LF Crafting skill to make money

johanlofdahl

Dear Community,

I am a returning player since about a month ago. I've so far been using gathering skills and mission skills to set up a steady flow of income. However, I am finding myself enjoying crew skills more then I actually thought I would. Therefore I am looking for a good crafting skill to enhance my experience.

I've got highlevels that uses all kinds of primary stats. Strength, Willpower, Cunning, Aim.

What I am looking for is a crafting skill that has attractive goods for the GTN, doesnt neccessarly have to be the highlevel stuff but I wish to get more involved in crafting and making a investment to further my cash income.

Incase some class has a good crit ratio on a crew skill I will list the ones I have available for picking and leveling up a crafting skill:

- 2 Inquisitors

- Sith Warrior

- Imperial Agent

- Trooper

- Jedi Knight

Any helpful input is highly appreciated.

Crafting is a time and money sink if you are looking to make money of it. I think it costs about 400k to max 1 skill. And you won't be making any real money unless you RE some high level mods / barrels / enhancements. If you want to make money, just get 3 gatherer skills (bioanalysis / scavenging / slicing) and sell the mats.

Cybertech used to be good, but now with the Planetary Commendations (where you can buy armorings / mods), the market has fallen out. Same thing with Artifice and crystals.

Edited by HBCentaurion

If you want to make money, just get 3 gatherer skills (bioanalysis / scavenging / slicing) and sell the mats.

If you have no risen skills - gathering ones (and Slicing for boxes till 400) is easy way to get credits.

I've so far been using gathering skills and mission skills to set up a steady flow of income. .

Hey guys, thank you for your insightful replies. I was looking for a crafting profession to "expand my experience". I quite enjoy making a challenge of it and trying to turn it into a profit. Obviously I know it costs credits, but I already have alot of "gatherers" which you might have known if you read the first line of text in my post.

I have a sythnweaver and I do very nice on making the agument tools and aguments.

Thank you! I was actually kind of torn between Synthweaving and Artifice, I prefer playing force-users so thought something like that would be nice.

Also cant hurt to make moddable gear, should bring something while skilling up the prof right?

Best regards

Edited by johanlofdahl

If you have enough gatherers...

Synt/Armor = augments (& possibly kits if you have CT for cheap kit components).

GTN is flooded with CM orange shells, maybe one only crafted I use - SI chest (black, hood down).

CyberTech - armorings, mods & ears (all classes), droid equipment (best way to make mk-9 kits is via droid parts that take 2,2,2 410-450 scavenging mats) blue or moddable... maybe better to begin with that.

Artifice - hilts & enhancements.

Biochem - reusables on this char (shine on tanks till NiM), med-packs, stims & adrenals for sale/other chars, implants.

Armstech - barrels & augments.

So get CT first, get good stacks of mats from scavenging, many middle level blue armorings & mods sells well.

Artifice next - middle level tanking or high power enhancements... might/resolve hilts also (check commendation vendors for gaps on those - they mostly have guardian/force wielder).

Legacy armor set = any end game drop could extract arm/mod/enh & RE for schematic.

Armor/Synt - depend on companion + crit (Tano Vik for example have +5% on Armor) - last night I got 8 augments from 5 queued (10000 affection & legacy of crafting), before that 7 kits from 5 queued.

If you going to PUG or even guild HM FPs/SM OPS tanking - use Bio on this char - 2 more CDs without price are worth enough in long time.

Arms - seem as going last ... worth to have barrels & some augment but not as first choice in your case.

I've been doing fairly well as an artiface selling purple hilts and upgrades on the GTN. When I can get my hands on the rare gemstones, it's easy to make 100k a night on just a couple level 8-9 items. I've hit a dry spell on those gemstones though, so it's lumpy income.

I've been doing fairly well as an artiface selling purple hilts and upgrades on the GTN. When I can get my hands on the rare gemstones, it's easy to make 100k a night on just a couple level 8-9 items. I've hit a dry spell on those gemstones though, so it's lumpy income.

Blue ones are better income in long way (need more work also) and you get mats till chasing purple ones.

Blue ones are better income in long way (need more work also) and you get mats till chasing purple ones.

Hey Morfius,

Thank you for your long answer, this was exactly the kind of details I was looking for! Much appreciated mate. Anyways I've been short on time lately, much at work so sorry for my slow and short reply.

Best regards

Crafting is a time and money sink if you are looking to make money of it. I think it costs about 400k to max 1 skill. And you won't be making any real money unless you RE some high level mods / barrels / enhancements. If you want to make money, just get 3 gatherer skills (bioanalysis / scavenging / slicing) and sell the mats.

Cybertech used to be good, but now with the Planetary Commendations (where you can buy armorings / mods), the market has fallen out. Same thing with Artifice and crystals.

I respectfully disagree. The overarching question is what is the definition of "real money?" Obviously, your definition and mine do not correlate.

In the last month, I have made 4+ million credits crafting and selling grade 28 item modifications (armoring, mod, enhancement, augment, hilts) - the overwhelming majority of which are blue quality - and even some crafted dyes; not "top end" by any means. And my legacy's "net worth" is well over 16 million. To a lot of players that probably sounds a lot like "real money." To others that is just a drop in the bucket. It boils down to an individual player's needs.

Because my income greatly exceeds my expenses, that one million credits a week is a very good thing. But I am only running SM 55 Ops and my characters are already overgeared for that content, so I have little to spend my income on (nothing but gear repairs and running missions for materials). On the other hand, if someone is trying to gear up/optimize a character through the GTM because they are running HM and/or NiM Ops and need every little bit to progress, then that 1 million per week won't even scratch the surface. It is up to the individual to determine what he/she defines as "real money."

But it is also on the player to be realistic in their goals. Starting from nothing, setting one's goal at 100 million credits is not realistic. And, with respect, your advice only perpetuates players setting themselves up for disappointment.

Getting back to the OP, I agree with Morfius 100% - that CT is the way to go. With it you can craft armoring and mods and ear pieces for all your characters.

And while it is more expensive in materials, there is a synergy between REing ear pieces from CT, and implants from BC, and foci from ART for schematics and acquiring augment slot components to turn into augment slot kits with your AM, SW, and/or AT.

I respectfully disagree. The overarching question is what is the definition of "real money?" Obviously, your definition and mine do not correlate.

In the last month, I have made 4+ million credits crafting and selling grade 28 item modifications (armoring, mod, enhancement, augment, hilts) - the overwhelming majority of which are blue quality - and even some crafted dyes; not "top end" by any means. And my legacy's "net worth" is well over 16 million. To a lot of players that probably sounds a lot like "real money." To others that is just a drop in the bucket. It boils down to an individual player's needs.

Because my income greatly exceeds my expenses, that one million credits a week is a very good thing. But I am only running SM 55 Ops and my characters are already overgeared for that content, so I have little to spend my income on (nothing but gear repairs and running missions for materials). On the other hand, if someone is trying to gear up/optimize a character through the GTM because they are running HM and/or NiM Ops and need every little bit to progress, then that 1 million per week won't even scratch the surface. It is up to the individual to determine what he/she defines as "real money."

But it is also on the player to be realistic in their goals. Starting from nothing, setting one's goal at 100 million credits is not realistic. And, with respect, your advice only perpetuates players setting themselves up for disappointment.

Getting back to the OP, I agree with Morfius 100% - that CT is the way to go. With it you can craft armoring and mods and ear pieces for all your characters.

And while it is more expensive in materials, there is a synergy between REing ear pieces from CT, and implants from BC, and foci from ART for schematics and acquiring augment slot components to turn into augment slot kits with your AM, SW, and/or AT.

I would add that although CT was screwed to the pooch with the 2.0 changes (blue mods and armoring for commendations and purples from the Makab vendor at 50), that BW in it's infinite competence left holes in what you can buy at different levels. By holes, I mean that at times the mods or armoring that you need are not offered for commendations and rather than skipping two or four levels thay actually skip 8. I craft for myself and companion when in a hole, but clearly that is a opportunity along with the level 28 stuff .

I am not trying to make credits any more, but believe that the opportunity is lessing because there are less and less people playing (pop seems to be dropping by quite a bit again), so the market is shrinking as there are less people to buy crafted goods and fewer people are leveling alts. There is less gearing happening in an environment where there is a greater proportion of crafters / sellers.

Edited by asbalana

So while a lot of people are advocating for Cybertech and even Biochem I would like to put out there that if you are patient you can actually make quite a nice profit with Armstech. On my first toon ever I selected armstech because it sounded cool (Hey I was new), and while it seemed at times that it was not as useful as cybertech or biochem I made credits hand over fist (I had 1 mil before lvl 30 no joke) for a few reasons:

1. Very Very few people even have armstech so there was little competition for me when selling things on the GTN

2. Armstech uses scavenging. I actually only ran scavenging missions when I needed flux to make something otherwise I just gathered the mats from the planetary nodes as those mats are everywhere on most planets and from most droids in FP's.

3. You can make weapons with more tertiary stats such as power, crit, surge, defense etc. than you can get from mods and enhancements (you sacrifice a little in endurance and mainstat but not too much) and those weapons can be made at low levels ( I had weapons w/ absorb as low as level 15ish)

What I did to make money was I would make the blue weapons (ignore purple they sell for less than they cost to make) as they could be made cheaply since the only missions I would have to run were investigation ones. Those weapons as a result would cost me somewhere between 100-500 credits to make due to the investigation missions. However, with patience I was always able to sell every weapon I made on the GTN for a decent markup. A vibroblade that cost me 100 credits to craft would usually sell for anywhere from 1500k-2000k which is a huge profit when you get down to it.

The key if you want to make credits with armstech (even armormech for that matter) is patience. When you list things on the GTN make sure you do two things. First, check the GTN LOL. Second, think "if I was <insert level> what would I be willing to spend on this weapon" and list it for that or cheaper (making sure it is still more than it cost you). I have found that typically melee weapons sell the best on the GTN, especially vibroknives. As far as ranged weapons are concerned the best selling for me are always the tank stat ones because like I said you can make ones with shield, absorb and defense long before people can get enhancements with those stats. Keep in mind that crafted weapons still have removable crystals so that works in your favor as well.

Finally, to wrap up (hopefully this all makes sense) I mentioned to not waste your time on purple weapons and I stand by that until you start crafting the upper level ones. At lower levels the cost to make those weapons are not worth it as most won't fork over 5k plus for a weapon that will be out leveled in an hour or so, however, after around level 35ish they become more viable if you have the extra mats just laying around but only if you have them laying around as people won't over level the weapon as fast. So I have been pretty long winded but I hope this makes sense and helps you out.

If you have neither the desire nor resources to get to making level 31 stuff, then just take gathering skills - bioanalysis, archaeology, scavenging, slicing. Run them up to 450 then run the Rich and Abundant missions for all (except Slicing; run only the Unslicable for Slicing) and sell the results on GTN.

Crew affection at 10k helps a lot.

You'll make money without thinking too hard or chasing level 31 patterns. Not a TON of money, but probably more than enough.

I am not trying to make credits any more, but believe that the opportunity is lessing because there are less and less people playing (pop seems to be dropping by quite a bit again), so the market is shrinking as there are less people to buy crafted goods and fewer people are leveling alts. There is less gearing happening in an environment where there is a greater proportion of crafters / sellers.

This is a normal timing issue.

- Summer weather is cooling off so more people are spending time outdoors.

- School (K-12 and college) has forced students and teachers who played during the summer to reduce their time

Once autumn kicks in and the weather turns cold, more will stay indoors and play games. And once the routine of school settles down, students and teachers will find more time to play.

But...be warned...the holiday season is just around the corner and there will be another dip then. The "spring break" season brings another dip and so does the end of the school year.

If you have neither the desire nor resources to get to making level 31 stuff, then just take gathering skills - bioanalysis, archaeology, scavenging, slicing. Run them up to 450 then run the Rich and Abundant missions for all (except Slicing; run only the Unslicable for Slicing) and sell the results on GTN.

Crew affection at 10k helps a lot.

You'll make money without thinking too hard or chasing level 31 patterns. Not a TON of money, but probably more than enough.

Again it depends on what one considers to be a "TON of money." My legacy's net worth is rapidly approaching 20 million credits. I have four characters (SW, AM, ART, and CT) making 250k to 500k a day (total) selling mostly grade 28 item modifications (mostly blue quality to boot). That's 1.75 to 3.5 million credits a week. For a lot of players that is more credits than they could ever spend.

Again it depends on what one considers to be a "TON of money." My legacy's net worth is rapidly approaching 20 million credits. I have four characters (SW, AM, ART, and CT) making 250k to 500k a day (total) selling mostly grade 28 item modifications (mostly blue quality to boot). That's 1.75 to 3.5 million credits a week. For a lot of players that is more credits than they could ever spend.

There once was a time that weekly was less than my daily. Then I backed off quite a bit.

I consider a TON of money the sort of income the people boasting 270,000,000 credits net worth in their forum signatures generate.

I made four million credits selling Bioanalysis mats last weekend. For me this is the only sure fire money maker. For example I've made very little money with Cybertech that my alt maxed out in but the money I save in armoing, mods, earpieces pays for itself but what I want is always available not true on GTN.

There once was a time that weekly was less than my daily. Then I backed off quite a bit.

I consider a TON of money the sort of income the people boasting 270,000,000 credits net worth in their forum signatures generate.

If I wanted to try harder I could make ten times what I now make, but I have no reason to try harder other than "bragging rights," and for me that is not enough incentive.

Edited by psandak

I forgot to mention that the key for making money with Bioanalysis mats is to stock pile during the week so they are ready to go on the weekend. That said you can sell make serious money on weekdays but the weekend is when Christmas arrives. That said I've failed at every other business venture I've tried so I'm not one to talk.

There 2 main ways to make alot of money.

1. Aim for top end gear that sells 1 million or more for a single item.

This requires massive work upfront and alot of money. Not to mention grinding flashpoints to get rare item drops to RE in hopes that eventually you'll get a schematic. Once it's going you can make hundreds of millions of credits.

2. What most people have mentioned, market mid level gear to people leveling. Instead of one expensive million dollar items sell 30 20,000k items

The effort involved is minimal and the cost is almost nothing. The difficulty is finding a gap in the market to sell in. Becoming a millionaire is easy but you'll only have tens of millions, not hundreds of millions.

Personally my old market was selling space upgrades. Material costs are low and easily self produced, effort is so small I do it while sitting in a Warzone countdown, and sells for 10-20 times the materials cost. I don't know if it's still lucrative but it was still going after the Cartel space packs came out.

I still like CT the most but find something that sells well with little competition; I've thought artifice off-hands always seemed like there was a market gap.

Blue gear in the 20-40 range is a very busy market. Look there.