Classes - which one has the best story?

Lord_Ravenhurst

Loved the Imperial Agent story, was emotionally invested and at Chapter Two I was so angry at what happened but that is the hallmark of a good story. Enjoyed it and its my number 1.

Enjoyed the Sith Warrior Story, played it both DS and LS and enjoyed it at lot. It was more predictable then the IA but fun.

Tired playing a Councular...have not gotten past lvl 15 on it, found it boring.

Enjoying my Knight right now.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are all very well done. I've few complaints, anyway. It just depends on what you're looking for in a story, I suppose.
+1 to this. Props to the writers; I think all the class stories are quite thrilling. It's really a question of what mood you're in. I'm playing all classes save for the Inquisitor and the Counselor (gameplay reasons), and sometimes I'm in the mood for this class, sometimes for that. Having multiple characters thus guarantees I always have access to "just what I need". :)

The dialogue selections even make replaying the same area worthwhile. There was one situation on Alderaan that I have resolved with three different Imperial characters in three different ways, simply because they all had a different personality / approach. Awesome.

It was the attempted invasion of that one noble's palace by a rival.

Bounty Hunter: Actually resolved the situation through diplomacy and allowed the noble to retreat. I blame the companion Mako for acting like an ersatz conscience.

Sith Warrior: With a twisted sense of honor, this character agreed to duel the rival noble in order to prove her superiority as a warrior.

Imperial Agent: Efficiency in service to the state. This character detonated the charges, killing all invaders in the explosion without any actual combat.

I've started a few classes and hope to do them all but have got furthest with Imperial Agent. I was interested in playing a non Sith servant of the empire, the story doesn't have the usual sense of being above the law you get as a force user or a freelance smuggler or bounty hunter. Instead you feel you're trying to keep ahead of ruthless masters who might kill you for any failure. The story grows from there, there are classic betrayals and double crosses like any good spy story. The way I play it, light side, my agent is slowly beginning to doubt she's on the right side at all, so I'm making more and more rogue decisions and this feels like its led to events in the story entirely of my own making. Classic Bioware.

I probably did a mistake when I've played the Imperial Agent story first. When I finished it, I was so captivated with the story that I didn't want to play any other class; instead, I created and leveled a second Agent.

It wasn't until a week or two ago when I finally decided to try something else, and a major part of the decision was the HK component requirement. Tried Trooper as first - gave up right after Ord Mantell. Besides getting tired of "It's my duty to serve the Republic" really quick, the story could be summed up as

We need to find the bomb!

Is the bomb here? No it isn't.

Is the bomb there? Nope, not there either.

Is the bomb over here? No, still no luck.

Then the bomb must be there! Yay, indeed it is!

Then I started a Smuggler. The story is definitely funny, but again, nowhere near captivating as the IA one, and it can be also summed up as

They took my ship!

Is my ship here? No it isn't.

Is my ship there? Nope, not there either.

Is my ship over here? No, still no luck.

Well, let's go to Coruscant to search further.

Is the man who stole my ship here? No he isn't.

Is the man who stole my ship there? Nope, he's not there either.

Is the man who stole my ship over here? Blast, he's an elusive one ...

Etc.

While I realize it's just the prologue, when I compare it with the IA's prologue on Hutta ... no, that can't be done.

TL;DR. Imperial Agent story is fantastic and risks to spoil your enjoyment of the other stories.

I probably did a mistake when I've played the Imperial Agent story first. When I finished it, I was so captivated with the story that I didn't want to play any other class; instead, I created and leveled a second Agent.

It wasn't until a week or two ago when I finally decided to try something else, and a major part of the decision was the HK component requirement. Tried Trooper as first - gave up right after Ord Mantell. Besides getting tired of "It's my duty to serve the Republic" really quick, the story could be summed up as

We need to find the bomb!

Is the bomb here? No it isn't.

Is the bomb there? Nope, not there either.

Is the bomb over here? No, still no luck.

Then the bomb must be there! Yay, indeed it is!

Then I started a Smuggler. The story is definitely funny, but again, nowhere near captivating as the IA one, and it can be also summed up as

They took my ship!

Is my ship here? No it isn't.

Is my ship there? Nope, not there either.

Is my ship over here? No, still no luck.

Well, let's go to Coruscant to search further.

Is the man who stole my ship here? No he isn't.

Is the man who stole my ship there? Nope, he's not there either.

Is the man who stole my ship over here? Blast, he's an elusive one ...

Etc.

While I realize it's just the prologue, when I compare it with the IA's prologue on Hutta ... no, that can't be done.

TL;DR. Imperial Agent story is fantastic and risks to spoil your enjoyment of the other stories.

Well and sad thing is that first chapters are the good parts of Trooper's and Smuggler's storyline while the rest is even worse. As you said the whole trooper's "yes sir, for the republic" mentality throughout the storyline is so dumb, boring and annoying.

...While I realize it's just the prologue, when I compare it with the IA's prologue on Hutta ... no, that can't be done. Imperial Agent story is fantastic and risks to spoil your enjoyment of the other stories.

And, see. This is where personal subjectiveness comes into play. Because I ached my way through the prologue and most of Chapter 1 of the Agent story. It was so dang cliche "Bond -- James Bond" a tale, that I almost puked. The end of the Chapter, even, was enough to make me scream:

Jadus might as well have been stroking a Persian cat during that scene, argh!

If you can't tell, I'm not any sort of fan of James Bond. So it was tough getting into the story. But I persisted. I mean it, I persisted! Started and deleted quite a few agents, before finally getting one through that first chapter! And Chapter 2 more than made up for my effort, as the story shifted entirely away from Bond towards a more Bourne type of story. That's when the tale became fascinating to me.

I only think, each story has its merits and its problems, its good points and its not so good points. I went through two playthroughs of the Warrior story before bumping it up there to my second fave story of all of them, for instance. Trooper story, in particular, proves the point that not everyone is going to enjoy the stilted routine and monotonous tones common to the life and work of a Soldier. But if you respect it as such, it tends to be okay. I'm looking forward to my trooper story, is all.

Just enjoy each story for the feel and motion it provides. And try them all, too. I've just about done each one, enough my guild leader laughs at me when he asks, "What are you going to do next?" whenever I say, "I made it through Voss on this guy!" Just have fun!

Edited by Phyreblade
add spoiler tag

I feel like I may get shot for saying this, but so far my favorite was the Sith Inquisitor. The whole 'rise to power' story line was one that I really liked. It felt like it had a natural flow, and the whole thread of freedom tied the story together very nicely. :D Plus despite the magnitude of the end, I felt that the story was more personal. You weren't trying to save the galaxy, just yourself.

Agent was crazy fun. Felt like I was dropped strait into a Bond movie. Plus it was nice being able to choose some DS options without feeling like a total psychopath.

Smuggler was nice for Act 1. I really felt invested in finding my ship. It wasn't as enjoyable afterwards, though I think that the smuggler had the best dialogue in game.

Consular was okay for the first chapter, but chapter two and three felt so disconnected that it might as well have been a different class story.

Since I haven't seen most parts of the trooper's, smuggler's and consular's story, I'm not going to judge them just yet (though trooper is fine at least until Nar Shaddaa). As for other classes...

Agent is the best one, if you ask me. Chapter one gave a nice idea about what is it like to be just a little tiny detail of a great imperial mechanism, even though I was always nice and polite with Jadus. I feeled trapped throughout all chapter two. Chapter three was a little bit less interesting

with all this galaxy-controling organization stuff

but Belsavis and prison break was fun. And after playing this story I found it very difficult to trust any NPC in the game, in any quest, ever :D

I quite liked sith warrior: his story is a bit predictable, but it is little things that make playing a warrior totally worth it. Some scenes that look like they were taken from a movie, because they are very well-directed. Companions, who are fully aware of each other's presence on the ship and react to each other's deeds (one bad thing about the imperial agent - his companions barely notice one another). Two type of relationships with Vette and Jaesa. Etc. And it is very easy to make your character not a sadistic maniac, but a normal person, and still be a proper sith. I had some troubles with it as an inquisitor.

Knight was okey, banal, maybe, but hey, it was like being a Luke Skywalker. Especially in the end of chapter two. Bounty Hunter... well, I liked some parts of his storyline (Alderaan and House Rift was great, so was Tatooine, and I found very pleasing having a few different ways to deal with my antogonist in the end of chapter one). But the story at whole feeled a bit empty. Go to planet A, capture or kill this guy. Go to planet B, capture or kill that guy. Keep doing so until the end of the story.

Finally, sith inquisitor. To be honest, I didn't get past chapter one myself, but so far it was... awkward. My character acting all this "Mwahaha, I am a might sith, no one can defeat me!" in nearly all of the quests. Zash drawing me mad with her stupid dreams and fake sweet talkings. Khem Val who is simply Khem Val. And the story that looks so banal like it was taken directly from some bad fantasy book. Knight was quite stereotyped, too, but in a good way. The only thing I really liked were phrases like "If you thing that's strange, wait until you meet my other personality" or "And here I thought I was the crazy one". I was playing with my friend, and usually it was me taking one option in the dialogue (such as "Let's save this man, he is so nice!"), then a friend winning the roll and picking another option (We'll kill this man!"), then me again finishing the dialogue with something like "I will enjoy killing this bastard, ahaha!". So my girl did look crazy in most of the quests, and double personality thing was so much about her.

Edited by Yria

I have all 4 stories down on the rep side and to be honest I found them all entertaining, all very different however.

For jedi knight think "Righteous fury/ righting wrongs"

For Consular think " Politics and Healing"

For Smuggler think "Comedy relief and high adventure"

For Trooper think "Army/ Political coverup"

/summary

• 2 weeks later...

Playing Dark Side smuggler. I love that story, even more then I love sith warrior. You get all the witty responses, make profit and are also able to hurt the Republic and in one of the class quest you first meet my number 1 Sith NPC

Vaverone Zare

And if, in final class quest on Tatooine, you choose dark side, your character says to one of NPCs. "You are as wrong as Hutt in a bikini". That line actually eleveted smuggler story to the top of my list. (cheating the Republic in Chapter 2 made my choice confirmed... so was dark side decision of lev 50 final class quest)

Edited by MorgothPl

• 2 months later...

So far, I am pretty new. I have leveled my SI to 34, JK to 28, Trooper to 20, BH to 20, and IA to 15.

SI - I am really enjoying the story. I feel like from the 'slave' alien origin I am not a follow-orders guy of the Empire but one rising to power and destroying everything in his path. Personally the end of Act 1 was awesome:

When Khem Val interrupted the 'Darth Zash body swap' and became fighting for his body it really attached me to him, no longer as a monster.

JK - Also enjoying this, but currently I'm more interested in Kira Carsen than the main story.

Trooper - I can see good things for the future of the Act 1 storyline, I am a neutral, based on what orders are and what I feel would be best for the Republic, so I make some bad decisions from time to time. I despise Aric Jorgan, though.

BH - Not fun for me, hated Mako, I knew the whole time that someone was actually 'whatever.' I think I played him wrong as a DS so I might reroll after some other classes and try LS.

IA - Enjoying it so far, playing LS so someone said before there was fun things to come. I think Jadus is interesting and I am confused what will happen with him in the future.

So far - SI > JK > IA > Trooper > BH

(I am sure this will change.)

• 2 weeks later...

Best story was Agent, hands down. It felt the most intricate and elaborate, and was the most consistently well-written. It also had a lot of the more interesting moral choices, IMO. All in all, just great.

Second tier of stories were Consular, Warrior, and Inquisitor. Consular and Inquisitor were still very good, but were held back in some small form by the occasional slow spot particularly around late chapter 2/early chapter 3 (though they both finished big, and finished very well). In the case of the Warrior, the story itself isn't the best...it just felt really bare bones, especially compared to the Agent, Consular, and Inquisitor, however, it just had such a ridiculously high number of back-to-back flat-out ****** scenes that the sheer enjoyment factor puts it at this level despite not being as intricately done.

Third tier were Knight, Smuggler, and Hunter. All of these, again, were still solid, and plenty enoyable, but all ended up feeling just a little too simple in the end. They made up for it with plenty of epic scenes (for Knight and Hunter), or outright hilarity (Smuggler), but while such back-to-back awesomeness was enough to propel the Warrior's story higher, in the case of these, they don't quite consistently enough hit the high notes to not seem at least a little vanilla.

Finally, down waaaaaayyyyy at the bottom, is the Trooper. I almost wish I could add a couple "filler" tiers between the previous one and this one, because all of the other seven managed to keep me really interested, but Trooper was just...kinda bad. It did have the occasional good scene...particularly the climaxes of chapters two and three, and it had a few good ideas along the way, but it simply didn't execute them well. On the whole, it just couldn't measure up.

Keep in mind I haven't played all the classes yet, but I'll rate what I've experienced.

1. Trooper-

Solid story, with a sharp beginning that grabs a hold of you. It may not necessarily surprise you but it's consistently well told.

2. Smuggler-

It's a very casual and humorous story, which will take some getting used to after the much more serious and dramatic tone featured in the other class stories. The dialogue and one-liners are great however, as is the quest to claim a hoard of treasure.

3. Bounty Hunter-

Make no mistake, I really wanted to like this class. It begins well enough, but becomes less and less consistent as the story progresses. On the starting planet for example, you can believe it's possible to be a light side bounty hunter. One with a moral code. Just as you can believe it's possible for Mako to be such a sweet person despite the seemingly ruthless profession.

The final climactic battle of the Great Hunt however as you fight your way to the bridge aboard the Aurora completely destroys that belief. Worse yet, you end up filling Darth Maul's shoes in a way as your destroy a Jedi Master in the presence of his padawan. Where other Imperial Classes manage to make a believable story regardless of moral alignment, the Bounty Hunter story only makes sense played as a villain.

I have only done two so far the Bounty Hunter and the Jedi Knight.

JK- I really like this one. It very much has the Star Wars feel to it.

BH- This one I do not like at all. I did not even feel like a Bounty Hunter but instead a high ranking soldier for the Empire. Chapter 1 was great but after that it all started to fall apart.