Can Someone Explain the Legacy Thing?

Endymionsama

At level 30 I unlocked some legacy thing. I was presented with reward choices a popup to enter a name. I did not make any selections yet. I just logged off. What are the limitations and restrictions how the legacy thing works. I just need to know so I do not make any mistakes on these choices. Does this apply to all my characters regardless of server? Does it apply to both republic and sith empire characters?

It applies to all characters on the server. You can unlock bonus abilities, species, and upgrades for your ship through Legacy.

The screen that popped up is for you to choose a unique name which will basically serve as all your characters' last names. You can choose to display the name in a few different ways through Preferences, and you can create a family tree to show the relationships between each character.

It applies to all of your characters on that server only.

You Legacy Name cannot me changed, choose wisely. It follows the character naming rules: no spaces, numerals, only one - and ' character allowed.

The Legacy Name can be displayed as a last name, a legacy title, or hidden.

<CharacterName> <LegcayName>

<CharacterName> The <LegcayName> Legacy

Once you unlock, you get an additional XP bar for gaining Legacy XP. This is used to unlock certain legacy items/features.

Legacy offers several great features for leveling your alts.

For example, once you finish Chapter 2 of you class story, that class' buff ability is added to all of your other character's buff abilities.

Once you hit lvl 50, that race is unlocked and can be used by any class to create any alt. You can have a Sith Pureblood Jedi if you wish.

Edited by Owsley

At level 30 I unlocked some legacy thing. I was presented with reward choices a popup to enter a name. I did not make any selections yet. I just logged off. What are the limitations and restrictions how the legacy thing works. I just need to know so I do not make any mistakes on these choices. Does this apply to all my characters regardless of server? Does it apply to both republic and sith empire characters?

Hiya.

Let's see.. Legacy is a bit difficult to explain all at once.

First off, yes, the name you choose will be the last name for all your characters on that server - so choose something you like, something awesome if possible. Once you have your legacy set up, you can pull all your characters onto the main legacy screen, set up relationships between them.

There's a lot of different benefits to legacy, too many to describe. Like, for instance, if you get to Act 2 in the story with any class, any time you cast a class buff on any of your other characters you'll get that other class buff as well - you could end up being able to solo-cast all four class buffs at once. You can freely mail items and cash between characters on the same legacy. You can unlock special emotes, new abilities, enable the option to create any class of any race you'd like, get special high-stat gear to make leveling your alts faster, etc.

Once you choose your legacy name, the menus and things will be open, and I suggest you take some time to just browse through them all to get an idea. There's also http://www.swtor.com/info/legacy and http://dulfy.net/2012/03/27/legacy-system-in-1-2/

Not to hijack... but is it ever possible to change your character's first name? I had no idea the day I signed up and created my character that he would get a last name LATER. That really should be made more clear in the character creation screen if it hasn't been changed already. I really wanted my character to have a first and last name, so I used a hyphenated name. I should be unlocking legacy any time now (I'm at level 35... probably when I go to the next planet). I'd really like to change my characters first name so that the first name is only the first name, and last name becomes the last name.

Not to hijack... but is it ever possible to change your character's first name? I had no idea the day I signed up and created my character that he would get a last name LATER. That really should be made more clear in the character creation screen if it hasn't been changed already. I really wanted my character to have a first and last name, so I used a hyphenated name. I should be unlocking legacy any time now (I'm at level 35... probably when I go to the next planet). I'd really like to change my characters first name so that the first name is only the first name, and last name becomes the last name.

No, you cannot change the first name nor the Legacy name.

If the last name you have isn't taken when you use it for Legacy, just change the way it shows up on your character through Preferences so it won't write your name twice.