What are people's thoughts on Phase Walk nowadays?

SlimPikinz

I'm back playing again after a 2.5-3 year break and I was just reading over some of my old posts.

The posts in question:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=876241&highlight=Phase+walk

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=885559

One of my biggest complaints back then was the Phase Walk ability which, at that time, both Sorcs and Sins had.

My main complaints about it then were it being 60 meters, usuable through walls and floors, usuable while stunned, doesn't require a target, instantly breaks LoS. ........................... ^This is the important one.

Also important to remember is that it enabled a skilled Sorc player to interrupt a capper through a wall from 90 meters away (60 meter teleport range + 30 attack range) all within the span of one global cooldown.

The video in the second link @07:32 just shows how skilled players could really abuse it.

As an ex-Sin main, it makes me glad that I can't abuse this ability anymore.

My suggestion would be to nerf range or consume all remaining force when used.

Was/Am I out-of-line wanting this ability nerfed or changed and if so why?

What is the PvP community's thoughts in Phase Walk in the current meta?

Phase Walk is not only needed, it's fun.

The last thing they need to do is remove more abilities that are enjoyable to use. Phase Walk also isn't buggy like some of the other newer movement abilities like the holotraverse thing operatives have etc. With the amount of CC, stuns, roots, etc. that is abundant now Phase Walk is necessary, I can't imagine playing my healing sorc in this meta if he did not have Phase Walk.

I think sins need it back, and it needs to be reworked for sorcs.

DPS sorcs need it, since their healing isn't really all that useful in combat. I think healing sorcs need it nerfed, with a cast time or more restrictive limitations on distance or line of sight.

I'd give it a base with a cast time 1s on activation, and line of sight only, then give passives as the following:

Lightning: Instant activation, activation cd 30s

Madness: Ignore's line of sight, doubles self healing of dots or whatever (12 seconds, sure why not)

"Balancing" based off of the idea of one or two abilities (electro net) leaves every other class out in the cold and it's not the way to do it.

Edited by Severith
12 seconds, sure why not

the issue isnt balancing around enet, its "balancing" enet. specificaly making "hinder" affect whitebar. you shouldnt get the hinder debuff while white barred, and frankly the slow should build resolve stacks since at the same time you cant use several life saving abilitys... unless you breaker.

the issue isnt balancing around enet, its "balancing" enet. specificaly making "hinder" affect whitebar. you shouldnt get the hinder debuff while white barred, and frankly the slow should build resolve stacks since at the same time you cant use several life saving abilitys... unless you breaker.

Honestly, I think most melee (non healing types) should build whitebar (scaled to the severity/duration of the root/slow) every time they get rooted or slowed to a stupid amount (by ranged or healer classes anyway), so in that vein I totally agree with enet being a "whitebaring" ability. But the fact that we're even talking about enet in a phase walk thread means your balancing one classes abilities against another, which is counter productive in a game with 8 classes. Independent of enet, phase walk should be reevaluated. Independent of phase walk, enet should be reevaluated.

Healer sorcs are ez-mode, and miles ahead of other healers in pvp, but dps sorcs aren't especially good. Modifying how phase walk works for all three sorc specs is probably going to be critical if Bioware ever gets around to balancing them, because nerfing sorcs across the board is a bad choice.

I have a question about this:

sorcs need everything they can get. so do sins tbh.

with predation spam and merc net being meta for going on 3 years Id leave well enough alone if I were you when asking for nerfs.

How did the player see the person capping through a wall? Or did he see the capping, run behind a wall and then phase walk in?

To me, that situation illustrates why phase walk is so much fun - you can do it, but you have to plan it out in advance. You can plan for that, and then maybe it works out, or maybe you never need it, which means you could have used your phase walk in some different way. I always tended to use it defensively, to keep from dying, which is probably the most boring way to use it.

Again, my problem isn't with it primarily acting as a defensive cooldown for this class. My problem with it is that it allows savvy players of this class to completely ignore map design and changes how objectives are played that ALL other classes have to deal with.

If you bothered to watch the video, you'll see that both players phasewalked back directly on top of the ball from the pit in less than a global cooldown. Now, I know that Assassins/Shadows do not have the ability anymore but my point still stands. How is this fair for any other class that has to walk around the sides and back to the middle? Sure, you can leap back up but that would require a target. This is just one example of the cheesy stuff you can do with this ability.

There are many more legit scenarios, that have happened or that I have done myself, where it completely ignores map design in every other warzone.

For example: On defending Voidstar, your team sends one guard to watch East or West at the first door. A skilled Sorc player, that actually cares about playing objectives, would drop down with the guard, place his phasewalk within LoS of the door, and head on over to join his team. The guard gets mezzed from stealth, which 80-90% of the time would result in a planted bomb. He calls "inc" or "capping" and the Sorc player can instantly interrupt that cap from 90 meters away through a wall in one global cooldown if he is in range and responds immediately (granted he hasn't used it yet to escape from focus). No other class has this capability for responding to objectives.

Are we all agreeing that this is healthy for the game just so that Sorcs have a DCD because they're DPS spec is struggling in PvP?

Reducing the range will still allow the same functionality but make the "reach" of Sorcs less egregious

OR

Consuming all force upon use. This may actually bring PvP Heal spec down a peg and less dominant over the other 2 healing specs. This would force them to use their "Mana Tap" more and be less effective at healing when returning to the fight.

bud, considering most of the classes have well out grown all of the current maps, I think a sorc PWing on the huttballl really is the least of anyones concern. that ball with pred or oper roll gets to the goaline in 10 seconds. or how about a good ole sorc PW/pull. seriously bud "PW" breaking objectives is like low on the totem pole in current swtor pvp. at least the new acid traps in valdin kill con ops Edited by Seterade

I really enjoy the ability. Not tons of fun abilities out there, plenty of necessary ones, but this one happens to be really fun. I don't see it being OP but if it were to need a balance, I'd do it via cooldown.

While I never play a sorc, it does look like it could be a really fun ability to use, plus that it is rather unique in it's application that adds something to it.

I have absolutely no problem with Sorcs having it. They should. I have no objection to it in it's common form.

Sorcs need it, and its very appropriated to the archetype [sorcery].

I do however understand why some Assassin players would be a bit resentful for Sorcs keeping it, but, I don't think it's wrong for sorcs to have it. It seems a very appropriate ability for them to have. I don't think it should be removed or nerfed.

• 7 months later...
Also important to remember is that it enabled a skilled Sorc player to interrupt a capper through a wall from 90 meters away (60 meter teleport range + 30 attack range) all within the span of one global cooldown.

Well, get ready for it to have a 95m range, as now snipers are getting it too, across all three specs. ;)

I just want my sin to get anything as a replacement, even a passive ability. Assassins get no new toys after level 51, nothing to train. That just seems like terrible design. No reward and nothing to train for the last 19 levels of gameplay. That's lazy and one of the reasons assassins are behind in meta.

Edited by Monterone