - 636

Critical Rating - 191

Surge Rating - 195

Now, remember, the Tionese gear requires you to spend an hour or two doing instances, and hoping for a random drop. I have one guild member who has ran BT ten times and hasn't gotten a single drop. Conversely, you could spend the week getting the enhancements/mods/armor which allows you to skip straight to Tier 2 instances. If you have guild members that are willing to help you, the mission rewards are actually TRADEABLE. It is possible to get all your parts for your level 50 gear in a single day, if your guild is willing to help. Do not waste your time trying to get this gear.

Important Disclaimer

PVP gear isn't the best gear in the universe. I know, shocking. Yes, expertise is AMAZING, since it functions in three major aspects of PVP, but you can still dramatically increase your viability as a level 50 if you focus purely on burst damage. One trade off in the PVP Champion gear is the Accuracy Dump Stat in the mods in the gear, so while wearing Champion Gear, a character can find themselves with substantially lower Critical and Surge ratings. To give you an idea, if I'm wearing my PVE set, I have ~37% Crit and 80% Surge, but when I'm in my PVP gear, I'm at 31% Crit and 66% Surge. That's a pretty substantial difference.

Also, this guide was written at 3am, so there may be errors in it, but the gist of it is all the truth. ;)

Centurion Gear

Armguards - 25

Belt - 25

Boots - 39

Ear - 21

Gloves - 39

Headgear - 39

Implant - 21x2

Jacket - 39

Secondary Weapon - 24

Pants - 39

Primary Weapon - 72

Relics = 14x2

Total = 432 Commendations.

Champion Bags Required to Obtain All = 29

Champion Gear

Armguards - 44

Belt - 44

Boots - 67

Ear - 67

Gloves - 67

Headgear - 67

Implant - 36x2

Jacket - 67

Secondary Weapon - 41

Pants - 67

Primary Weapon - 123

Relics - 24x2

Total = 774 Commendations.

Champion Bags Required to Obtain All = 111

Battle Master Bags Required - 51.6

Edited by KyoMamoru

The OP does not whine, it states a problem and potential solutions. It is not a plea to make the game easier, it is a plea to not put fresh 50s in a nascar race driving a Ford Pinto. The problem is not that I'm not good, it's that my skill has literally NO POTENTIAL to shine, a direct result of the disgusting stack of numbers against me. It is a game of mathematics, at its root. I have 1 piece of centurion gear, btw.

You are the OP, and you are whining.

Few weeks ago: ITS THE 50'S THAT ARE CAUSING ME TO LOSE.

Now: OMG ITS GEAR!

Future: MY CLASS IS GIMPED, IT'S STILL NOT ME!

Granted, the forums are the place for people that just ragequit to vent.

Edited by Moosestick

Opened my bags and got implant and relic. Waiting to buy anything with comms until i finish my two weeklys so i dont waste comms right off the bat.

http://i40.tinypic.com/jjldec.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/34xjclh.jpg

Orange gear minus a relic and implant.

Again, it is a L2P issue from my standpoint.

I dunno man. Maybe you're a sorcerer so your damage isn't mitigated by armor? I lost literally half my damage, going from 150k+ to <75k; >3k backstabs to <2.5k

PVP should not be about grinding. I should be able to hop in a WZ at lvl 50 and play agasint someone who is 50 for 2 months and beat him if im the better player. Sure there should be pvp rewards but this exptertise stuff has got 2 go bro.

You totally clueless.Expertise wasnt implemented as reward for pvp grind,it was implemented so freshly dinged 50`s and ppl who play for pvp only wont be stomped by ppl in high tier raid gear.Remove expertise and you will be rolled all day long by raiders in rakata.

What hurts a burst class the most in the transition is players go from having an average of 11,000 hp to an average of 16,000 hp. Aside from that the fact that people actually have all their talents, and moves on their bar. Edited by KyoMamoru

I dunno man. Maybe you're a sorcerer so your damage isn't mitigated by armor? I lost literally half my damage, going from 150k+ to <75k; >3k backstabs to <2.5k

So 10% decrease on backstab equals 50% of your damage?Somewhere in your post i smell lotsa fail.

I dinged 50 a little before the bag change so I feel your pain about getting nothing out of them, however I certainly didn't have too much of an issue with the gear differences. In my first warzones I still made significant contributions to the group. Granted I'm a healer, but you should consider buying gear upgrades off the auction hall, or running a few flashpoints before heading into the warzones. Joining warzones at level 50 isn't much different than joining operations at level 50. You're better off gearing up a little before attempting them. Getting the Hilt and Armor mods or even some purple pieces go a long way towards letting you compete.

The transition from 49 to 50 pvp is horrible and very jarring.

You go from a nice, evenly balanced 10-49 bracket that is fun and fair to being sheer fodder for anyone (most) who have better gear than you. Expertise and gear mean too much in pvp for this game.

I had hoped for a better pvp experience but this game DOES NOT deliver.

PVP should not be about grinding. I should be able to hop in a WZ at lvl 50 and play agasint someone who is 50 for 2 months and beat him if im the better player. Sure there should be pvp rewards but this exptertise stuff has got 2 go bro.

^ this. I don't know about the expertise part, but definitely the former. And, Moose, you're just determined to be blind to reason and make ridiculous accusations against me with no evidence. I never complained about 50s being in the universal warzones and will never complain about a class being gimped. Played WoW for 6 years and never pulled the underpowered card once. So, good job on being extremely closed minded and void of empathy.