REQUEST: Support for Disabled - Video Game Controller Compatibility

PeepsMcJuggs

Moving from the community support forums:

Bioware,

Initially, I wasn't going to suggest this, as I was content to come up with my own ways to use a controller in SWTOR, but in the midst of the multiple iterations of my tutorial thread, it has come to my attention that there are several players that require use of a controller in order to play due to physical injuries or disabilities (believe it or not, there's a lot of hand injuries in the gaming community). Based on this fact alone, I think it's prudent that you implement support for controller use in SWTOR. Specifically in allowing axial movements to control character movement and camera rotation.

I'm offering this a serious suggestion for those that want to play this game, and are physically limited from doing so. As I've said, I have third-party alternatives for my own benefit, but these players deserve an opportunity to enjoy this game with the rest of us without having to go through the difficult process of using third-party software to force SWTOR into accepting controller inputs.

Devs, you can find the original thread here, where many disabled gamers have voiced their support of this request: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=346072

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

• 2 weeks later...
I am not able to use my left hand very well and agree that a game controller would be indeed very helpfull . I am trying out the suggesstions at the top of this 2nd part of thread and am greatfull for this persons help.

/signed. However, I feel a link to the riginal thread for this idea should be linked in this thread so any dev that may wonder upon it may ealize its not jsut 4-5 ppl asking for this ability......so here it is so they may see that there are MANY disabled gamers interested in said integration :) :

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=346072

/signed. However, I feel a link to the riginal thread for this idea should be linked in this thread so any dev that may wonder upon it may ealize its not jsut 4-5 ppl asking for this ability......so here it is so they may see that there are MANY disabled gamers interested in said integration :) :

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=346072

Good point, thank you. I'll add the link to the OP. Devs, please do follow that link...there's a lot of disabled gamers that want to see this implemented.

I am not disabled, but I would love to be able to use a video game type controller to play this game. I am mainly an xbox gamer, and I am having huge trouble getting used to the keyboard/ mouse controls. I, however, do have several disabled friends and family, including my brother, and I support the desire people with disabilities have to play this game in a way that is most comfortable for them, if not the only way they can play the game.

Surely games should be about support and choice. Many games released now on PC have controller support, why not this one? Especially when this game is essentially a sequal to two highly popluar xbox games, why is there no controller support in game? I'm not a computer programmer, and I don't feel I should have to become one just to play the game the way I want.

How many button combinations are available on a standard controller?

That entirely depends on the controller, how you've set it up, and how robust your software is. Configured correctly, you can have over 50 commands on a standard video game controller. The point of this thread is by integrating controller support, those that are physically limited from playing this game will have options that provide better precision and accuracy and allow them to viably participate in this MMO.

I am thinking about getting the ps3 chat console, I could be wrong about the name but the

original poster has a terrific link showing 4 different items

It's called the PS3 Keypad, and it's definitely useful if you're looking to game wirelessly.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...