Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Stats and How They Work


JSFrancois's Avatar


JSFrancois
06.15.2012 , 02:28 PM | #151
so do the bosses have zero intrinsic tech resistance as well?

i've been asking around too people generally say that skills that do weapon damage fall under the melee/ranged category and not under force/tech category. this would mean that all special skills are not tech. is this correct?

Daellia's Avatar


Daellia
06.16.2012 , 05:44 AM | #152
Quote:
so do the bosses have zero intrinsic tech resistance as well?
Correct. In fact, all known sources of Force or Tech resistance provide both Force and Tech resistance equally.

Quote:
i've been asking around too people generally say that skills that do weapon damage fall under the melee/ranged category and not under force/tech category. this would mean that all special skills are not tech. is this correct?
Abilities that explicitly state "weapon damage" in their tooltip are indeed Melee or Ranged abilities (though not all Melee/Ranged abilities state "weapon damage"). The abilities themselves also state what category they are in on the Abilities page itself. "Special" is a sub-classification of Melee and Ranged. There's technically 3 categories of attacks, I'll break it down:

Basic Melee/Ranged: Base miss chance 10% plus Defense. 20% is necessary to cap against a PvE boss.
Includes Saber Strike, Assault, Rifle Shot, and Rapid Shots, as well as their Republic mirrors.

Special Melee/Ranged: Base miss chance 0% plus Defense. 10% is necessary to cap against a PvE boss.

Force/Tech: Base miss chance 0% plus Resistance. 0% is necessary to cap against a PvE boss.

There aren't any classes in the game where capping Basic attack accuracy (so going to 20%) is worthwhile. For a number of classes, due to the portion of their damage coming from Force/Tech attacks, even capping special accuracy isn't desirable compared to other stats. That I know of, two classes prefer to avoid Accuracy entirely: Sorcs and Concealment Operatives (who derive approximately 85% of their damage from Tech attacks).
Even Angels must kill from time to time... ~Kaedis

dougiepants's Avatar


dougiepants
06.24.2012 , 09:57 AM | #153
Ok so from what I'm reading in the first post. It is saying I will see better returns from power than willpower mathematically correct? I'm just curious because I am wanting to make sure I am getting the most out of the augments I'm about to get for all my WH gear. Are there power augments or just the resolve willpower augments?

Daellia's Avatar


Daellia
06.24.2012 , 08:29 PM | #154
Quote:
Ok so from what I'm reading in the first post. It is saying I will see better returns from power than willpower mathematically correct? I'm just curious because I am wanting to make sure I am getting the most out of the augments I'm about to get for all my WH gear. Are there power augments or just the resolve willpower augments?
Negative. Willpower gives you less Damage Bonus baseline than Power does, but it has two very important boosts that help it out. Firstly, it also increases your crit chance (at a slower rate than Crit Rating, but on a separate and far shallower DR curve), and secondly, it gets boosted by 11% by buffs and skills (specifically, Mark of Power and Will of the Sith, which are additive with each other). This means that Power grants a whole 3.6% more Damage Bonus per point than Willpower, while Willpower grants Crit chance in addition. For essentially all gear levels currently in game, Willpower is fairly stable at 10% better than Power, point for point. You should always be using Resolve augments.
Even Angels must kill from time to time... ~Kaedis

dougiepants's Avatar


dougiepants
06.24.2012 , 09:55 PM | #155
Thanks so much for that info

Daellia's Avatar


Daellia
07.09.2012 , 03:37 AM | #156
For those that have this thread bookmarked, Aurojiin has taken over maintenance of it in the new sticky. Also, she's posted a Sage version here (which still needs sticky requests, at the time of this posting).

Note that I'll no longer be monitoring this thread. Please direct any further stat commentary/questions to Aurojiin's new thread(s), or PM/Post them on MMO-mechanics.com/swtor/forums.
Even Angels must kill from time to time... ~Kaedis

Aurojiin's Avatar


Aurojiin
07.09.2012 , 05:00 AM | #157
Quote: Originally Posted by Daellia View Post
she's
While this would make my ex-girlfriend stories quite a bit more exciting, the mundane truth is that I am but another member of the seething mass that is male videogamers.

Edit: I was sitting here musing about whether or not my username 'sounds' female... then I glanced across at my avatar. Oh.

Daellia's Avatar


Daellia
07.09.2012 , 11:04 AM | #158
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
While this would my ex-girlfriend stories quite a bit more exciting, the mundane truth is that I am but another member of the seething mass that is male videogamers.

Edit: I was sitting here musing about whether or not my username 'sounds' female... then I glanced across at my avatar. Oh.
Ya, I generally just use gender pronouns based on the avatar in question until told otherwise. I myself tend to use names that lean towards female-sounding (Daellia, for example), and I usually play female avatars in game as well (pretty *** > hairy ***), so I'm rather used to the confusion myself too.

Honestly, English just needs a gender-neutral pronoun (that doesn't make English majors sputter in indignation, like a singular "they" does). English doesn't inherently gender its nouns, why the hell do we gender our pronouns?
Even Angels must kill from time to time... ~Kaedis

IIIGinoIII's Avatar


IIIGinoIII
07.11.2012 , 11:47 AM | #159
Augmenting PvP gear for Healing Sorc any recommendations? You talk about diminishing returns. What stats have diminishing returns? All? Can you have too much expertise or willpower to have a diminising return? I know it sounds silly I heard some bad rumors, like Santa Claus doesn't exist. Just seeing what augments are recommended to have a good balance.

Daellia's Avatar


Daellia
07.11.2012 , 12:12 PM | #160
Quote: Originally Posted by IIIGinoIII View Post
Augmenting PvP gear for Healing Sorc any recommendations? You talk about diminishing returns. What stats have diminishing returns? All? Can you have too much expertise or willpower to have a diminising return? I know it sounds silly I heard some bad rumors, like Santa Claus doesn't exist. Just seeing what augments are recommended to have a good balance.
Please use the new thread for questions, as this thread isn't going to be monitored much longer. I'll answer your question over there.
Even Angels must kill from time to time... ~Kaedis