HK-51 for low level character

Lukasz

Hey, is it possible to get HK-51 as companion for low level character. If yes how to do it. Should I get all necessery parts and build it on Belsavis? It would be difficult to do with character on 15th lvl but possible with some help.

So... any ideas?

You cannot unlock him as a companion until you hit 50. After you do the quest the first time on your 50, you can then pay 1 million credits or some amount of cartel coins to unlock him earlier on low level alts. You also need at least one 50 and at least a level 15ish toon of the opposite faction to complete the quest the first time.

You can though its not really worth it. He starts with level 50 gear that he can't use so he will be naked on your low level and you wont get HK parts from quests like you would get other comp gear, he won't add much dialogue, and isn't all that much better then your normal tank or dps comp.

It also costs 1,000,000 PER character to unlock him, so lotta credit farming just to get him

You can though its not really worth it. He starts with level 50 gear that he can't use so he will be naked on your low level and you wont get HK parts from quests like you would get other comp gear, he won't add much dialogue, and isn't all that much better then your normal tank or dps comp.

It also costs 1,000,000 PER character to unlock him, so lotta credit farming just to get him

This is the main problem, he needs to come with level 1 orange shells so you can at least gear him yourself. I unlocked him at level 1 and he was outclassed as soon as I got my first real companion.

This is the main problem, he needs to come with level 1 orange shells so you can at least gear him yourself. I unlocked him at level 1 and he was outclassed as soon as I got my first real companion.

The legacy mail came last week...though it forgot his knife.

Not sure you can even get the quest at 15. One of the parts you need costs 125k credits. There are 3 lvl 50 heroic 2s, and you're going to have to run story mode False Emperor, and hard mode Maelstrom/Foundry. Maybe your guild would carry you through those FPs and heroics, but again, not sure you can even get the quest before 50 or at least upper 40s.

What does that mean?

Characters with HK-51 got an in game mail with a 2nd set of gear minus the vibroknife, since apparently there is a bug where some people get him naked.

Edited by HarleysRule

Not sure you can even get the quest at 15. One of the parts you need costs 125k credits. There are 3 lvl 50 heroic 2s, and you're going to have to run story mode False Emperor, and hard mode Maelstrom/Foundry. Maybe your guild would carry you through those FPs and heroics, but again, not sure you can even get the quest before 50 or at least upper 40s.

Characters with HK-51 got a in game mail with a 2nd set of gear minus the vibroknife, since apparently there is a bug where some people get him naked.

Once you complete the quest on a 50, your alts from the same faction can choose to just unlock him for 1 million credits or some cartel coins. So you can have him at low level, I bought him first thing on my new alt at level 1.

Once you complete the quest on a 50, your alts from the same faction can choose to just unlock him for 1 million credits or some cartel coins. So you can have him at low level, I bought him first thing on my new alt at level 1.

Right, but it sounds like OP doesn't have a 50 to unlock it with.

• 1 month later...

HK is totally worth it for low lvl chars!! He absolutely awesome in combat although you do have to gear him yourself.

This is very easy if you take up cybertech as you can make your own parts for him as you lvl up :) seeing him do 17k! crits at lvl 15 with assassinate is just... well you won't get bored of it i tell you :p

Anyone who played KoToR will laugh at his little quips and phrases while fighting, your jaw will hit the floor when you start getting 17k! crits at lvl 15 (may have mentioned that already) and he's a joy to watch :p

And then there's the crits!! hehehe

I love my HK and no other companion comes close now :)

Bastard to gear low level but the damage and toughness compliment my healer far more than any companion so far. For non healers, I will not vouch. I have not yet seen him do a 17k crit with all blue/purple gear and mods at level 30 though.

The gear doesn't matter and it's not real damage, his assassinate skil just kills a weak or strong enemy. If the strong enemy had a million hit points he would do a million damage.

To unlock HK-51 on a low level character, it is a 2 step process

1. Unlock him via the mission chain on a level 50 character.

2. Purchase him via credits or cartel coins on the Legacy Character Perks page.

Is he worth buying for a low level characters? Hell yea. You will need to get some level appropriate gear for him since he comes with lvl 50 stuff (until you are 50, it is "broken" on him) a couple thousand at the GTN will work, but a decent blaster/sniper rifle and a couple other items, and frankly he is overpowered until around level 30. At which point things start balancing out, but he is still useful through to level 50.

But, I've also found out that he makes for a great companion until you get your first real one. Even if he's got all his level 50 orange gear that doesn't affect him in any way, a naked HK-51 is still very strong...at first. With each level, his strength diminishes, so by the time you get your first normal companion, he's outlived his usefulness until you reach level 50 yourself.

Well yeah, considering your expected to be alone he contributes quite a bit of dps right at the start. I have leveled now up to 39 so far with him as my companion the whole time and It's been pretty smooth.

By about level 20 you can have him in half custom parts so you can use actual dps mods. Before that just put him in whatever droid tank gear you can find. Around 30ish you can have a cybertech make the last two custom parts you need to have him in a full set.

I really like leveling with him because he's a really efficient dps, you don't need to turn of any of his abilities since he doesn't have any aoes and he has a stun he uses regularly. I still think there is a better way to handle it then having him come in level 50 gear he can't use but once you just give up on that and start regearing him it's not too painful.

Edited by nbayer

To unlock HK-51 on a low level character, it is a 2 step process

1. Unlock him via the mission chain on a level 50 character.

2. Purchase him via credits or cartel coins on the Legacy Character Perks page.

Is he worth buying for a low level characters? Hell yea. You will need to get some level appropriate gear for him since he comes with lvl 50 stuff (until you are 50, it is "broken" on him) a couple thousand at the GTN will work, but a decent blaster/sniper rifle and a couple other items, and frankly he is overpowered until around level 30. At which point things start balancing out, but he is still useful through to level 50.

He is a lot of fun.It is a nice change of pace.I craft his gear myself so no big deal.You can pick up a low level knife for 14 coms I believe.Since it is custom you can upgrade.He is the only thing I use CC for. I have several with my chrs.Funny thing is I didn't use him much in K1 and K2.I picked him up for GP more than anything else.

I find he's by far the best dps companion, keep in mind he has two main stats aim and cunning, and as a crafter, if my other companions have needed bonuses, HK's presence allows me to keep them working on mat missions/crafting while he's with me debuffing hit points. Not to knock other posters who say he's not worth it, but imo he's very worth it, I guess ultimately ymmv, but to me he's been well worth the million on multiple characters. Of course I'm not broke, partly because I don't listen to the multitudes who say you can't make any money crafting sub 50, but that's another thread....