The Sixth Line: Part One

TaitWatson

I really enjoy these stories, it's too bad that they're not a bit longer though. It seems as if as soon as I start getting into the story itself, it's over already, ha ha. However, I suppose that given how well written I feel these to be, no matter of length besides a book will do. :rolleyes:

What makes the 6th line Jedi any different from all of the other militaristic jedi that have been encountered. It might be more unique to have a jedi order that weren't militaristic.

No, it would not.

Firstly, the Altisian Jedi of Djinn Altis were little pukes who could hardly fight because the ywere all "mercy mission-y" and so on.

Then there was that other order, Al-something.....from the Living Force Campaign, was a very, very boring story.

Sorry, its STAR WARS we're interested in, there have to be stars - so less of this planet-bound *****, and wars, we've already have enough of negotaitons, now we need them aggressive.

No, it would not.

Firstly, the Altisian Jedi of Djinn Altis were little pukes who could hardly fight because the ywere all "mercy mission-y" and so on.

Then there was that other order, Al-something.....from the Living Force Campaign, was a very, very boring story.

Sorry, its STAR WARS we're interested in, there have to be stars - so less of this planet-bound *****, and wars, we've already have enough of negotaitons, now we need them aggressive.

Where did the Altisian Jedi of Djinn turn up in TOR?

Where is the living force campaign in ToR?

99% of Jedi encountered outside of council chambers in ToR are militaristic. They lead fleets, they lead armies and in many cases do not answer to the Supreme Chancellor or any military command yet have troops/pilots under their control. Those that don't are almost always encountered on combat missions or similar militaristic pursuits.

That a 6th line sect has appeared who are militaristic is no different from the Jedi that follow the first 5 lines, I can't see any difference between them and every other Jedi in ToR, So what marks them different other than adding what must be a redundant line to the code. The code doesn't appear to have stopped any other jedi from entering the war so why do they need a line to define their involvement?

Where did the Altisian Jedi of Djinn turn up in TOR?

Where is the living force campaign in ToR?

99% of Jedi encountered outside of council chambers in ToR are militaristic. They lead fleets, they lead armies and in many cases do not answer to the Supreme Chancellor or any military command yet have troops/pilots under their control. Those that don't are almost always encountered on combat missions or similar militaristic pursuits.

That a 6th line sect has appeared who are militaristic is no different from the Jedi that follow the first 5 lines, I can't see any difference between them and every other Jedi in ToR, So what marks them different other than adding what must be a redundant line to the code. The code doesn't appear to have stopped any other jedi from entering the war so why do they need a line to define their involvement?

Oh, so you're one of those Karen-Traviss crew Jedi-haters.

In that case, we have nothing to discuss. I'll just be wasting bandwidth.

Oh, so you're one of those Karen-Traviss crew Jedi-haters.

In that case, we have nothing to discuss. I'll just be wasting bandwidth.

Meh, long as he isn't "Mandos are living gods!" I'm cool.

Legacy of the Force: Revelation hurt me with it's whole "Mandos r bettah cause I say so!" moral.

Legacy of the Force: Revelation hurt me with it's whole "Mandos r bettah cause I say so!" moral.

LOTF Revelation wasn't the kicker for me, it was Order 66: A Republic COmmando Novel that pissed me off.

So, some Jedi are, quite rightly, killing clones. Good on them, give them a medal. So Etain acts all emotional and irrational, gets killed for it, and now Darman hates Jedi.....hate to break it to you kid, but, War = Dead bodies, even dead bodies yoou've married.

That entire book just read like a poor 70's story.

Edited by NikSunrider

LOTF Revelation wasn't the kicker for me, it was Order 66: A Republic COmmando Novel that pissed me off.

So, some Jedi are, quite rightly, killing clones. Good on them, give them a medal. So Etain acts all emotional and irrational, gets killed for it, and now Darman hates Jedi.....hate to break it to you kid, but, War = Dead bodies, even dead bodies yoou've married.

That entire book just read like a poor 70's story.

it took till the third book to turn you off her writing?

Nicely done Tait, I will tune in next week at the same TOR time and the same TOR station.

If any of you understand the reference I just made, you are old like me.

Yes thanks for making me feel old. :D:p

That was a pretty interesting read, but I have to ask... who were these characters and what is this "6th line"? Is there something in the story that I missed/don't remember? Maybe something from the Balmorra storyline? Thanks for the help :)

This short story is referring to Ziost update not Balmorra, because there we'll know a group of jedi deployed uncovered, Called " The Sixth Line".

:wea_01:

I thought so too, in a content sense i hope it will be more than a mere flashpoint, BW has a universe for a foundation, let alone the fact that its the Star Wars universe. I dont need to explain how much more we need to see, how much more they need to incorporate into the game, Star Wars is massive, there is much to be done.

This story has little backing it up. It's out of place. I like that it is darker than the others, but it's off the mark.

1. The Jedi in this era are militaristic. They command armies and are constantly on military missions. It is fragmentary, that there is a sect of Jedi who feel they have to be even more militaristic, without any background as to why, let alone opposition. WITHOUT ANY DISPUTE that the standard Jedi are not already too militaristic in the backdrop of the story anywhere! In the United States, we have Liberals and Conservatives, but we also have Progressives and the Tea Party. Even in Clone Wars, an anti-war element was introduced, which was never concluded after the Disney acquisition - but it was a backdrop put into the Star Wars Universe which gave the clone wars the proper depth the story needed to exhume war, with their anti-war holo-signs, messages, bombing plots, Genosian War Memorial and all. But yet somehow, this ultra militaristic element appears, with no opposition, except maybe by the book Jedi like Satele and Oteg who are already leading a war, hardcore??? How many lives has an average Jedi killed in this war in the name of “duty” by the time they achieve full ranked gear with titles like WAR hero, WARlord etc? MORE THAN ANY CONVICTED WAR CRIMINAL in human history! They are not "contemplating" enough! - AND NO ONE IS MAKING THIS ARGUMENT, so now we have an argument to excuse more war??? The story does not fit! The competing perspectives have not been written in.

2. So now we have Jedi who do not meditate because there is "No contemplation"?

"In a religious sense, contemplation is usually a type of prayer or MEDITATION." - Wikipedia

If said character is not meditating consistently on a regular basis, said character is simply not a Jedi. Hence this story is off target, by light years. No Jedi sect can be a part of this and still be a Jedi sect. It's impossible. Even the Sith would agree, this is pretty off.

3. Why are the Jedi being written in for this story, instead of troopers? It's like casting Han Solo to play Boba Fett because they both like money, even though one is a cold blooded bounty hunter doing a legal job and the other is a smuggler breaking the law. This story does not fit. It can be argued for a trooper who may claim they are expected to follow orders and not "question" them, which is what "contemplating" may bring someone to do, to question an order. Choosing the Jedi over Troopers for this story, is pretty much neglecting the trooper story arc. Troopers have duty, Jedi contemplate. It's supposed to be a Trooper story, not a Jedi one. Even troopers are expected to question an order here and there, and a Jedi should be the one to help a trooper question that order, but this story is taking a different direction, an incorrect direction.

4. "There is only Duty" That is an attachment! In this story it is argued that feelings of attachment over a tortured Jedi are getting in the way of "duty". It is redundant. Anyone can be blinded by Duty, to the point where one doesn't even remember why they "committed" to that duty. It becomes a twisted "commitment" or a twisted "obligation" and that in itself is an attachment that can imprison a person's mind if one is refusing to "think about it" in contemplation. But this can all be put into the story I am sure. I am only making this point because its too much already for any Jedi to adopt this line. It should have been a debate between Troopers and Jedi, and it could have been a great opportunity to bring back that Jedi/Trooper relationship which Dark Horse and even Filoni did a great job of portraying some years back.

5. Contemplation is the Jedi way. I don't mean to be any more disagreeable than I already am here, but I feel like this was rushed, and the word your writing staff was looking for was “Complacency”, not “Contemplation”. I can see a debate between the Jedi where over contemplating can turn into complacency, in a time when a job needs to be done. A job, the Jedi may have “committed” to. So it would make sense that a sect arises wishing to deter this complacency. But how does a Jedi sect appear that is against meditating?! That's silly.

6. Duty is the way of the trooper. The Jedi, are more interested in serving. I know its not until Luke Skywalker, where we hear “Jedi serve others, rather than rule over them, for the good of the galaxy”. But it is trusted that Luke Skywalker did not simply pull this out of no where. In fact when a reader reads that Jedi creed, the reader feels like it was written by a true Jedi. I don't get that same feeling when I read the sixth line.

Perhaps it would have been better that say:

“There is no complacency, there is only servitude”

^ That feels like words put together by a Jedi.

Or even “There is no complacency, there is only sacrifice” to make it more radical and controversial, perhaps even adding the element of a Jedi martyr to the story. Even "commitment" would have been better than "duty".

In short, the Jedi are not Troopers. Sure we can have a story, where an opposition arises wanting to make the Jedi more soldier like, and the rest of the Jedi are alarmed seeing the war eat away at their core beliefs (which makes for a really great plot), but don't make the Jedi talk like troopers. The Jedi like any other profession have their own language, and so to do troopers.

I hope my critique wasn't too harsh. I'm just a concerned Star Wars fan.

Edited by HiddenPalm

Love these stories, it shows human nature, feelings, even if you're a part of radical ''religion'' order, you still have a heart, sometimes some event that left open scar in your heart can change you forever, I've guess this will be the story for (The Sixth line)...

Note: I want to see Republic dirty work at war time as well, not only Imperial side!...

Here is what some characters would reply to this point of view:

Yoda: Hrmph! Wars don't make one great.

Palpatine: Gooooood, let the hate flow through you!

Mandos are awesome. Certainly much more interesting than most of the Old republic era Jedi, with their stuck up, rigid Jedi code, whose tenets were disproved by the Skywalkers.

Edited by Strajder