Melee DPS, which to play

McBlobbicus

Finished my sorc and healing didn't end up clicking for me, in fact ranged in any MMO doesn't tend to click for me since I like to smash people's faces in. Anyway, I've been trying to figure out which class to main for DPS and I'm completely stuck. Right now it's mara vs jugg, though assassin crossed my mind a few times. In the case of mara vs jugg, I've seen people say that jugg tends to trump mara DPS wise. Is this true? Mara looks like it has some amazing utility, while jugg has some pretty good defense, but I honestly wouldn't know which is more valuable 50+,

I'm not (currently) going to be doing any hardcore end gaming, so that might be a factor to consider.

It all depends. Do you want true melee, or 'melee'. Cause I would have recommended a Vanguard or Powertech, because while they have all the advantages of a melee class (instant casts, decent passive survivability) and are considered Melee by some, they also get a nice boost to their attacks so they can attack from ~10-15m most of the time (they still have rotational melee attacks though).

Plus there is a huge anti-melee bias in a lot of pug groups that tends to pick on Lightsaber classes the most. While I kick everyone who acts like that whenever I lead a pug group (and leave any group that acts like this), these things do happen, and the easiest way to avoid this is to not be on a true melee class.

I mean come on guys, its story mode. I was in a group that almost 8-manned 16-man SM Revan despite being a pug group with me being the only guy with a set bonus (We killed the core, but everyone died on the previous heave except me, and when I killed the core an abberation exploded and killed me, resetting the fight). Every class can do it easy.

As for gameplay between marauders and juggs, juggs are more fun in the current state, though I could see maras getting fixed soon™. Juggs are also easier

That's a real shame I guess, that the mentality that melee is useless compared to ranged is still alive and kicking. When I first was planning on getting back into the game a few weeks ago I was going to roll with merc, but like I mentioned I always end up drifting back to wanting to do melee.

Powertech could be interesting, I'll read over the guides in your sig and see what I think.

Edited by McBlobbicus

• 2 weeks later...
That's a real shame I guess, that the mentality that melee is useless compared to ranged is still alive and kicking. When I first was planning on getting back into the game a few weeks ago I was going to roll with merc, but like I mentioned I always end up drifting back to wanting to do melee.

Powertech could be interesting, I'll read over the guides in your sig and see what I think.

I hear you. When I'm not being guilt-tripped for playing my Guardian, the new 60 Ops are actually some of the most fun I've had in a long time. It's a thrill having to constantly be on alert, dodging everything, sneaking in opportunities to hit Master Strike and being creative on using my Force Leap and Guardian Leap.

On my Gunslinger, it's like I'm ignoring half of the game and I feel so detached from what's going on.

In a PvP situation, it's different because the challenge is in fighting strong opponents. In PvE, I'm just trying to enjoy the game with my Star Wars character on a not even hard-mode difficulty setting.

I happen to LOVE my powertech. Was one of the best pvpers and duelists in my guild. Ironically, only the high-leveled assassin could beat me in a duel.

The powertech, especially one who focuses on defense, is a being of pure awesome. He can take damage like crazy, and dish out a decent amount.

He's not pure "melee" as it were, but he's in your face, close range with a flame-thrower, a fire-shield that does damage just by proximity, a rocket-punch, and prett decent attacks at mid-range.

What about the viability of other melee dps besides Powertechs? Or are pugs and guilds saying go Powertech or dont bother with other melee dps.

I would love to raid with an all Bounty Hunter and Agent group. And also an all Sith Warrior and Inquisitor group. Just for the fun of it.