One planet is not an expansion

Darth-Rammstein

I guess I should lower my expectations, it is EA after all.

Look I am no fan of EA either, but I just think that a lot of people don't think before they post here. No one is grateful for anything nor willing to work towards changes that make sense, reminds me a lot of our US Congress actually... I think many of the things posted here tries to demonize the people who made this game, and make them look like fools. I think that a lot of you can't be made happy, and really don't get much of anything on the business side of games (most of you, not all). I think this thread makes is sound like they are stealing money from us... you know I paid 25 bucks for dinner the other night, and I paid... 10? For this expansion. I think yall need to look at your expenses in life then come back and look at this one.

Most of you are like little children on here, always whining and complaining "this sucks, that sucks, EA is finished, BW is finished, Ill never play again!" Blah blah blah, suck it up and leave, or if you wanted something to change why don't you get your thoughts together in a non-piss and moaning way. Its actually not hard. And this comment is not directed at Darth-Rammstein, but to the forums in general. Many of you sit here and troll, do you really have nothing else better to do?

If you don't like the game, fine, if you have all this free time go make a company, and build the game you want to play. If a lot of other people agree with you, then it will sell, and you will make a lot of money. But god forbid you cant make EVERYONE happy, and you might wind up with a forums full of whining, complaining brats who do understand how the system works, and how hard your job is for a number of reasons....

oh and your a small company, and EA just bought you out or something... Hmmm I can't imagine how that could make anything more difficult.

Live long and prosper.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes u don't know how big or how long Makeb is so don't jump to conclusions yet...Although I am 100% with you subscribers should not have to pay even just $10. Either "EAware" is failing to make money (Most likely) or they just don't care that you subb other than the money in they're pockets.

If you like the game and want it to be around then support it. Don't go to McDonalds once this week and you have the 10 bucks for the xpac or whatever it is they are selling to us.

You guys will blow 100 bucks buying cartel packs but get upset because 10 bucks is to much for content :rolleyes:

If you like the game and want it to be around then support it. Don't go to McDonalds once this week and you have the 10 bucks for the xpac or whatever it is they are selling to us.

You guys will blow 100 bucks buying cartel packs but get upset because 10 bucks is to much for content :rolleyes:

I am glad I am not the only one with a brain left in this joint! :cool:

"One planet is not an expansion"

well, you know what they say about opinions.....

Someone's is always right? :)

Compared to Gambling Packs, Makeb is an absolute bargin, there's no doubt about that. :csw_yoda: (mind you it still would be compared to them even if it cost $100.00 :eek:)

Sorry EAWare but a single planet is not considered an expansion for any mmo. $10 isn't a lot of money but it shouldn't cost anything to subscribers to be honest. You have made a killing with the f2p shop, it's not like you're not making money off this game already! Not to mention you can't even purchase it with CC coins, just seems to me like another nickel and dime grab from your loyal fans.

Yes it is. 5 levels and enough new missions to get those 5 levels IS an expansion. Its a small expansion, which is why its cheap.

A new large planet in SWTOR is equivalent to a handful of zones in other MMOS, which is what is considered an expansion if delivered all at one.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

Enough content to last one or two weeks minimum.

This is a very personal statement. And by that definition: Not one WoW expansion was worthy of your definition of expansion because a group of people beat most content of all those expansions within the first few weeks.

Congratulations.

Let's talk hours of gameplay split into different activities like levelling, exploration, PVP, Raiding, mini games, etc.. than you have one way to measure amount of 'content'. But content itself is very hard to measure because in almost every game time spent on content is created by making the player repeat certain activities to achieve certain results. This is extra true for MMO's, but every game has that. And can you really count content once if it is designed to be repeated?

In that essence.. the original game had numerous hours of class stories, 8 in total, combined with 2 seperate stories for every planet as well as flashpoints, operations and all that jazz. But for a certain subgroup of players the content was done way too quickly because they choose to focus on 1 class story and 1 planet story, often not even experiencing everything along the way, then came to the repeated content of endgame and said there wasn't enough of that and complained the game doesn't have enough content, while effectively doing only 1/8th of the class content and 1/2 of the planet content. Meaning that, in total, they did probably only 20-30% of available content. But for them and their experience of the game, their complaint was valid. They had done what they wanted to do, even if it wasn't even half of what was available.

And this is no different in other MMO's or games really.

So you can't measure an expansion on content because content itself is much too personal and subjective.

Edited by Devlonir

Yes it is. 5 levels and enough new missions to get those 5 levels IS an expansion. Its a small expansion, which is why its cheap.

A new large planet in SWTOR is equivalent to a handful of zones in other MMOS, which is what is considered an expansion if delivered all at one.

That is still an adventure pack though. Expansions have more than a handfull of zones, or have a handful of zones the size OF Belsavis. :)

That is still an adventure pack though. Expansions have more than a handfull of zones, or have a handful of zones the size OF Belsavis. :)

Adding a planet and new level expands the things you can do in a game in multiple ways.

Something that expands on a product, in any line of business, is called an expansion of the product.

The dictionary is against you my friend ;-)

Really, all this discussion about wether or not it is worth the name of an expansion is pointless at this time. So please let's just stop doing it. Rise of the Hutt Cartel will expand the story of the game, will expand the amount of levels you can gain, will expand your total amount of skill points, will expand the abilities your character has available for themselves. It is an expansion of all these things. Let's stop battling about semantics and just measure the product on it's actual worth as soon as it is released.

I bought RotHC as soon as it was available. Do I think the product itself was worth 10 dollars? I don't know.. what I do know is that, for me, the ability to play it earlier than others was worth 10 dollars. Hence me buying it now. That is the decision I made. If it's not worth 10 dollars to you now, don't spend it now. If it is still not worth 10 dollars to you when it's released, don't spend it then. it is really that simple.

This thread helps about as much as going to the toilet does: It releaves me of some crap, but I know that soon I'll need to be releaved of it again anyway.

Adding a planet and new level expands the things you can do in a game in multiple ways.

Something that expands on a product, in any line of business, is called an expansion of the product.

The dictionary is against you my friend ;-)

Really, all this discussion about wether or not it is worth the name of an expansion is pointless at this time. So please let's just stop doing it. Rise of the Hutt Cartel will expand the story of the game, will expand the amount of levels you can gain, will expand your total amount of skill points, will expand the abilities your character has available for themselves. It is an expansion of all these things. Let's stop battling about semantics and just measure the product on it's actual worth as soon as it is released.

I bought RotHC as soon as it was available. Do I think the product itself was worth 10 dollars? I don't know.. what I do know is that, for me, the ability to play it earlier than others was worth 10 dollars. Hence me buying it now. That is the decision I made. If it's not worth 10 dollars to you now, don't spend it now. If it is still not worth 10 dollars to you when it's released, don't spend it then. it is really that simple.

This thread helps about as much as going to the toilet does: It releaves me of some crap, but I know that soon I'll need to be releaved of it again anyway.

Ruins of Kunark is an expansion, a planet the size of Belsavis is an adventure pack.

Bioware EA's PR departement have called it an "expansion" for specific reasons, but if you call a Duck a Swan it still doens't stop it being a Duck. It is and always will be a Duck. :)

Ruins of Kunark is an expansion, a planet the size of Belsavis is an adventure pack.

Bioware EA's PR departement have called it an "expansion" for specific reasons, but if you call a Duck a Swan it still doens't stop it being a Duck. It is and always will be a Duck. :)

You missed my point largely there my friend.

It was very simply: The term expansion itself is a non-standard description of something. Just because most expansions have a specific set of things, there is no very cleary definition or boundary between what amount of a content release is considered an actual expansion and what is not. There is no clearly defined industry standard of what needs to be in something before it is allowed to be called an expansion. So any discussion concerning this is pointless and about nothing but semantics.

This is a very simple fact despite all the claims made in this thread.

If a product expands on itself, than whatever does that expanding can be called an expansion of the earlier product. That is the only standard the word 'expansion' has: that it must expand on the original product.

Rise of the Hutt Cartel expands on the original product.

As did most of their content patches.

Simple and 100% true facts. Unlike the claim: Rise of the Hutt Cartel is not an expansion. The fact it is still being debated now is, in itself, clear proof that the fact that it is not an expansion is, actually, not a fact but an opinion.

Edited by Devlonir

You missed my point largely there my friend.

It was very simply: The term expansion itself is a non-standard description of something. Just because most expansions have a specific set of things, there is no very cleary definition or boundary between what amount of a content release is considered an actual expansion and what is not. There is no clearly defined industry standard of what needs to be in something before it is allowed to be called an expansion. So any discussion concerning this is pointless and about nothing but semantics.

This is a very simple fact despite all the claims made in this thread.

If a product expands on itself, than whatever does that expanding can be called an expansion of the earlier product. That is the only standard the word 'expansion' has: that it must expand on the original product.

Rise of the Hutt Cartel expands on the original product.

As did most of their content patches.

Simple and 100% true facts. Unlike the claim: Rise of the Hutt Cartel is not an expansion. The fact it is still being debated now is, in itself, clear proof that the fact that it is not an expansion is, actually, not a fact but an opinion.

We just disagree, you can call a duck whatever you want (and I agree you can).

However I don't believe calling a duck a swan makes it a swan.

Or an adventure pack and expansion makes it an expansion.

You believe calling something an expansion makes it an expansion, but you'll never convince me of that I'm afriad (especially when Bioware EA's PR department had very specific reasons for calling it an "expansion" IMO - most of which would be said to be more than a little disingenuous).

Or basically if someone tries to sell me a duck as a "swan" I'm always going to say "Er....... no. That is a duck!". :)

Edited by Goretzu

people have been expecting new flashpoints and new operations to go with Makeb, and I am pretty sure they're going to be disappointed.

(And I still stand by my earlier position that I won't buy Makeb. It was already paid by my subscription in 2012 when James Ohlen announced it, and I'm 100% sure that "they" did not even add a single thing more than what James originally designed for Makeb. It's just pure greed to make subscribers pay for it)

Edited by Oggthebase

We just disagree, you can call a duck whatever you want (and I agree you can).

However I don't believe calling a duck a swan makes it a swan.

Or an adventure pack and expansion makes it an expansion.

You believe calling something an expansion makes it an expansion, but you'll never convince me of that I'm afriad (especially when Bioware EA's PR department had very specific reasons for calling it an "expansion" IMO - most of which would be said to be more than a little disingenuous).

Or basically if someone tries to sell me a duck as a "swan" I'm always going to say "Er....... no. That is a duck!". :)

Calling a Swan a Duck isn't really right either. Until it actually comes out, no one knows what it will be. That's his point. Anyone can have an opinion. However, making assumptions based on something that you haven't seen, heard, or played with and calling it EITHER a Duck or a Swan is premature and pointless. Just hope for the best. $10 is not a big gamble even if it happens to suck. Take the Extra 5 levels, abilities, and corresponding points and move on.

Calling a Swan a Duck isn't really right either. Until it actually comes out, no one knows what it will be. That's his point. Anyone can have an opinion. However, making assumptions based on something that you haven't seen, heard, or played with and calling it EITHER a Duck or a Swan is premature and pointless. Just hope for the best. $10 is not a big gamble even if it happens to suck. Take the Extra 5 levels, abilities, and corresponding points and move on.

We know exactly how big it is, they've told us - the size of Belsavis. :confused:

EXPANSION means the thing is expanding... learn 2 understand....

im so sick of reading all the complainment of people with psychical-disorders...

if you do not like the game.. LEAVE... stop crying a whole river...

dont cry for me argentina ..*sing*

EXPANSION means the thing is expanding... learn 2 understand....

im so sick of reading all the complainment of people with psychical-disorders...

if you do not like the game.. LEAVE... stop crying a whole river...

dont cry for me argentina ..*sing*

By that defination adding the Black Hole dalies was an "expansion". :confused:

Again not a defination I'd recognise myself. :)

I've always played MMO, and Expansion = X.

This MMO, they say Expansion = Y.

They should know Expansion = X and not Y, are they dumb or something? This very value has been written into the sky by Zeus and his minions. It's so clear, and idiot can understand.

Even if Expansion Price (Y) = 0.25X, an Expansion is still X. Unless we have 4 expansions at once. Then, Expansion Price (Y) = (4)(0.25)X = X. Perfect. See. That is the way it should be.

It's not a surprise really, since it appears that the only definition you understand is "the adventure pack" which you are blabbing about since they announced Makeb.

Again it's not surprising that I won't accept a duck being sold as a swan, I'm fine with a duck being sold as a duck however. :)