Best skill to make lots of money...?

Macepwnspalpy

If they didn't want Slicers running missions for money, they why did they make missions that only return credit boxes? Why not exclusively have missions that return augs and schematics? Having those credit missions in the game implies that "printing money" was considered a valid gathering endeavor and not some kind of deplorable exploit.

Which is why they didn't take the credits away. No one's saying heavy slicers are bad people ... well, rational folks aren't, anyhow.

It was just dumb design to have a print money profession when credits and materials are the gate to crafting prowess - time is ultimately irrelevant as you have a bunch of otherwise idle companions. It may not be true at the moment, but there will come a time when credits can buy mats.

Go underworld trading, take the 9k you get from space missions at lvl 22, invest it in your level 5-6 UT Rich and Abundent metal/fabric missions*, post metals for 3k per blue metal bar and 10k for purple metal bar **

Con naive slicers to sell you the 340 Mission discovery schematic for 3.5k***

sell bars, with 2 companions expect to pull 60k for pressing a button 4 times in 2 hours.

oh and yes these will continue to sell, and they will sell at the exorbitant prices because they are used for the level 50 crafts, and some people still believe that the crafted gear is better then the commendation gear.

*if you only have companion gifts as missions, change zone, ex go from fleet to your ship

**( 1 mission costs 1.8k and 35 min to do, you get 2-8 bars for normal mission

***yealds 50+k of mats spread between metals, fabrics, and companion gifts. 1 type of which is used by 3 professions.

Go underworld trading, take the 9k you get from space missions at lvl 22, invest it in your level 5-6 UT Rich and Abundent metal/fabric missions*, post metals for 3k per blue metal bar and 10k for purple metal bar **

Con naive slicers to sell you the 340 Mission discovery schematic for 3.5k***

sell bars, with 2 companions expect to pull 60k for pressing a button 4 times in 2 hours.

oh and yes these will continue to sell, and they will sell at the exorbitant prices because they are used for the level 50 crafts, and some people still believe that the crafted gear is better then the commendation gear.

*if you only have companion gifts as missions, change zone, ex go from fleet to your ship

**( 1 mission costs 1.8k and 35 min to do, you get 2-8 bars for normal mission

***yealds 50+k of mats spread between metals, fabrics, and companion gifts. 1 type of which is used by 3 professions.

Strange I saw Grade 5/6 Blue/Purple Cloth/Metal selling at 400 per 10 units for 2 days. No one buys it.

And this is on a FULL server with >55MIN queue.

*if you only have companion gifts as missions, change zone, ex go from fleet to your ship.

Wait, seriously? That works?

Thanks for that tip, been trying to figure out what makes the missions rotate for a while. Had resigned myself to gifts or moderates every so often just to get new options...

Okay, I'm at 400 skill, got there before Nerf, but I'm still making 2500 thousand credits per hour, per crew member assigned to slicing. It's easy money still.

Can make more reselling other skills, but that might not stay, and it's a lot more work. I can open the game in the background at work and keep em slicing for an extra eight hours per day. Still Easy Money.

People are not just QQing about the slicing nerf, they are also QQing about the lackluster economy and how difficult it is to make money using the other crew skills. But the lackluster economy and the difficulty of other crew skills would have quickly been overcome had slicing not been nerfed. The rapid infusion of money into the economy would have led to normalization and slicing would have lost its relative potency while the rest of the economy would have thrived, crafters of all types would have been making tons . . . much more than slicers. But now we have a lackluster economy which is going to drag its feet and everyone is going to think its because the crew skills are underpowered.

That is what frustrates me about the anti-slicer crowd . . . they just don't see the big picture.

Okay, I'm at 400 skill, got there before Nerf, but I'm still making 2500 thousand credits per hour, per crew member assigned to slicing. It's easy money still.

Can make more reselling other skills, but that might not stay, and it's a lot more work. I can open the game in the background at work and keep em slicing for an extra eight hours per day. Still Easy Money.

Thank you, please keep slicing and selling your Augments and Missions on the GTN, and using all that extra cash to buy from others on the GTN. The economy thanks you. :)

Also your sig, was that Portal -> Dune -> SWTOR? Well played sir.

That is what frustrates me about the anti-slicer crowd . . . they just don't see the big picture.

We don't just see the big picture; we look outside the frame.

For instance, if the choice is between "empower crafts" and "have a broken, passive money-maker", we're willing to wait for the former.

We're particularly patient for this when being a self-sufficient crafter (i.e. the goal of many crafters) means you won't have direct, in-character access to the broken money-maker, (I'm not factoring in alts for various reasons that vary from person to person.)

But the anti-nerf crowd can't see outside the frame. They believe that nothing good could possibly come after the slicing fix. They believe that Bioware will break the money-maker and do nothing else.

Maybe Bioware will do just that; at which point, we'll agree that the system is broken.

But broken Slicing isn't the fix.

The fact that people are "quitting" before their first, included month is even over tells me alot about how long those people would last. It also tells Bioware alot, which is why they've dug their own graves on the issue.

Edited by BabelMatrix

People are not just QQing about the slicing nerf, they are also QQing about the lackluster economy and how difficult it is to make money using the other crew skills. But the lackluster economy and the difficulty of other crew skills would have quickly been overcome had slicing not been nerfed. The rapid infusion of money into the economy would have led to normalization and slicing would have lost its relative potency while the rest of the economy would have thrived, crafters of all types would have been making tons . . . much more than slicers. But now we have a lackluster economy which is going to drag its feet and everyone is going to think its because the crew skills are underpowered.

What do you really expect from the proletariat??

We don't just see the big picture; we look outside the frame.

For instance, if the choice is between "empower crafts" and "have a broken, passive money-maker", we're willing to wait for the former.

We're particularly patient for this when being a self-sufficient crafter (i.e. the goal of many crafters) means you won't have direct, in-character access to the broken money-maker, (I'm not factoring in alts for various reasons that vary from person to person.)

But the anti-nerf crowd can't see outside the frame. They believe that nothing good could possibly come after the slicing fix. They believe that Bioware will break the money-maker and do nothing else.

These issues you raise seem totally beside the point to me. You seem to believe that slicing, pre-nerf, was going to remain the money maker. That was just not going to happen, eventually slicing would be a very subpar money maker compared to the other crew skills just as it is now. The only difference is, we would have had money in the economy. Rather than waiting for slicing to naturally become impotent, the devs rushed the process, causing the economy as a whole to suffer.

The second thing you raise is the ideal of being self-sufficient. This kind of way of thinking is like putting money under your mattress to keep it safe, meanwhile inflation is eating away at it. It is an illusion. You are never self-sufficient in an economy. You can make all of your own stuff, out of materials that you yourself harvested, but in the end all of those things have value in relation to the rest of the economy, and therefore it is inconsequential whether you made them or bought them from another player.

Furthermore, the idea that the other crew skills are any less passive than slicing is silly, all you do is click a few buttons, no difference. The only difference is that the other crew skills make money through trade, which destroys money (i.e., de-prints it) rather than by printing it. But without printing, coming from somewhere, trade doesn't work.

Finally, the idea that printing money is an evil is ridiculous given that the game is just as regularly destroying money. Every time anyone makes a trade, money is destroyed. Ideally you want the amount of money being destroyed more or less equal to the amount being printed . . . but, only after you have enough money in the economy for it to thrive. And, that would have happened naturally, without government (devs) intervention, had things been allowed to play out.

Edited by Jjix

These issues you raise seem totally beside the point to me. You seem to believe that slicing, pre-nerf, was going to remain the money maker. That was just not going to happen, eventually slicing would be a very subpar money maker compared to the other crew skills just as it is now. The only difference is, we would have had money in the economy. Rather than waiting for slicing to naturally become impotent, the devs rushed the process, causing the economy as a whole to suffer.

The second thing you raise is the ideal of being self-sufficient. This kind of way of thinking is like putting money under your mattress to keep it safe, meanwhile inflation is eating away at it. It is an illusion. You are never self-sufficient in an economy. You can make all of your own stuff, out of materials that you yourself harvested, but in the end all of those things have value in relation to the rest of the economy, and therefore it is inconsequential whether you made them or bought them from another player.

Furthermore, the idea that the other crew skills are any less passive than slicing is silly, all you do is click a few buttons, no difference. The only difference is that the other crew skills make money through trade, which destroys money (i.e., de-prints it) rather than by printing it. But without printing, coming from somewhere, trade doesn't work.

Finally, the idea that printing money is an evil is ridiculous given that the game is just as regularly destroying money. Every time anyone makes a trade, money is destroyed. Ideally you want the amount of money being destroyed more or less equal to the amount being printed . . . but, only after you have enough money in the economy for it to thrive. And, that would have happened naturally, without government (devs) intervention, had things been allowed to play out.

Good to see im not the only one that figured this out, been saying it for days now