Han shot first!

Tarbal

He changed it to make Han look more heroic from the start of the series.

While I disagree with the change (Han's growth into a more heroic character was part of the charm, if you ask me), it sort of is Lucas' story to toy with. At least he's retconning it himself, instead of having to suffer with someone else doing the job.

That's why I have the original, unaltered set anyway.

it didnt even make sense for him to shoot first so good editing.

Sure it did.

He knew Greedo was a (poor) bounty hunter. He also knew that Greedo had a (justified) grudge against him, and likely was aware that Jabba was upset at him and while the Hutt would have preferred him alive, likely wouldn't have stipulated that 'living' was necessary at the time.

Rather then let Greedo get a free shot in, Han shot him under the table so he could go back to getting the money he owed Jabba in an attempt to get the Hutt off his back. If he didn't, he'd have had to deal with Greedo's grudge becoming a bit more violent (as this would have been the third time that Greedo demanded the payment, and the third time he got humiliated in the exchange).

He changed it to make Han look more heroic from the start of the series.

While I disagree with the change (Han's growth into a more heroic character was part of the charm, if you ask me), it sort of is Lucas' story to toy with. At least he's retconning it himself, instead of having to suffer with someone else doing the job.

That's why I have the original, unaltered set anyway.

He shouldn't be heroic, he should be the anti hero that he was always meant to be.

He shouldn't be heroic, he should be the anti hero that he was always meant to be.

Lucas feels otherwise (or he wouldn't have wrote the attainment of actual heroic qualities into the original, unedited trilogy), and it's his story. We can dislike where he went with it all we want, but at the end of the day, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Just to be clear... in the original version, Greedo did not shoot at all.

Han was a scoundrel, and his personality was slowly changed over the course of the OT. Leia played a part in changing him, and Han began to realize on his own that he was part of something bigger than himself (the rebellion).

Greedo was a professional bounty hunter. If Han hadn't shot first, he'd have been killed, therefore to claim he DIDN'T shoot first is moronic at best.

Professional bounty hunters shouldn't keep their pistol that close to them long enough for him to grab his pistol in the first place. He failed as a Bounty Hunter in that regard.

Just saying.

IIRC he changed it to comply with the MPAA to avoid having the rating changed when the Special Editions were bring re released in theaters. He's been seen wearing Han shot first t shirts since then. Edited by jmjon