New to ranked, getting rolled. Good times.

Creepjack

So, I've been playing on and off since launch, almost solely PvE. Decided to give PVP a swing on the assassin. Farmed regs for a full set of 168, read up on pvp rotation, openers, etc. Practiced.

Queue ranked.

Aaaand got my face rolled. would up with 3w/7l in first 10 games. Not sure if it's a lack of experience (I knew the curve was steep in ranked, but was doing well in WZs), lack of knowledge of the meta, etc, that everyone else has a few seasons head start on, lack of ranked gear, but I'm definitely missing something.

Is the curve always this steep?

Particularly finding I'm getting rolled right out of the opener. What is the best way to set up with defensives, pop deflection on the jump? stack with adrenal? And what is the sin's place in an actual match, when I dotspread and then kite I feel like I'm doing negligible damage, but when I stay in to thrash-assassinate and LS I get wrecked.

Advice appreciated.

A few things that helped me get adjusted to ranked were

Getting focus target and focus target's target keybinds down pat

Realizing that spreading all dots haphazardly would negate me from stealthing out and healing

Setting up the "burst" in hatred (proc from gear) then switching it to the lowest enemy

Not panicking with dcd's but also using them before it's too late

If I were going into the fray I would definitely pop deflection w/ utility

Much of it is learn as you go

Mostly- just play as much as you can and you'll get better quick

Also, if on a bad streak call it a day- not going to win if you're team is full of droolers

Edited by Daxy

In matches without healers, use force cloak sooner rather than later. Once you're down to 10% HP, you're cooked. By the time you heal up and come back, the rest of your team will probably be dead. If you're being focused, it's best to cloak out early so you can force them to switch targets and then immediately return to combat with a spike.

You don't use roots and CC on operation bosses, but the timing on those two things can often mean the difference between rolling and getting rolled in ranked PVP. You have to learn to use whirlwind and overload wisely.

Lastly, (and this is the important part, so write this down), "learn your class" is the most half-arsed PVP advice you will ever get. In truth, to be good at PVP you need to learn EVERY class and spec. If you get attacked by a Tactics Vanguard and don't understand what that fast beeping noise means, you're going to get yourself killed needlessly.