Curious, why is planet Hoth in TOR?

Sycleoth

To my understanding, I thought Hoth's only purpose was to be a hidden rebel base in the movies. But three thousand years before that base was even built there is a battle between the empire and the republic. The Hoth system is in the middle of the outer rim territories. This planet has no significant advantage, its just an ice rock in the middle of nowhere.

If its not for nostalgic reasons, why would this planet be in the game?

Could someone enlighten me on why the planet is in the game? Its not really that important, but the curiosity is bugging me.

Thanks

It's impossible to know until you do the actual questline htere, which will likely explain everything you want to know.

I doubt it's only for nostalgy purpose. The planet could old ancient artifact, it could be a hidden facility, maybe it old rare minerals. There are countless possibilities. But it's very unlikely to be nortalgia only.

Having just started Hoth myself, I dont know the real answer to this, so this should not be considered a spoiler, but I'm guessing there's some hidden resource or something deep in the ice that both factions want badly enough to make the hassle of dealing with the extreme temperatures worthwhile. Perhaps in the 3K+ years between our time and Luke's time, this resource has either A) been completely consumed and the planet therefore abandoned, B) Simply forgotten and lost in time. Perhaps also, the difficulty of obtaining said resource proved far to costly and inefficient to be useful and intentionally abandoned and promptly forgotten. Again, all speculation and brainstorming with no actual in-game knowledge, fun question though!

Hoth has a strategic route to Belsalvus which is a Republic planet. The empire wanted belsalvus because it was at the end of a smugglers route known as the Belsalvis run Tekkur'k to the planet. Tekkur'k was a major industrial planet with a huge economy that the empire wanted to take.

Three thousand years is a damn long time for a planet like Hoth to be forgotten in such an enormous galaxy. Remember Lehon, the Rakata homeworld in KotOR? Yeah, that one was already virtually forgotten by the time the New Sith Wars rolled around, only about 1800 years after KotOR.

Three thousand years is a damn long time for a planet like Hoth to be forgotten in such an enormous galaxy. Remember Lehon, the Rakata homeworld in KotOR? Yeah, that one was already virtually forgotten by the time the New Sith Wars rolled around, only about 1800 years after KotOR.

Also, none of the soldiers want to be there and it's implied that the player character has never heard of Hoth. If the general consensus of the period is that Hoth is just a cold, PoS planet in the middle of nowhere, it's easy to see why it would be so easily forgotten.

The Republic and the Sith fought a massive space battle above Hoth. It was just after Alderaan, and the Republic had halted the Sith invasion, and were preparing to strike back. The Republic was massing their battle-fleet over Hoth. In this fleet the Republic had a superweapon that they were planning to use. The Sith learned about this fleet, formed their own massive fleet, and engaged the Republic above Hoth. Both fleets were torn apart during the battle, with the Republic losing their superweapon and taking more casualties than the Sith. In the game, Hoth is home to a massive space-ship graveyard of both Republic and Sith design.

There are prototype ships in the graveyard that have not been touched since the battle over Hoth. Most classes are meant to find the graveyard and retrieve data from the downed ships. With war heating up again, the Sith and Republic would like to get their hands on these ships again.

That's why Hoth is important.

Edited by JediArchives

• 6 months later...
It's in the Ison Corridor, along the Corelian Spine. So its possible to reach Corruscant easily from there, and there was a space battle when a big ship crashed and some military secrets attracted the empire to get them and the republic to protect them.

What confuses me more is how it is even named 'Hoth'? It was my understanding upon reading the Bane novels that the planet was named after the Jedi General Hoth who fought on this un-named planet againt the Brotherhood of Darkness, many years after the timeline of this game.

What confuses me more is how it is even named 'Hoth'? It was my understanding upon reading the Bane novels that the planet was named after the Jedi General Hoth who fought on this un-named planet againt the Brotherhood of Darkness, many years after the timeline of this game.

Auch, if that is true BW made a lore-booboo. ^^;

true, i always assumed it was named after general hoth as well.

i... kind of assumed that the planet the brotherhood of darkness used their secret ritual thing on at the end of the first darth bane book WAS hoth.

The planet where the ritual was done is Ruusan. There is no reference to the naming of Hoth as being a homage to the mentioned Jedi Master.

And if you think about it, it'd a kind of crappy way to pay homage to him. Naming a completely barren and frozen planet after one of the greatest jedi generals in the history of the order would be insulting in my opinion.

And if you think about it, it'd a kind of crappy way to pay homage to him. Naming a completely barren and frozen planet after one of the greatest jedi generals in the history of the order would be insulting in my opinion.

I just browsed Wookieepedia and there's nothing there to back-up what I said earlier. So either I made the whole thing up, or canon has changed recently?

:cool:

Canon-wise, General Hoth just happens to be named after Hoth, he is not named because of it. The soldiers who say he is like, "an icey, cold planet," were not aware of Hoth's existence. While the author obvious made it a reference to the planet, lore-wise, since Hoth was pre-established in the EU (or maybe came after the comics) as existing before General Hoth's timeline, the connection is completely coincidental.

Canon-wise, General Hoth just happens to be named after Hoth, he is not named because of it. The soldiers who say he is like, "an icey, cold planet," were not aware of Hoth's existence. While the author obvious made it a reference to the planet, lore-wise, since Hoth was pre-established in the EU (or maybe came after the comics) as existing before General Hoth's timeline, the connection is completely coincidental.

Actually, the Essential Guide to Warfare says that he born as Rohlan, who took the name Hoth later in life.

You forgot to say "Rise! RISE! RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!" when you necro'd this thread. :p