Black Lightsaber

Durstilla

I made this thread to argue whether the "black" lightsaber is canon or not.

I personally think it shouldn't be canon for two reasons; this saber only appears in the force unleashed and it goes against the established lore of how lightsabers work.

In TFU we had the black crystal but it never showed up in cut scenes so I believe that it was never intended to be real.

Second, black is the absence of light so a lightsaber cannot have an absence of light.

I look forward to your rebuttals and support against/for me.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say it's canon or not. To say that it's impossible for a lightsaber to be black is a bit to far. The blade of a lightsaber isn't really a construct of light, but contained plasma. I think that a person could create a synthetic crystal, as many Sith do for their lightsabers, that would form a black blade, but that's really on the ropes there.

There is ONE black lightsaber that appears in lore, and it supposed to be one of a kind.

I believe it was wielded by some mandalorian (non force sensative)

If you're talking about the thing from the TCW then no, that isn't a lightsaber, when it hits stuff it makes a metal noise vrs. a "whoosh". If you're talking about something else then maybe.

If you're talking about the thing from the TCW then no, that isn't a lightsaber, when it hits stuff it makes a metal noise vrs. a "whoosh". If you're talking about something else then maybe.

I'm pritty sure the death watch leader states that its a Ls (a very very old one) taken from the jedi. I could be wrong though that episode killed TCW for me.

I'm pritty sure the death watch leader states that its a Ls (a very very old one) taken from the jedi. I could be wrong though that episode killed TCW for me.

IIRC, it was an exec-order from Lucas himself to change it to a lightsaber when before it was a standard vibroblade (likely with cortosis weaving or the like, or some other explanation) on the grounds that fans would be confused if a 'normal' weapon was shown blocking a lightsaber (that is supposed to cut through anything but other lightsabers or blaster shots).

I could be wrong, though.

IIRC, it was an exec-order from Lucas himself to change it to a lightsaber when before it was a standard vibroblade (likely with cortosis weaving or the like, or some other explanation) on the grounds that fans would be confused if a 'normal' weapon was shown blocking a lightsaber (that is supposed to cut through anything but other lightsabers or blaster shots).

Wouldn't surprise me at all that man sure loves changing things.... yet jar jar still lives :(

Really? George does realize that the majority of people who actively follow TCW are adults right? I mean out of all of the little kiddies I know NONE of them watch TCW, unless I make them.

that sounded more pervy than intended

Really? George does realize that the majority of people who actively follow TCW are adults right? I mean out of all of the little kiddies I know NONE of them watch TCW, unless I make them.

that sounded more pervy than intended

Given the amount of weird lore-related arguments/debates that this and the Story/Lore section of the forum sees on a regular basis, I'm pretty sure age doesn't really matter that much.

It doesn't really bother me all that much. Then again, I'm willing to accept 'super-ancient and/or rare techno-thingy' as an answer. Not the worst thing I've ever seen in science-fiction, let alone science-fantasy as an explanation (Tachyon beam off the deflector dish - the best solution to any problem ever!*)

(*DISCLAIMER: Apologies to Trek fans out there, it's just the only thing that's likely to have a broader bit of recognition. Just a friendly jab!)

I personally think it shouldn't be canon for two reasons; this saber only appears in the force unleashed and it goes against the established lore of how lightsabers work.

It appears very canoncially In The Clone Wars in the hands of Pre Viszla who clearly states that It Is a lightsaber.

He claims It was stolen by his ancestors during the fall of the Old Republic.

Who knows, maybe Shae Vizla stole it when she helped attack the Jedi Temple.

In TFU we had the black crystal but it never showed up in cut scenes so I believe that it was never intended to be real.

I understand your reason, but the argument Is void considering all the cut scenes don't allow for the customization options. Whether It's the black saber, or green, or red It still appears the same.

Second, black is the absence of light so a lightsaber cannot have an absence of light.

As stated before, a lightsaber Is not made of light, nor Is it a laser. If anything It is Plasma.

As do i.

I'm not sure why there is hate....over a color. A COLOR! Its just a color, and its not like there are several hundred thousands of other lightsaber color crystals.

Well, it's a fairly illogical/hard to reconcile scientifically color for radiance, from what we understand of the visible light spectrum.

I do agree it's kind of silly, though, beyond that minor quirk (that doesn't really necessitate the number of threads on this particular subject - what number are we up to anyway? I can think of three offhand, but I'm busy most days).

The Darksaber made its first appearance in the Star Wars universe in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series' second season episode, The Mandalore Plot, which premiered January 29, 2010. It was the first lightsaber to officially possess a black-colored energy blade in canon.

Originally intended to be a vibroblade, George Lucas decided that, to preserve the uniqueness of the Jedi weapon, a lightsaber should not be seen to be blocked by sword-like weapon that is not a lightsaber. With that in mind, Lucas and the show's crew conceived of an ancient precursor to the lightsaber which they named the Darksaber

Link: Darksaber (lightsaber)

Originally intended to be a vibroblade, George Lucas decided that, to preserve the uniqueness of the Jedi weapon, a lightsaber should not be seen to be blocked by sword-like weapon that is not a lightsaber. With that in mind, Lucas and the show's crew conceived of an ancient precursor to the lightsaber which they named the Darksaber

Link: Darksaber (lightsaber)

I was just about to post it, until i saw that. good job on the link

With Shae Vizla bieng a prominent Mandalorian character in swtor, taking part in the sacking of the jedi temple, it would be very interesting in my opinion to have other members of the vizla clan show up linking the game with future star wars lore such as from the clone wars. Like adding a child of Shae as a recurring mandalorian enemy who uses the Blacksaber if they decided to add to the lore that it was Shae who stole it from the jedi temple, as Pre Viszla, who has a name similiar to hers, states that one of his ancestors stole it from the jedi temple during the fall of the old republic.

Well, it's a fairly illogical/hard to reconcile scientifically color for radiance, from what we understand of the visible light spectrum.

I do agree it's kind of silly, though, beyond that minor quirk (that doesn't really necessitate the number of threads on this particular subject - what number are we up to anyway? I can think of three offhand, but I'm busy most days).

yeah but so are light sabers. There is 0 science involved in lightsabers. So nit picking about a color is a bit odd.

I think the black one isn't much more of an oddity than the tens and tens of other lightsaber crystals that have showed up in canon - some of them supposedly unique, some of them even so far out there. I distinctly remember there being a silver one, for example, on one of Luke's pupils.

Then on the other hand, even George Lucas let Samuel L. Jackson diverge from the established Blue/Green/Red variations because he wanted his character to look more pimp. Go figure.

As for canon, I think they created T-(Television)Canon as a canon level above Continuity Canon for The Holocron, so unless one of the original trilogies, novelisations or radio dramas explicitly states that there's no such thing, yes, the black lightsaber is canon through TCW.

I made a post yesterday about exactly the same reason, lightsaber color + black sith robe absense.

But i only got troll responses and hate...

I dont like the current colors for sith either. You ll see within a month, all sith will run around with only purple and black-red lightsabers, and there would be none with red.

Around 90% of sith atm, have champion lightsaber, which is purple, and soon most of them will run around with black-red. I barely see these days a sith with red Lightsaber.

I wish they would allow us to choose the color we want.

I dont get it why they give mod option and color crystal options only for low lvls and not for 50 lvl gear. It should be exactly the oposite...

Lvling will last half month max and no matter how perfect they made it, it means only the 1% of the game.

Doesn't matter whether the beam is light, plasma, or whatever. Black simply means it's a colour you can't see. Our eyes don't detect the colour in that part of the spectrum, but perhaps insects or Arkanians might see the blade as something completely different.

I'd have preferred a vibroblade myself for Pre Vizla, but the darksaber is pretty cool whenever it shows up, so meh