[Dev Post] There is HOPE for Mercenary!

DkSharktooth

Once burned, twice shy. 16 times burned, you simply don't believe it.

Let's be honest - they've already rolled out some of the new Merc 'improvements" in the 3/14 patch. And what were they? Effectively a nerf to Thermal Detenator, and a whopping 50% nerf to CGC. LOL. Of course they used spin control and called the 50% nerf to CGC, a "rebalancing". Doesn't matter what you call it, it is a huge nerf to CGC.

It looks like they're trying to turn Arsenal into the burst spec and pyro into a burn DoT kiting spec similar to madness/ balance for consular/ inquisitors. The only problem is that we still don't have near the kiting tools available as does balance/ madness, e.g. talented instant cast mezz, shorter CD on mezz, instant-cast secondary attack (our powershot should be similar to project), secondary mezz, talented CD reduction on stun, etc.

I'm hoping they really consider the suggestions regarding CD reductions for power surge, tso and electro-net as those changes will help somewhat. And TD needs to go back to its spike damage iteration.

And what's the deal with the CGC change? We didn't need the proc rate upped for Rapid Shots as we have a guaranteed on demand proc from Missile Salvo.

That's the point. Half your CGC procs will come from Rail Shot's auto proc. The marginal increase in Rapid Shots' proc rate, means that overall a Merc Pyro *might* proc CGC 10% more often. At the cost of a 50% damage nerf. It is a nerf. They call it a "rebalancing", but it is a nerf. Just like they nerfed Merc Pyro when they "rebalanced" Sweltering Heat.

Pyro spec needs to be scrapped and something new put in to differentiate between pt's and mercs. i personally would like an alternative to arsenal. I hate just standing there and feeling like I'm not doing anything. (Takes forever for them missles to launch.) Pyro has way too much heat to be used effectively in long term battles.

Also. Something insidious happened to this game last year. The community favorite went from mercenaries to marauders. Yes, we were op. But the class was fun and controllable. Now every noob that wants to be op rolls a marauder and force leap pulls everything in sight while yelling at the healer that he's not doing his job or trying to tell the tank how to do his. When's the last time we were yelled at for anything? I miss those days.

Something insidious happened to this game last year. The community favorite went from mercenaries to marauders. Yes, we were op. But the class was fun and controllable. Now every noob that wants to be op rolls a marauder and force leap pulls everything in sight while yelling at the healer that he's not doing his job or trying to tell the tank how to do his.

Merc was never OP. But the player base didn't know that. The player base didn't know how to use interrupts. The player base didn't know how to keep their target within range and their frontal arc as a melee dps. Now they do (or more of them do). That is why Merc sucks now.

just compared sniper to merc trying to figure out which to play and what I noticed is that sniper has 5 root/stun skills(all of them instant cast) and is uninterruptable. merc is similiar but can be interrupted, has 3 stun/roots after 2.0 and 1 needs to be charged, has little mobility and cast times like sniper but can not stun/root as well and can be intterrupted. Also sniper uses its energy resource much more effectively than merc. Edited by MarkXXIV