Chris Avellone on Revan vs Darth Traya & Meetra Surik

MarcheseAMM

Discussing with Mr. Chris Avellone via email has been a fantastic experience. He truly cares about the quality of his work, but also takes special notice to his fanbase. This was interesting, however:

Question: "You've said and implied many times that Revan is an immensely powerful character, and fans have been wondering for nearly a decade now what would have happened if Revan would have entered the scene during the Dark Wars. Assuming he knew of Kreia's devious plot to destroy the Force itself, he would most likely try to stop her before too much harm is done. In a hypothetical situation where that since Exile served as a unknowing pawn of Kreia's true intentions for the duration of the game, she would battle alongside Kreia, who do you think would prevail in that climatic battle? The Dark Lord Revan, or the Lord of Betrayal and "the hope of all life" (as Mical would describe her/him)?"

Answer: "If the Exile could defeat Kreia, Revan would have an easier time of it. (;_United with the Exile, Kreia and the Exile vs. Revan? My money’s still on Revan, since in my mind, Revan was a master strategist as well as an extremely powerful Force wielder. Granted, it depends on the circumstances, but everything else being equal, Revan’s just... Revan. Kreia’s still stuck in the past, and the Exile has their own issues. Note this is just focused on the games – I’m not calling into account anything that used to be/was in the Expanded Universe."

:jawa_evil:

He says if the circumstances were all balanced (referring to equal preparation and no ambushes, based on the other versus he commented on), Revan would be the victor through his strength in the Force and intelligence. Love ya mom. Edited by MarcheseAMM

He says if the circumstances were all balanced (referring to equal preparation and no ambushes, based on the other versus he commented on), Revan would be the victor through his strength in the Force and intelligence. Love ya mom.

But he says that's because Traya is in the past, and Surik has issues.

Like, what? I need to meet this guys' dealer.

But he says that's because Traya is in the past, and Surik has issues.

No he doesn't. He says Traya is stuck in the past, Surik having issues, and Revan being Revan in comparison to the circumstances. The circumstances, as he is trying to explain, point towards Revan. However he previously comments that assuming it would be a fair fight without any distractions or unbalance, Revan would take the win because of Force prowess and tactical mindset. If anything, he is trying to give Kreia and the Exile the benefit of the doubt.

Perhaps it was my mistake that his response, and his explanation on the circumstances were on entirely different lines. Content said in the second paragraph cannot be assumed to be referring to the former paragraph when logical sense has him referring to other details:

If the Exile could defeat Kreia, Revan would have an easier time of it. ;) United with the Exile, Kreia and the Exile vs. Revan? My money’s still on Revan, since in my mind, Revan was a master strategist as well as an extremely powerful Force wielder.

Granted, it depends on the circumstances, but everything else being equal, Revan’s just... Revan. Kreia’s still stuck in the past, and the Exile has their own issues.

Note this is just focused on the games – I’m not calling into account anything that used to be/was in the Expanded Universe.

Chris

Edited by MarcheseAMM

I think the problem is we way too often think like the guy from "Home improvement" or now Jazzer from Top Gear...More POWER. Revan could have less cylinders in his engine than Kriea but who cares, the author says that Revan has the strategic mind and control to utilize the power he does have to greater effect. We see this IRL all the time as well as in almost every genre of fiction. I have never understood why people around these parts seem to see this concept as something bad.

Soooo, whats this thread about really?

About something which is utterly pointless and seeks to diminish one or more characters in favor of another.

This is why I HATE showdowns and face-offs with a fiery passion.

But that's just me of course.

:rak_03:

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Uhm, huh? What he's saying makes quite literally 0 sense.

Am I the only one who read that and said "Ya that makes perfect sense to me"

All he said was in a fair contest Revan would defeat Kreia and the Exile. The only reason Revan would lose is if circumstances caused the contest to not be a fair match ie. in an Ambush.

Revan would win because Kreia lacks good foresight and the Exile would have confidence issues.

Edited by Galdos

Am I the only one who read that and said "Ya that makes perfect sense to me"

All he said was

Note this is just focused on the games – I’m not calling into account anything that used to be/was in the Expanded Universe."

He also said that Revan winning is based solely on the information available through the games (KoTOR & KoTOR2), and not on any EU materials.

In other words, he doesn't know what the three of them are capable of outside of the games.

It's basically a cop-out answer designed to appease both sides in such a (pointless) debate.

He also said that Revan winning is based solely on the information available through the games (KoTOR & KoTOR2), and not on any EU materials.

In other words, he doesn't know what the three of them are capable of outside of the games.

It's basically a cop-out answer designed to appease both sides in such a (pointless) debate.

Exactly. He is always like this. He knows DAMN WELL that there is a rapid "Revan for Master of the Universe" fan base out there. He also knows that he can't control what anyone else does with the character. He doesn't want to be the one pissing off the fan base for fear of the fansite headline "Revan writer doesn't say Revan bestest force user evar?!? Burn the heretic!!!" And he is likely contractually prohibited from making categorical statements in favor of Revan as he does not actually own the rights to any of them.

Edited by Ghisallo

Well yes, Chris was only the writer of one of those games (which was a direct sequal to the other one.) Asking him to have full knowledge of materials released after he had moved onto other work is a bit much.