*Spoiler* Rey's Force abilities

Supreme_Heretic

Quite hard to beive. Keep in mind all Lightswordtechniques are based on the possibility of the fighter to tap into the force. So, automatically some movements and reactions are similar to a trained or no trained wielder, since they come throught the force.

Just giving you a RL example. A trained swordsman ist dueling a untrained enemy. The duelist strikes a blow from up to down. What ist the reflex of the untrained one? Hieve his sword vertically over his head to defend himself. <- Exactly the same reactions are coming from the force. All those unnatural moves were only added into the swordstyles.

Since Anakin became during the Clone Wars a master in several lightsword fightingstyles he naturally shows those reactions by the foce anyway. Rey is not trained as a swordfighter, but taping into the force her reflexes are similar at some point. Thatfore it doesn't have to be the "channeling anybodys forcespirit" to move like that for a force adept. And by the way, at this point Rey has more in common to a sister of Darthomyr than to a Jedi, since the Sisters tap into the force more "naturally" but Jedi/Sith tap into the force trained to do special things. It's kind a same like the diference between a warlock and a mage.

You've not read "Splinter in the Mind's eye", have you? At the height of the book, Vader and Luke have a duel. Luke is losing until Obi Wan's spirit comes to his aid, possesses him (for lack of a better term), and fights Vader. The phrase spoken by Obi Wan's spirit in Episode V on Degobah where he tells Luke that if Luke faces Vader that he won't be able to interfere is a reference to what happened in the book. What if something similar is happening to Rey, but instead of Obi Wan's spirit, it's Anakin's spirit coming to the aid of his granddaughter?

I bring this up because of three things I noticed in the moves. First, when Rey first finds the saber, it's calling to her. if you pay attention, you hear voices in the background calling to her. Second, she has visions of events that happened specifically to Luke and/or Anakin, such as the hall way in Cloud City from Episode V. Finally, when she finally takes a moment in the duel to channel the Force, watch her moves. She has a similar look on her face as Anakin had when he faced Obi Wan. She holds the saber in almost an identical manner as Anakin did on Mustafar. She comes down with a hard downward swing and ripostes like Anakin did against Obi wan. She even grabs Kylo's sword hand and he grabs hers and they wrestle a moment just like Anakin and Obi wan did on Mustafar. That's way too much of a coincidence for her to simply using some type of battle meditation. There are only two explanations that I can find that explains it. One is spoken of in the book as I mentioned above. The other is that she's having visions of Anakin's duel against Obi wan during her duel with Kylo Ren, and is mimicking what she's seeing.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't find Rey's abilities at all unbelievable.

Simple precedent is Ezra. No where near the force potential as a Skywalker (presumably anyway) and yet he:

senses Kanan's presence before Kanan (partially trained at least) senses his

dodges laser cannon fire he sensed coming through the force

he can force jump/lift a crate probably weighing several hundred pounds into the ghost with no training or even knowledge of the force.

With only a basic understanding of what the force is he does a couple impressive force leaps (consciously, he was clearly in control of his actions), and short time later a desperate force push with enough power to blow a grown man off his feet and stun him.

Also like Rey, he is an effective orphan, which means they went through the same quest to survive, maturing them much faster than typical people.

Both of their parent(s) were still alive during their orphan periods (assuming Rey is indeed Luke's daughter) but close enough, since they weren't there

Now Rey is older, with more stable personality (both grew up on their own, so both are going to be strong willed and independent) plus already has melee combat experience. We also notice a trend between these two, when you put them in desperate situations, they perform their most impressive feats. I doubl Rey understands her abilities any more than Ezra did, but that doesn't stop her from using them.

And now to address the inevitable "But Luke!" comments.

Luke never discovered any of his abilities on his own before being introduced to the force. The only manifestation we can guess at is his piloting skill, which was never so good as to raise eyebrows, just really talented. This means his first introduction was that brief session on the Falcon with the remote. Then Ben dies. This leaves Luke with nothing really to go on. No surprise he stalls in his abilities, he simply defaults to what he is good at. Flying.

Luke did presumably discover TK on his own (the only force powers Ben introduces is precognition and mind trick), so the idea that a force user MUST be taught has been bunk since the beginning.

Luke never had to really be independent, he grew up in a hard but fairly safe life (considering his response to the Sand People he clearly didn't have experience with them), with chores being his main responsibility. Simply put, he is far more immature, and this really hampers his ability to develop his force talents (just like it hampers the ability to develop any talent)

Not sure if this has been mentioned here yet but my explanation for Rey being able to use the force as she did is that she is in fact one of Luke's former padawans/younglings. Huh? let me explain.

Han Solo mentions how Kylo Ren was once one of Lukes padawans, and he turned at some point and apparently killing everyone and destroying the temple. My theory is that Rey (a little girl at the time) was somehow rescued and sent away by Luke during this event. The experience being as traumatic as it was combined with being so young she may not remember anything really. However, I think she in the back of her mind was starting to remember "The Force" as the events of the film go on.

It makes sense when you think about how she saw the flashes when she touched the saber and her being so scared and emotional or when she was fighting Kylo and he says something like "I can teach you the ways of the force" and you can see the light bulb go off in her eyes when she hears the word "force" as if she vaguely remembers something about it. I think by the final scene where she hands Luke his old saber she has an idea of whats going on and Luke knows exactly who she is.

Edited by Motovator

During Rey's flashback you hear Obi -Wan say "Rey...these are your first steps". We also don't know what extent the power is in "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can imagine." line. Clearly this will be revealed in the next movie and I imagine there will be a lot of people inserting foot in mouth for saying her seemingly 'instant' ability with the force is a mistake.

I have the audio book. In the novelization it is stated that when Kylo probes her mind he encounters a barrier someone had put up in her mind and his probing broke through that barrier, hence her force powers awakening.

. . . . I know books tend to have far more details than movie adaptations (or in this case a book adaptation of the movie) but of all things to leave out of the movie. . . . I mean seriously!

Edited by Madeira

. . . . I know books tend to have far more details than movie adaptations (or in this case a book adaptation of the movie) but of all things to leave out of the movie. . . . I mean seriously!

the phrase "Show don't tell" comes to mind. after that scene Rey's suddenly knowing how to use abilities etc. which strongly indicated it. thing is there's not really been much chance to provide exposition, I suspect we'll see some of that in episode 8.

Ren basically tells his men (and thusly the audience) that Rey's force powers are growing by the hour. His line I believe was "The longer she's out there, the more powerful she becomes."

Ren basically tells his men (and thusly the audience) that Rey's force powers are growing by the hour. His line I believe was "The longer she's out there, the more powerful she becomes."

Indeed, it was obvious that, somehow, some way, a dam had burst. I suspect episode 8 will.. clear some things up and we'll learn Rey's "secret orgin"