All Hail the New Era: Goodbye NJO

Beniboybling

This discussion arose from another about the EU, but I was curious as what the general reaction would be. What would you say if Disney erased the NJO era, by labelling it as non-canon (but left the New Republic era alone) and replaced it with the new trilogy as well as brand new EU comics, novels etcera? Would you be happy to see it go? Or are there parts of the NJO that you see too important to lose?

And what would you say to the current NJO era becoming an alternate, non-canon universe? (like Star Wars: Infinities) Personally I think this is the best way forward for Disney and Lucasfilm, thoughts?

Sounds to me they got a writer that knows about the EU, and havbe a very good taste in movies :)

http://www.vulture.com/2012/11/star-wars-episode-vii-may-have-found-its-writer.html

Since winning the Oscar for Sunshine, Arndt has lectured extensively on the art of storytelling at numerous writers’ retreats, like the Hawaii Writers Conference in Maui and the Austin Film Festival, always featuring a lengthy and detailed explanation of why the original Star Wars’ ending is so creatively satisfying.

At these talks, Arndt always tells attendees that Star Wars’ enduring appeal has to do with resolving its protagonists goals’ nearly simultaneously, at the climax of the movie. In the comments section of a discussion about a Star Wars talk Arndt gave at the Austin Film Festival in 2010, one attendee of the seminar notes, "Arndt stated that if a writer could resolve the story's arcs (internal, external, philosophical) immediately after the Moment of Despair at the climax, he or she would deliver the Insanely Great Ending and put the audience in a euphoric state. The faster it could happen, the better. By [Arndt’s] reckoning, George Lucas hit those three marks at the climax of Star Wars within a space of 22 seconds."

Indeed, in the third act of Star Wars, as Arndt explained to his young screenwriting Padawans at the 2009 Hawaii Writers Conference, its central characters' main goals all are met on pages 89 through 91 of the original Lucas script: At the crescendo of Star Wars, a spectral Obi Wan urges, “Use the Force, Luke,” and he does, thus reaching his inner goal (fighting self-doubt to become a hero). Han Solo reappears (meeting the philosophical goal of overcoming selfishness with altruism) to shoot down Darth Vader, which allows Luke to use the Force to mentally guide his shot and blow up the Death Star (outer goal and inner goals simultaneously met).

So while it remains to be seen whether Arndt will forge ahead with an entire script for Episode VII, clearly, as Vader might say, “The Force is strong with this one.”

Personally, I'm happy that the NJO won't be considered canon anymore. With the exception of the Dark Tide Duology (I love me some Shedao Shai) and the Anakin Solo centric Edge of Victory, the rest wasn't that great. I could certainly do without Balance Point and Jacen's whining. But as a whole, the series just wasn't that great.

Sounds to me they got a writer that knows about the EU, and havbe a very good taste in movies :)

http://www.vulture.com/2012/11/star-wars-episode-vii-may-have-found-its-writer.html

Very interesting info, an expert on Star Wars as a writer is just what these new films need.

P.S. This is all just speculation guys, what I posted here isn't going to happen - i just see it as the best course of action and am interested to see what people's reaction would be.

I would be ecstatic. What I've read of post-RotJ was terribly painful, shallow, uninteresting, and made Star Wars as a whole an unpleasant experience for me. Knowing that it's not canon brings me great comfort, and I hope they drive that last nail in the coffin.

When droids use the Force, Palpatine becomes the product of a clown-car evil-dude generator, and the Force is akin to Dragonball Z's powers, nothing has meaning anymore.

If they kept Kyle, I would be just fine with it. Personally I don't like the NJO, there are some good ones but it was dominated by the Yuuzhan Vong trilogy, and those were just complete crap (most of them anyways)

I hate to even admit it, but the Yuuzhan Vong was more than just a trilogy, it was the whole NJO. Though I agree with someone's statement about Ben Skywalker, I don't want him retconned out of existance.

I hope everything after ROTJ is disregarded.

The movies were mythical fantasy and mythology with science fiction veneer. The EU is mostly just science fiction that makes me feel like I'm watching Star Gate with Star Wars characters and outfits.

I hope the new movies are mythological sagas, with the focus on destiny and archetypal good vs evil and the exploration of the grey between those two.

I hope there are echos of the Ghosts of Mortis Clone Wars story arc as well.

I don't like the possibility that they are making Ben Skywalker noncanon potentially... He was born in the NJO era.

Mmmmm... this is one good aspect of NJO. But then again, they wouldn't get rid of it completely, but maybe rework some of the good bits into the film. So Ben Skywalker could be the focus, but with a new story.

Having read every Star Wars book I admit there were stories in the EU that were kinda weak. The problem of making the NJO non-canon is it not only affects that series but also all the books/comics that follow. Writing in the Star Wars universe is a thankless job. You can never satisfy everyone. People need to just accept it the way it is and stop trying to mold it to their own ideas. Were the Vong a bit of a stretch? Yea, but that doesnt mean the whole series (not trilogy) was garbage. As with most of the EU there are highs and lows. That Black Fleet Crisis had some strange things too. Nobody ever complained. How about Truce at Bakura? Entechment, really? Still it was a good book. Instead of complaining about what should be canon and what shouldn't just be thankfull we have a star wars universe, AND now Lucas can't go around changing the movies every other week.

Having read every Star Wars book I admit there were stories in the EU that were kinda weak. The problem of making the NJO non-canon is it not only affects that series but also all the books/comics that follow. Writing in the Star Wars universe is a thankless job. You can never satisfy everyone. People need to just accept it the way it is and stop trying to mold it to their own ideas. Were the Vong a bit of a stretch? Yea, but that doesnt mean the whole series (not trilogy) was garbage. As with most of the EU there are highs and lows. That Black Fleet Crisis had some strange things too. Nobody ever complained. How about Truce at Bakura? Entechment, really? Still it was a good book. Instead of complaining about what should be canon and what shouldn't just be thankfull we have a star wars universe, AND now Lucas can't go around changing the movies every other week.

You know that George Lucas told the writers of NJO about how the Vong was gonna be ? so canon they are indeed.

• 4 weeks later...
I hope everything after ROTJ is disregarded.

The movies were mythical fantasy and mythology with science fiction veneer. The EU is mostly just science fiction that makes me feel like I'm watching Star Gate with Star Wars characters and outfits.

I hope the new movies are mythological sagas, with the focus on destiny and archetypal good vs evil and the exploration of the grey between those two.

I hope there are echos of the Ghosts of Mortis Clone Wars story arc as well.

Umm, that's EXACTLY where the novels are right now. The past 9 book cycle was exactly what you are looking for and the next main novel in the timeline is called Crucible and is looking for the Mortis/Crucible world from the Clone Wars tv show.

Anyway, I happen to enjoy NJO. I personally hope that Disney doesn't overwrite it.

There's no need to, and in fact it would be quite odd if they did. The timeline of the novels has progressed 44 years after the Battle of Yavin. The actors have aged about 35 years since that time. So, that's nearly perfect for the amount you would want them to age on screen, given that Star Wars humans especially Jedi have slightly longer lifespans.

There's no need to, and in fact it would be quite odd if they did. The timeline of the novels has progressed 44 years after the Battle of Yavin. The actors have aged about 35 years since that time. So, that's nearly perfect for the amount you would want them to age on screen, given that Star Wars humans especially Jedi have slightly longer lifespans.

If hey dont do it it would be the biggest *** moment for all who doesnt know the NJO novels ... The Rebels win, but no Republic? Who is that girl? what is a Voong? ....

they cant continu the EU, there happend to much for ppl who dont read the books.