KOTOR/SWTOR Continuation Problem

mcglynn

So in Knights of the Old Republic's first zone, The Endar Spire, you have to espace down to Taris while it is under attack from the sith. After you leave, you see a cutscene in which the Endar Spire explodes seconds after you eject. So then why is the Spire an area in Swtor, looking pretty well off given the situtation it would be in. Edited by mcglynn

So in Knights of the Old Republic's first zone, The Endar Spire, you have to espace down to Taris while it is under attack from the sith. After you leave, you see a cutscene in which the Endar Spire explodes seconds after you eject. So then why is the Spire an area in Swtor, looking pretty well off given the situtation it would be in.

This is 300 years later. They've probably built an entire new ship with the same name several times, or are you talking about that wreckage in tarris? I can tell you from watching ship decoms in the Navy that blowing up a ship isn't a clean or total thing even with the best torpedos or missiles. Entire sections of the ship are left to sink afterwards largely untouched; I don't imagine ti would be much different for a space ship.

Um, when something explodes, it doesn't disintegrate. We just imagine it does. For example, the destruction of the Death Star over Endor has one situation that they did not address. Quadrillions of tons of debris will be raining down on Endor for months. Destroying vast tracts of forest and probably leaving the whole moon uninhabitable. So yea, a large section of the Endar Spire would be perfectly acceptable to have crashed on the planet.

This is 300 years later. They've probably built an entire new ship with the same name several times, or are you talking about that wreckage in tarris? I can tell you from watching ship decoms in the Navy that blowing up a ship isn't a clean or total thing even with the best torpedos or missiles. Entire sections of the ship are left to sink afterwards largely untouched; I don't imagine ti would be much different for a space ship.

Okay, thats all I was wondering.

Um, when something explodes, it doesn't disintegrate. We just imagine it does. For example, the destruction of the Death Star over Endor has one situation that they did not address. Quadrillions of tons of debris will be raining down on Endor for months. Destroying vast tracts of forest and probably leaving the whole moon uninhabitable. So yea, a large section of the Endar Spire would be perfectly acceptable to have crashed on the planet.

Not to mention there were still people living on that planet who might have tried to fix things , maybe lived there ...............its limitless to what could have happened in 300 years.

Edited by mefit

Indeed. ^

I still don't understand "There was a big explosion...nothing should be left!!!!!!" arguement some people make.

Hell in SWG in connection to the Death Star I's destruction, there are huge, destroyed, burned down sections of forest with debris. Especially around the Sith Temple.

Also, Swtor claims that Taris was destroyed hours after Revan arrived there. However in Kotor, after you crash land, Carth tells you that you've been slipping in and out of consciousness for days. Perhaps he was referring to time you spent on the ship, but I didn't get that vibe. There are also quite a bit of quests on Taris. Seems like a little to much for a few hours. Edited by Anonemous

Also, Swtor claims that Taris was destroyed hours after Revan arrived there. However in Kotor, after you crash land, Carth tells you that you've been slipping in and out of consciousness for days. Perhaps he was referring to time you spent on the ship, but I didn't get that vibe. There are also quite a bit of quests on Taris. Seems like a little to much for a few hours.

you also spent the night with one of the swoop gangs waiting for the race to start.

Indeed. ^

I still don't understand "There was a big explosion...nothing should be left!!!!!!" arguement some people make.

Hell in SWG in connection to the Death Star I's destruction, there are huge, destroyed, burned down sections of forest with debris. Especially around the Sith Temple.

Yeah I guess you have a point. I'm just saying it is pretty well intact for something that went through such a rough explosion.

maybe the person who told you the history was just wrong?

While that is an excuse (unless I read it in the Codex), It does seem a little odd Bioware can't get their own facts straight. I'm not trying to criticize, I love Bioware and this game. But its just odd.

So in Knights of the Old Republic's first zone, The Endar Spire, you have to espace down to Taris while it is under attack from the sith. After you leave, you see a cutscene in which the Endar Spire explodes seconds after you eject. So then why is the Spire an area in Swtor, looking pretty well off given the situtation it would be in.

Real life when you see a naval ship get hit by a missile you see a large explosion and a large part of the ship is destroyed however there are still large parts of the ship still around. The Endar Spire didn't vaporize it blew up so there are large parts of the ship around.

Note also that game is limited by the technology of the time. IE the Endar Spire is much bigger than what we got to explore in game.

Real life when you see a naval ship get hit by a missile you see a large explosion and a large part of the ship is destroyed however there are still large parts of the ship still around. The Endar Spire didn't vaporize it blew up so there are large parts of the ship around.

Note also that game is limited by the technology of the time. IE the Endar Spire is much bigger than what we got to explore in game.

Can you show a time when a missile makes such a big explosion that it's larger than the ship itself? Only nuclear missiles will make that big of explosions and can you link where a ship got hit with one of those and still had LARGE chunks left? Debris raining down sure. But still it has to survive entering an atmosphere which also takes chunks off. If that didn't happen, the Earth would have been gone a few MILLENIUMS back from asteroids being full size hitting it.

Problem with the Ender Spire explosion was the size of the explosion being bigger than the ship itself. What you are comparing is an explosion that takes out a deck or two of a larger vessel.

As for the tech, that's the Lucas excuse for crapping over the original trilogy. So not a good thing.

Edited by Jacen_Starsolo

Can you show a time when a missile makes such a big explosion that it's larger than the ship itself? Only nuclear missiles will make that big of explosions and can you link where a ship got hit with one of those and still had LARGE chunks left? Debris raining down sure. But still it has to survive entering an atmosphere which also takes chunks off. If that didn't happen, the Earth would have been gone a few MILLENIUMS back from asteroids being full size hitting it.

Errr... I'm sorry but the size of the explosion is not a good way to measure the utility of a projectile. A tank, for example, uses armour penetrating rounds when dealing with other armoured targets. These don't make big explosions (unless they hit something inside the target), because the point is to direct the energy inwards to crack the integrity of the target. A tank will switch to an explosive rounds (HE) if it is trying to set a target on fire, like a building on an encampment. If fired at a tank that will make a bigger explosion but will be far less useful than an AP round.

Problem with the Ender Spire explosion was the size of the explosion being bigger than the ship itself. What you are comparing is an explosion that takes out a deck or two of a larger vessel.

Did the explosion come from INSIDE the Ender Spire, or did it explode OUTSIDE of the Ender Spire. If it is the later, that is completely consistent with what happened to the ship in the TOR. A round detonated after hitting the armour (not penetrating it), and the majority of the energy of the explosion is directed away from the hull.

Happens all the time in armoured combat. Look up Skagerrakschlacht on wikipedia.

As for the tech, that's the Lucas excuse for crapping over the original trilogy. So not a good thing.

You know this technology doesn't exist, right? Star Wars has always been fairy make believe set in space. You can't really compare it to the classical science fiction of Heinlein and Clarke. Right from the beginning it makes no attempt to be plausible so relax.

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

Errr... I'm sorry but the size of the explosion is not a good way to measure the utility of a projectile. A tank, for example, uses armour penetrating rounds when dealing with other armoured targets. These don't make big explosions (unless they hit something inside the target). A tank will switch to an explosive rounds (HE) if it is trying to set a target on fire, like a building on an encampment.

The explosion coming from INSIDE the Ender Spire, or did something explode OUTSIDE of the Ender Spire. If it is the later, that is completely consistent with what happened to the ship in the TOR.

You know this technology doesn't exist, right? Star Wars has always been fairy make believe set in space. You can't really compare it to the classical science fiction of Heinlein and Clarke. Right from the beginning it makes no attempt to be plausible so relax.

- Arcada

After all that typing, size matters. The person I replied to used a missile hitting a battleship example. And I asked for how that relates. Missiles hitting ships leaving chunks intact NEVER have explosions larger than the ship itself. Can you provide ONE example -- just ONE -- where that happened? A missile hitting a ship, causing an explosion LARGER than the ship, and the ship still having large portions intact?

Now you say a tank. Okay, show explosion LARGER than the tank itself and still a large chunk of the tank being intact. We will dismiss the entry into an atmosphere for a second and come back to that once you show it.

BTW, explosion came from within the Spire FYI.

Edited by Jacen_Starsolo

After all that typing, size matters. The person I replied to used a missile hitting a battleship example. And I asked for how that relates. Missiles hitting ships leaving chunks intact NEVER have explosions larger than the ship itself. Can you provide ONE example -- just ONE -- where that happened? A missile hitting a ship, causing an explosion LARGER than the ship, and the ship still having large portions intact?

Warning, I don't enter into debates with either malice and uniformed positions Just getting that out there if you are having an urge to become insulting, it generally doesn't pan out well for the person.

Now, an explosion larger than the size of a ship.

This is a picture of a direct hit on the Bismarck shortly before it sank, May 27, 1941. I'd note that they've never been able to confirm the "killing blow" and the Germans survivors still claim they scuttled the ship. Additionally, the ship was not even blown into "pieces".

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/docroot/dulcinea/fd_images/news/on-this-day/May/British-Royal-Navy-Sinks-German-Battleship-Bismarck/news/0/image.jpg

Okay, here is an even better one. The Yamato sank after some eleven torpedoes and six bombs struck the ship. While it was sinking, one of the magazines on this ship exploded creating the tremendous explosion pictured here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Yamato_battleship_explosion.jpg

Now, did the ship vanish? Did it disintegrate upon it's descent to the sea bottom? No, actually a bow section comprising the front two thirds of the ship was recovered, and a stern section were located in the 1980s.

You seem a tad bit too preoccupied with fireworks and not the actual fatal mechanics of armoured warfare.

Now you say a tank. Okay, show explosion LARGER than the tank itself and still a large chunk of the tank being intact. We will dismiss the entry into an atmosphere for a second and come back to that once you show it.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39243000/jpg/_39243378_aaaexplosionap203cred.jpg

Explosion larger than the tank itself and there will definitely be recognizable parts left afterwards. It's perfect because you can see the direction of the explosion (upwards and outwards) is leaving the aft and bow unmolested. They'll still be there after the fire dies down.

BTW, explosion came from within the Spire FYI.

Haven't seen the video for quite some time. If it is from inside it is possible that "parts" of it survived but in no way shape or form should they be "together" on the ground of the planet. They should be wrecked burnt out hulks at the very least.

- Arcada

You feel insulted when someone asks you to provide factual backup to support what you say? REALLY? I find it insulting that you find it insulting. We can go all day.

Thanks for the Bismark pic but I still see a HUGE part of the ship not in the explosion. The Ender Spire's explosion there was NO part of the ship still seen in the blast. The explosion encompassed the entire ship and then some. I would say the ship was less than half the size of the explosion. Find a better comparison please. I'm begging you. After that, I stopped because you're still bring apples to compare to oranges.

And we still are ignoring the entering the atmosphere fry job that happens, huh?

Oh and Malak's bombardment of the surface as well didn't scratch it apparently.

Basically BW just retconned it. They did a Lucas type Han shot first retcon just to have it in the game. Ignore the science and fact that says it's impossible.

A better comparison would be if Lucas showed up the original Death Star had at least 1/4 of it still intact on a planet with an atmosphere. lol

Edited by Jacen_Starsolo