Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Came to ask how Ranked PvP system works

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Came to ask how Ranked PvP system works

Dirtfft
03.02.2019 , 12:12 AM | #1
But after Reading through several threads I think I'll slowly back outta here and forget about Ranked pvp

Jinre_the_Jedi
03.02.2019 , 04:07 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Dirtfft View Post
But after Reading through several threads I think I'll slowly back outta here and forget about Ranked pvp
Nice.

Lhancelot
03.02.2019 , 09:48 AM | #3
It's a system that in theory would work but the success of it hinges on it not being easily cheated/manipulated which just isn't the case and never has been.

The most common way in which ELO is gained is to win trade which in turn then ruins your match if you happen to get just one player on your team that is compromising your win for his "friend" on the other team.

Every loss can crush your ELO, and when you got rampant win trading going on chances are you will run into win traders and lose ELO and it will have nothing to do with you or your team's performance in the match.

Again, it would be fine if they had a way to ensure matches were not so easily cheated but since they are, it simply doesn't work in determining who honestly is the top 1-3 in skill. It's who cheats the best and doesn't get caught.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

Dirtfft
03.03.2019 , 03:14 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
It's a system that in theory would work but the success of it hinges on it not being easily cheated/manipulated which just isn't the case and never has been.

The most common way in which ELO is gained is to win trade which in turn then ruins your match if you happen to get just one player on your team that is compromising your win for his "friend" on the other team.

Every loss can crush your ELO, and when you got rampant win trading going on chances are you will run into win traders and lose ELO and it will have nothing to do with you or your team's performance in the match.

Again, it would be fine if they had a way to ensure matches were not so easily cheated but since they are, it simply doesn't work in determining who honestly is the top 1-3 in skill. It's who cheats the best and doesn't get caught.
ELO? is that the rating? what does it stand for?

Banderal
03.03.2019 , 03:29 PM | #5
ELO? is that the rating? what does it stand for?
Ok, I'm not sure if you are actually looking for more detail about how ranked is working right now or not, but here goes...

ELO - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Basically, it's a player's rating in ranked PvP. In theory, as you play PvP matches, and win or lose against other players, the game is keeping track of how you did vs. how you should have done. Win and your ELO goes up. Lose and it goes down.

What you might have seen here in the forums, in the past, is a lot of complaining about how the ELO calculations in SWTOR were unfair because of win-traders, afk'rs, or just plain "I'm not grouped up with people good enough for me" (no one complains "I keep getting grouped up with people too good for me ). But overall the complaint for solo-ranked is that "3 other players affect my ELO", and you have no control over those other 3 on your team in solo ranked.

Currently, for ranked, they added Ossus reputation (which you need to buy any 252 or 258 gear), ossus crystals (ditto), and they added a weekly solo ranked mission for the super-extra-special crystal you need to be able to buy 258 main and off hands. So, probably this is why, there seem to be more people queuing up for solo ranked now. I started queuing up because of that. I've found the players in solo ranked to be mostly helpful and not really all that toxic. But I listen to advice, try to get better, and always try to win. I suppose if I were afk'ing for matts or something, I would probably see a different response.

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

Dirtfft
03.03.2019 , 03:42 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
Ok, I'm not sure if you are actually looking for more detail about how ranked is working right now or not, but here goes...

ELO - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Basically, it's a player's rating in ranked PvP. In theory, as you play PvP matches, and win or lose against other players, the game is keeping track of how you did vs. how you should have done. Win and your ELO goes up. Lose and it goes down.

What you might have seen here in the forums, in the past, is a lot of complaining about how the ELO calculations in SWTOR were unfair because of win-traders, afk'rs, or just plain "I'm not grouped up with people good enough for me" (no one complains "I keep getting grouped up with people too good for me ). But overall the complaint for solo-ranked is that "3 other players affect my ELO", and you have no control over those other 3 on your team in solo ranked.

Currently, for ranked, they added Ossus reputation (which you need to buy any 252 or 258 gear), ossus crystals (ditto), and they added a weekly solo ranked mission for the super-extra-special crystal you need to be able to buy 258 main and off hands. So, probably this is why, there seem to be more people queuing up for solo ranked now. I started queuing up because of that. I've found the players in solo ranked to be mostly helpful and not really all that toxic. But I listen to advice, try to get better, and always try to win. I suppose if I were afk'ing for matts or something, I would probably see a different response.
thanks for that, it was just curiosity as I cant see jumping into ranked atm, The Monumental data crystal mission is also why i was looking into it, it seems i would be trying to get above .500 win/loss to get ranking to complete the mission, I really dont agree with a system that rewards cheaters and hurt ppl that are below .500 that cant possibly get above that to get performance enhancing gear , I mean they need it worse than the elite players, I agree the elites should get rewards that lower capable players cant but it shouldnt be better gear when they are already better, that just is nonsense. once everyone l2p then the best players will only be the ones with the top rankings

Banderal
03.03.2019 , 04:09 PM | #7
Hmm, I may have gotten the mission wrong, or misunderstood your point about the .500 ratio... but I don't think there is any specific rank attached to the crystal mission. "Better" (or more lucky, depending on how you view it) players will finish it faster, because it's 50 matches and wins count for 5. So if you win them all you can finish the weekly in just 10 games, but if you are the worst possible you'd have to play through 50 of them. I'm definitely middle-tier. I'm on the winning side about 1/2 the time, so I took about 16-17 games to finish that mission.

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

Dirtfft
03.03.2019 , 05:07 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
Hmm, I may have gotten the mission wrong, or misunderstood your point about the .500 ratio... but I don't think there is any specific rank attached to the crystal mission. "Better" (or more lucky, depending on how you view it) players will finish it faster, because it's 50 matches and wins count for 5. So if you win them all you can finish the weekly in just 10 games, but if you are the worst possible you'd have to play through 50 of them. I'm definitely middle-tier. I'm on the winning side about 1/2 the time, so I took about 16-17 games to finish that mission.

ah so its not by rank thats cool