Tau Idair is a fascinating, well-written character. Do more with her going forward.

ZionHalcyon

I'll be honest - I usually play Imp side, so yesterday was my first go at playing Ossus on Republic.

I'll try not to be too political, but with certain media out there trying to force-feed certain viewpoints onto their playerbases, usually absconding all decent writing to do so, I was a tad worried this would be more of the same.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

Tau Idair is one of the most interesting characters I've come across not just in SWTOR, but even gaming in general.

A Jedi struggling essentially with PTSD. Yet instead of going full dark sith like most writers would do, BioWare has written her beautifully as someone who DOES want to adhere to the jedi way, KNOWS her rage issues are wrong, and struggles to keep such emotions in check - yet also is constantly evaluating herself, has self-esteem issues (won't take a padawan because she thinks she is no good as a jedi), and is very self-critical.

This is likely the most fleshed out character I've seen in SWTOR. Rather than writing her to the most base writing as most writers nowadays would have (Looking at you Captain Marvel), you have crafted an extremely well written character who feels authentic, real, and I hope this writing continues. It was absolutely amazing. Kudos bioware!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No please don't. I would very much prefer inclusion of old companions instead of the newer, forced ones. Please don't make me carry her around with me again, make my existing roster feel alive again.

They aren't willing to invest the money into having 8 different story lines so that each class can use original companions. At least with Ossus, we got faction specific stories instead of the same one for everyone.

There is also an issue of voice actors who can't (or won't) come back to do new dialog.

I agree with the OP. Tau was written beautifully and I hope we see much more of her.

I hope it's not a contradiction to add that I also love the original class companions and hope to see more of them too.

I agree completely. I'd love to see more of Tau and Anri, and I'd also like more content for the original companions (well, maybe not Skadge and Broonmark :)). Obviously, resources are limited, but NPC interactions are an important part of SWTOR for me.

I didn't like Tau as much as Major Anri, and I'm trying not to get too attached (since all my Jedi are saboteurs and will likely be turning against her at some point) but she's a cool character and I did think a lot of time and thought had gone into her creation.

I'd love to see more of her and Anri, but I echo others' statements that I hope the older companions and NPCs will not be forgotten about and will still receive screen time for those who want to see them, including the KOTFE-era ones.

No please don't. I would very much prefer inclusion of old companions instead of the newer, forced ones. Please don't make me carry her around with me again, make my existing roster feel alive again.

Why not both?

Tau is EXTREMELY well written. And doing more with her doesn't mean she has to end up our companion, especially since we get "characters on loan" now.

Frankly, I'd love to see the whole companion roster get involved and fit into the upcoming war somehow, and all of them get their moments to shine and show complexity.

Especially, I think we are long, long, LONG overdue for the Antics of SWTOR's odd couple, Gault Rennow and Guss Tuno, the Galaxies best and worst con artists. Seeing those two together and done right?

COMEDY GOLD.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

I agree with the OP. Tau was written beautifully and I hope we see much more of her.

I hope it's not a contradiction to add that I also love the original class companions and hope to see more of them too.

This. I really really want to see more of our old companions, but I think Tau is some of the best work they've done in the game, especially among the newer characters.

On this we can agree.. well said.

As well introducing a new companion or two should not be overlooked. Keep companions as an active part of the game!

Especially, I think we are long, long, LONG overdue for the Antics of SWTOR's odd couple, Gault Rennow and Guss Tuno, the Galaxies best and worst con artists. Seeing those two together and done right?

COMEDY GOLD.

I thought Guss (and Tanno Vik, FWIW) don't have the same voice actors anymore? That doesn't preclude bringing Guss into a larger role, but its a consideration.

She is a central character in the new expansion and maybe after depending on how that goes. So, you'll have more of her.

I can't say i liked her a lot. But i do like her model/gear. So, i don't mind having her around.

Based on what we've seen advertised of 6.0 so far, it seem certain we will be seeing a lot more of Tau, for better or worse. I took 3 Pubs through Ossus. I found her fairly interesting the first time through, but grating by the second. I feel like I've already seen enough of her.

Based on what we've seen advertised of 6.0 so far, it seem certain we will be seeing a lot more of Tau, for better or worse. I took 3 Pubs through Ossus. I found her fairly interesting the first time through, but grating by the second. I feel like I've already seen enough of her.

I thought the character of Tau was good.. but I agree with what you are saying. Even still I can't help but to believe that the main reason for that is due to a total absence of interaction with our companions. IMO ... I truely hope that we are seeing a new format unfold.

By that I mean .. we see a few very quick cut scenes and then after that our companions are little more than a brick with nothing more to add than "skill ability" (healing / DPS or whatever) ... I really hope I'm wrong on this one. But it seems to be shaping up that way !

I thought the character of Tau was good.. but I agree with what you are saying. Even still I can't help but to believe that the main reason for that is due to a total absence of interaction with our companions. IMO ... I truely hope that we are seeing a new format unfold.

By that I mean .. we see a few very quick cut scenes and then after that our companions are little more than a brick with nothing more to add than "skill ability" (healing / DPS or whatever) ... I really hope I'm wrong on this one. But it seems to be shaping up that way !

QFT / I too liked the ambiguous nature of her battle between light and dark. - But on the whole the commander of an empire running errands for the Republic or Empire seems kinda lame in the writing department.

I don't recall Emperor Hirohito going around mopping up after the war.

The writing has been pretty poor for years. Tau is a mere blip in something that is essentially flat-lining.

QFT / I too liked the ambiguous nature of her battle between light and dark. - But on the whole the commander of an empire running errands for the Republic or Empire seems kinda lame in the writing department.

The writing has been pretty poor for years. Tau is a mere blip in something that is essentially flat-lining.

On this we dissagree. The writing wasn't that bad. In fact it was a good way to reintroduce the two sides at each other again: LS vs DS .. Empire vs Republic.

Tau and even the new General .. were both well done. I particularly loved General Daeruun: not the usual paper doll character.

Overall it was a good intruduction to what is coming.

I too find the new story to be incredibly lacking. But there are some very vocal weirdos who seem to have thought it was absolutely wonderful that my LS 5 jedi suddenly decides hes not a jedi through no choice I could make.

Emperor Hirohito is actually an interesting example, considering the MacArthur led post-war occupation.

Edited by KendraP

I agree, as much as I liked Anri and Tau, I felt the overall story writing was poor for Ossus. The idea of the Alliance Commander/former Hero of Tython/Wrath/Dark Council member/Barsenthor being forced be be a faction lackey and run around doing basic errands didn't work for me.

Not to mention that IMHO the saboteur idea doesn't work well for a lot of characters who would have just openly switched sides or had no interest in that sort of subterfuge.

Just for the record:

1. IMO: as wierd as some might think it to be.. trying to get our "commander" from being ... well the allinace commander .. to someone who was will to lend assistance.. OK that doesn't work for a Sith Lord who enjoys killing everything and everyone in sight in order to inforce their dominance and control. I get that... BUT for a LS player who is there to ASSIST in an energancy evacuation it's not that far of a jump.

2. At some point in time there has to be some changes ?? I have never suggested that I like the idea of desolving the Alliance.. Nor have I suggested that I like the idea of our companions taking a back seat while being forced into watching the entire episode unfold wilth only a token of a nod to them through out the entire affair.

3. Ossus is only an introduction ... That is all that it is. More of a transition of sorts.

4. I DO hope that we are given the choice of whether or not to disolve the alliance.

Keep this in mind also: Since the beginning of KotFE there has been nothing but a steady stream of complaining to get rid of the alliance ... as in the story should have never taken place at all. BUT ... it's there and it did. I really like parts of it. I'm welcomed to that opinion ... Get over it !

If you disolve the alliance then your character is at the command of whomever you come in contact with until such time as you are restored to you position of eminence ! That part of the story has not arrived yet.

I have no idea where the story line is headed. The story side of the matter and the character of Tau Idair (which is what this is about ) is a good place to introduce the character on the LS. How that is developed futher remains to be seen. What is done with the Alliance ... good or bad .. remains to be seen. Whether or not we get back our companions as they SHOULD be ... remains to be seen. If the cut sceens are 1 to 2 minutes for our companions in the future with little or no real interaction during game and the companions are turned into meaningless bricks ... then that is another matter. BUT until 6.0 gets here ALL of this REMAINS TO BE SEEN !

Soooo I guess we will see. I believe that we are seeing a gradual return to the old rivalry between the Republic and the Empire. Sooo until 6.0 is here I will just wait and see what happens.

On another note, Tau wrestling with her conscience and walking the pathe between light and dark..... Doesn't really resonate with tech users, who are soldiers, outlaws, bounty hunters or covert ops agents.

In that respect, Major Anri ( impside) was better suited, as a soldier who was reasonably loyal, cared for her fellow soldier(s) but somewhat critical of with the command structure above her.

Back on topic. More Tau. pls.

COMEDY GOLD.

As far as I'm concerned, Tau can meet her end by drowning in a lake of fire, but a Gault/Gus combo...there ya' go.

On another note, Tau wrestling with her conscience and walking the pathe between light and dark..... Doesn't really resonate with tech users, who are soldiers, outlaws, bounty hunters or covert ops agents.

In that respect, Major Anri ( impside) was better suited, as a soldier who was reasonably loyal, cared for her fellow soldier(s) but somewhat critical of with the command structure above her.

Back on topic. More Tau. pls.

I don't have a DS character... so from that respect I will have to defer to your judgement .. I must admit the one thing that was contradictory was Taus' struggle with the death of others and Master Gnost-Dural's insistance of her taking on a padawan. That IMO was something that was out of place.

Bad writting ? More than likely just another part of the over all plot. BUT... If I were writting the story I would have that issue setteled long BEFORE discussion of a padawan.

(But I'm also smart enough to give the current writers a little room to work before burning them at the stake !)

You and the OP were playing a very different Ossus game to me. I absolutely hate Tau Idair & have avoided doing Ossus on most of my alts because I don't want to have to suffer her again (or that other one Anri whatsit; they're both awful imo).

The "Marmite Effect" in this game is very interesting. How do some players find those two new companions to be awesome and the rest of us hate them to the point of wanting immediate kill options on them?

You and the OP were playing a very different Ossus game to me. I absolutely hate Tau Idair & have avoided doing Ossus on most of my alts because I don't want to have to suffer her again (or that other one Anri whatsit; they're both awful imo).

The "Marmite Effect" in this game is very interesting. How do some players find those two new companions to be awesome and the rest of us hate them to the point of wanting immediate kill options on them?

I find it interesting that you say that the people who like Tau are some and those who don't are everyone else.

how do you know it's not the other way around and those who like Tau are everyone else and those who don't like her are only some?

You don't, so don't talk like you do. You know you don't like her and that is it.

I'm not saying you aren't allowed to hate Tau. Different strokes for different folks. but don't go here acting like you know what everyone else thinks.

As for everyone else I think people are conflating two issues.

I happen to find Tau a very well-written character. I do want to see more of her.

That is completely separate from the issue the developers acting like our current companions who we grew with in the vanilla game, are nothing more than rent a bot to assist with PvE.

I am of the opinion that you can think Tau is a very well written character, and also demand that the current slate of companions be better integrated into the story including giving personal touches with the companions we traveled with in the personal story. I am 100% in agreement they need to be better written, better integrated, and present in the story for our characters. They also need to further the personal story we were treated to in the vanilla game. It was one of the best parts of the game that has gone unchecked since vanilla.

But none of that takes away from the fact that Tau was extremely well written and also deserves her place in the story due to the quality of the writing.

So let's not conflate these two issues.