[Class Questions] Let's Start Fresh: 3 Questions to Devs RE: Powertechs

FeralPug

Hi folks,

My name is Jerc, and I'm your new class rep. I've played since beta, and have played a PT since pre-launch. My focus is PVP, but I fully recognize the importance of making sure the class fills a vital and fun role in PVE encounters. I do not think PVE folks are wimpy carebears.

That is a total lie.

Anywho!

I see the class representative more as a facilitator than anything else. Although I have my own opinions on what the class needs, I'm going to try (as best as I can!) to have you guys speak through me.

We are being asked to formulate 3 questions to the developers. Unfortunately, the mirrors of each class are going to have to coordinate questions as the devs are not recognizing each mirror as a separate community. We will have to collaborate with them, and I'll be contacting their rep this week.

So I see two options on how to proceed:

1. We do the obvious thing and formulate a question for each tree: Shield, AP and Pyro. The one thing to be aware of is that the devs aren't actually asking for "feedback". They're asking for questions. I think if we spin our wheels and simply make suggestions for each spec, we'll be disappointed in the outcome.

For example, I'm concerned that if our "question" for the AP tree is "Flame Thrower is dodgy and unusable in endgame PVP. What are you doing to fix it?", they will respond by saying, "No, it's not. Working as intended. Thanks for the question."

2. We ask meta-questions that force the devs to look at the data they collect for each class, and address how our class is fitting within the larger game, and whether this is on-target or not. For example: we could use the raw data from a thread like the cross-server PVP records thread that is collating numbers from all servers and ask why PT dps highs are in the 1400's while other classes are enjoying mid 2k's.

Another question I would ask is: "what are the compositions of the top rated ranked teams, and why are PT's so underrepresented? What are you plans to address the viability of PT's in the elder game?"

Or we could do a mix of 1 and 2. A lot will depend on the Vanguard community, and their rep. It will also depend on you guys. I'm here just to represent you, and will bend to the will of the larger PT community on whatever we decide.

So let's start this whole process with the following request from me:

You are king for a day. What are your three questions for the devs? Remember, these aren't suggestions! These are questions. What do you want to know from the developers about the Powertech class?

Please keep the questions short, and to the point!

Edited by FeralPug

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great opening post FeralPug!

I think one question that should be asked is in regards to the entire PT/VG class in general is:

Powertechs/Vanguards have had their abilities tinkered with since launch. At the start, a full Pyro build was considered a "ranged" hybrid, with core abilities (i.e. Rail Shot, TD, IM) that worked at 30m. After 1.4, that was reduced to 10m (minus Rail Shot which stayed at 30m). What do you as developers see as the role for Powertechs/Vanguards? Are we intended to be a hybrid ranged/melee DPS like at the start, or are we intended to always be a melee class? If we are intended to be a melee class, why do we lack some form of a gap closer for PVE players (since grappling an Ops boss is a very bad idea)?

If you wanted to pull data FeralPug, you could always pull the top DPSer's from TorParse. That could line us up for something like this:

When you examine the damage charts for HM/NiM TFB/SV, Powertechs and Vangaurds are not well represented. Those that are end up running a hybrid spec, utilizing PFT and PPA. Do your metrics support this hybrid build out-matching our full tree builds of AP and Pyro?

I'm not expert on PVP, but I like the idea of talking to the top ranked teams on all the servers, finding out their rosters, and seeing how well PT's/VG's are represented (roles should be specified as well, since we can tank).

Edited by ScytheEleven

Alright, I have a whole bunch of possible questions. Please, see them as an offer of a wide choice which I'm sure could be extended. I start with the most general questions and try to become more and more concrete.

1) What is the task of a Pyrotech Powertech in Operations and (ranked) warzones? How is he supposed to work in these situations?

2) What is the task of an AP Powertech in Operations and (ranked) warzones? How is he supposed to work in these situations?

3) The dps-trees of Powertechs appear to have had more reworking than many other trees. Are you currently considering further 'big' reworking on these trees or are we approaching the way how you want them to be?

4) The additional skills in Pyrotech (TD and IM) have barely no synergy with the other skills in the tree? Are you happy with this design and why/why not?

5) Shieldtech Powertechs have many abilities that trigger when an attack is shielded. Therefore, stacking defense as a Shieldtech Powertech works against your own tree, since it reduces the chance of attacks being shielded. On the other hand, theory crafters suggest to stack a quite high amount of defense to maximize mean mitigation. So defense is fighting against the mechanics of the tree.

Do you intend to change this conflict between the tree mechanics and defense and in what way?

6) On the forums one often hears that 'Powertechs are currently the worst tanks'. The reason that usually follows goes about like this: 'Whatever a Powertech tank can do, another tanking class can do it better.' How do you see Powertech tanks compared to the other two tanking classes (in both PvP and PvE)? Are you happy with it and why/why not?

As I said, these are just suggestions about which topics we might like to hear something about from the combat team. Personally I don't think that we should grant every tree one question, because we might want to ask questions which don't concern only one tree or might be interesting for both PvPers and PvEers (see the first two questions).

If I have to restrict myself to three of the questions I wrote above, I would pick 1), 2) and 6) .

Thanks for your efforts FeralPug.

Edited by Mathemagica

Your thoughts on simple vs meta-questions mirror my own. I think meta-based questions have a lot more potential to get some meaningful answers beyond 'working as intended.'

The dps numbers are defintely an area I would like to see addressed. I'm coming at this from a pve perspective, but the dps that gets put out is an issue in both pvp and pve.

The most (pve) viable ptech builds give up the top tier talents in both specs to take prototype flamethrower and prototype particle accelerator. This is largely due (IMO) to upper-tier pyro being barren of useful talents for pyro, and high energy cylinder being boring for AP (making it more attractive for ap to make use of cgc and ppa). Are there any plans to make full pyro and full ap more attractive for DPS?

I would like to see one question similar to the above, one focused on PvP (maybe survivability in anything other than full AP which has no burst?), and one focused on tanking which would benefit PvP and PvE tanks. I'll leave the exact formatting to people more versed in those roles.

Personally im not as concerned about a gap closer in pve. The only fight that has been at all problematic for me has been dread guard, and that one only really for ciphas charging during flamethrower, which is overcome by not casting flamethrower while he is about to charge.

The most (pve) viable ptech builds give up the top tier talents in both specs to take prototype flamethrower and prototype particle accelerator. This is largely due (IMO) to upper-tier pyro being barren of useful talents for pyro, and high energy cylinder being boring for AP (making it more attractive for ap to make use of cgc and ppa). Are there any plans to make full pyro and full ap more attractive for DPS?

I would like to see one question similar to the above, one focused on PvP (maybe survivability in anything other than full AP which has no burst?), and one focused on tanking which would benefit PvP and PvE tanks. I'll leave the exact formatting to people more versed in those roles.

Personally im not as concerned about a gap closer in pve. The only fight that has been at all problematic for me has been dread guard, and that one only really for ciphas charging during flamethrower, which is overcome by not casting flamethrower while he is about to charge.

While I agree with you that the lack of a gap closer is not a game-changer for PVE, it does seem odd to not have one when the class is built around melee range. Before 1.4, Pyro DPSers in PVE were a ranged/melee hybrid. Post 1.4, they are pure melee. My question is "which one were they intended to be in the Dev's eyes? If they are intended to be a true melee class, why are we lacking a gap closer?". It just seems like an oversight to me.

AP question: Why are the cooldowns so long on the two hardest hitting attacks (rail shot and immolate) and why do they do so little damage? AP is a DPS spec, and it should be able to hit for over 6K regularly. It doesn't.

Pyro question: This spec has no defensive cooldown, because you stole rebounder and have it to AP. Fair enough, can you please make automated defenses heal 1% of health when a DOT tick crits like other DOT classes? If not, then can you include a different skill in the spec to avoid or mitigate damage?

While I agree with you that the lack of a gap closer is not a game-changer for PVE, it does seem odd to not have one when the class is built around melee range. Before 1.4, Pyro DPSers in PVE were ranged/melee hybrid. Post 1.4, they are pure melee. My question is "which one were they intended to be in the Dev's eyes? If they are intended to be a true melee class, why are we lacking a gap closer?". It just seems like an oversight to me.

Most movement is short term and predictable. Use rail shot and rapid/explosive dart w/ overrides. Rapid shots w/cgc is one of the best spam able on the run abilities (less so since the nerf to cgc admittedly).

I certainly wouldn't complain with making charge baseline and putting grapple in the tank tree, but I can live without it. Ijust tthink focusing on full tree effectiveness, survivability (especially pyro), and maybe tanking cool downs would be a better use of our questions.

If we want to continue discussing, let's make a new thread and keep this one clean for the questions.

Okay I feel a little out of my depth on this one as I am not an elder game player or focus specifically on min/maxing certain builds, but feeling out of my depth has never stopped me before ;)

On a whole I tend to level through the various classes (having completed all 8 unique classes) and my questions fall into this level, sorry if they are a little low brow or without the focus on end game balance :)

Okay this applies to all Troopers and Bounty Hunters so may be a bit too generic, but...

1) The Class Buff

Why only a +5% endurance buff?

Something that will only ever come into play if you go as low as about 4% of your health (I haven't done the exact math but I know it is not a direct translation from Endurance to Health), the chances are if you hit this low you are dead anyways.

All the other classes have buffs that come into effect straight away. +5% critical from the Agent/Smuggler, the +5% Bonus Damage/Heal of the Warrior/Knight and then the +5% Main Stat and +10% internal/elemental damage resistance of the Inquisitor/Consular.

Now don't get me wrong 5% extra Endurance is better than a kick in the teeth it's just not something I've ever thought helped me or a group survive an encounter, be it PvP or PvE.

Do they have any concrete stats of how often health falls into this buff zone and prevents death?

FeralPug raises a good point with the way that the questions should be phrased. I'll give it a try.

DPS side: Since powertechs are a short range/melee class, what would you folks say are the strengths/weaknesses of the class in a competitive pvp setting compared to similar classes (marauders, juggernauts, assassins, and operatives)? Do you folks currently believe that those strengths are sufficiently unique and potent to encourage teams to have a dps powertech in a ranked warzone over another melee dps? As for the weaknesses, what are the design decisions behind having these particular shortcommings and do you folks believe that they are not too detrimental to overall gameplay of the class?

I might post a tanking question, but I am much less familiar with PT tanking in endgame warzones. Though I do like Mathemagica's post on question #6 for tanks.

Edited by af_raptura

Congratulations for Jerc on becoming the class representative. I do have more than 3 questions so you pick the ones yous see as most valid.

Question 1, Pyro dps potential PvE wise:

Full pyro dps is generally not the way to go for good PvE dps. For example, all top PT/Vanguad dpsers out here http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=664980 are hybrids. Also, the top dpsers in PT/Vanguard on most boss fights on TOR are hybrids. Full pyro falls around 300 dps behind and PTs in general are behind 200-300 dps on average from top parsers. The question is, considering that pyro adds no utility to group, nor has good defensive capabilities (not that they matter much in raiding), why is full pyro far behind hybrids, AP and most classes considering that damage is all what the tree offers?

Question 2, Pyro dps potential PvP wise:

This builds on the question above. Beside loss on sustained damage, there was a large nerf in burst, that probably moved PT burst damage from top position to 7th or 8th among all classes. Combined with even weaker defensive capabilities than per-expansion, pyro PT performance is one of the worst in dps class trees. A former glass cannon is now a glass bow. Should not the class damage output be balanced with the class ability to mitigate damage and/or utility offered?

Question 3, Pyro IM:

Mentioned so many times. It does quiet reasonable damage, but costs a high amount of resource. Shouldn't this skill be close in resource cost to PT to affliction for sorc considering it does around the damage and for the most part does the same thing.

Question 4, Pyro Resource Management:

While is not an issue in PvP, in PvE you are at the mercy of PPA proc so much, that if you don't get it often you either overheat or lose a lot of damage potential. Are there any plans to make the resource management more consistent?

Question 5, AP Performance in PvP:

AP has reasonable survivablity, but most atks deal below 5K, when they critic. The class can't put much pressure on most targets to pose a threat. Any possibility to make the class have more burst?

Question 6, Shield Tech:

As mentioned before, while reasonable in all aspects, does not excel in any. Are there any plan to create a niche were shield tech can have lead (stronger taunts or guard, etc..).

Question 7, how does BW envision the class:

In the good old days, the class had 30m range on most atks, which later was nerfed to 10m but burst was buffed slightly, which transformed the class into glass cannon. With expansion, the class was granted more mobility (which was not really needed) while damage potential, wither sustained or burst was significantly nerfed. The class currently plays like a melee class, without the defensive capabilities to mitigate damage or the damage output to have an impact. The tank is second rated for the most part. Where does BW see the class excel and what is their vision for the class future?

Edited by Ottoattack

My question would be to ask BW what role Pyrotech PTs are supposed to serve? If Pyro is a dot-based spec, why nerf our main dot's dmg by 50%? If Pyro is a burst spec, why nerf the burst on Railshot and TD dramatically? And since we're mostly melee, why do we have so few defensive CDs relative to other melee classes?

For shield tech I would like to know if we could get a OS cd like jugs reflect or shadows resilience, I get a painful reminder of our lack of one when I get killed by HM Xeno's thermal tolerance at 11k a tick and that with reactive shield active, meanwhile the guardian and shadow tanks in my guild just lol at it their respective CDs, it would also be a huge boon in PvP as well.

Some very good ideas where proposed here. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=653356

This here addressed just about every possible complaint I have about the class.

Damn well done sir!

Congratulations for Jerc on becoming the class representative. I do have more than 3 questions so you pick the ones yous see as most valid.

Question 1, Pyro dps potential PvE wise:

Full pyro dps is generally not the way to go for good PvE dps. For example, all top PT/Vanguad dpsers out here http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=664980 are hybrids. Also, the top dpsers in PT/Vanguard on most boss fights on TOR are hybrids. Full pyro falls around 300 dps behind and PTs in general are behind 200-300 dps on average from top parsers. The question is, considering that pyro adds no utility to group, nor has good defensive capabilities (not that they matter much in raiding), why is full pyro far behind hybrids, AP and most classes considering that damage is all what the tree offers?

Question 2, Pyro dps potential PvP wise:

This builds on the question above. Beside loss on sustained damage, there was a large nerf in burst, that probably moved PT burst damage from top position to 7th or 8th among all classes. Combined with even weaker defensive capabilities than per-expansion, pyro PT performance is one of the worst in dps class trees. A former glass cannon is now a glass bow. Should not the class damage output be balanced with the class ability to mitigate damage and/or utility offered?

Question 3, Pyro IM:

Mentioned so many times. It does quiet reasonable damage, but costs a high amount of resource. Shouldn't this skill be close in resource cost to PT to affliction for sorc considering it does around the damage and for the most part does the same thing.

Question 4, Pyro Resource Management:

While is not an issue in PvP, in PvE you are at the mercy of PPA proc so much, that if you don't get it often you either overheat or lose a lot of damage potential. Are there any plans to make the resource management more consistent?

Question 5, AP Performance in PvP:

AP has reasonable survivablity, but most atks deal below 5K, when they critic. The class can't put much pressure on most targets to pose a threat. Any possibility to make the class have more burst?

Question 6, Shield Tech:

As mentioned before, while reasonable in all aspects, does not excel in any. Are there any plan to create a niche were shield tech can have lead (stronger taunts or guard, etc..).

In the good old days, the class had 30m range on most atks, which later was nerfed to 10m but burst was buffed slightly, which transformed the class into glass cannon. With expansion, the class was granted more mobility (which was not really needed) while damage potential, wither sustained or burst was significantly nerfed. The class currently plays like a melee class, without the defensive capabilities to mitigate damage or the damage output to have an impact. The tank is second rated for the most part. Where does BW see the class excel and what is their vision for the class future?

I like the first few questions, but I think Pyro's big concern is the end tier talents being unappealing and not worth investment. Why put a point in TD when Retractable Blade costs 9 less than IM and does nearly a thousand more damage in a shorter time frame, in addition to making everything else you do 3% stronger? The bottom half of each DPS tree has more synergy with each other than their respective full tree and they support different cylinders, that alone shows how messed up the dps for PT is.

My simple question is, Are they going to make end tier talents more appealing and synergize properly with the tree so pure builds are able to out perform the 2/22/22 hybrid, or are they going to nerf hybrid without buffing the top end and thus pushing the DPS of pure PT builds even further in the trash?

Congratz Jerc and good luck, I`m hoping we`ll get some better days again

I think the same way also rework or get ride off , seriously i`m very curious what are their thought process behind the following:

1)Degauss(seriously anybody insane on wasting points in this in any scenario? and its pretty much TOP TIER garbage!! We already got hydrolic overrides

2)Automated defenses is incredibly bad, oh why thank you for keeping me in Execute range of all the real dps classes, great defensive ability, again top tier omg. This is supposed to be our only defensive ability in the tree it still does nothing if i`m not under 30% hp and if am under 30% it does not save me from anything

3)Volatile Igniter seriously why does this even exist what s the synergy with what? dot up to 5 ppl for what? some fluff dmg to see at the end a big dmg number but we didn`t actually kill or presure anybody and I`m already Flame bursting my single target so the CGC is already on the guy i`m trying to burn down

Edited by iDraxter

^^^^ I have to agree 100% with this post.

The top tree of pyro is so laughably bad, that taking tier one and two skills from the other two trees gives better DPS and survivability. The guy who designed this should be fired. Seriously, clean out your desk. You are a failure.

Pyro/assault and AP/tactics are so laughably bad, that hardly anyone plays vanguard. That class had problems electing a rep because most of the people nominated declined or dont play anymore. If you read the VG responses to Musco, nearly all of them are hostile.

This is what happens when you jack up a class, and leave it in ruin for over six months. Idiots. Why do we still play? Bioware is lucky that Disney hasn't come out with any new Star Wars games outside of Club Penguin.

(Critical rating)

1. One concern we have is that critical rating, an important stat for classes without auto-crits, is not balanced with other stats. Most end game players seem to be gearing for power and surge. Is there any chance critical rating will receive a formula adjustment? Can you give us an idea of the breakdown of Conqueror enhancements that have been purchased since 2.0 and what secondary stats players are favoring?

(Ranked representation)

2. One concern we have. is how desirable we are to ranked teams. Are Powertechs underrepresented than other advanced classes in ranked pvp, what is the average # of PTs per ranked match compared to other ACs?

(Defensive)

3. Lastly, we are concerned defensive cooldowns we have don't compare to other classes, especially melee. Kolto overload doesn't scale well in situations where we take huge damage. The Pyro shield ability isn't threatening enough to deter players from attacking us. In addition, having high armor doesn't feel like much of an advantage, with so many skills bypassing armor. What do Powertechs have to look forward to in terms of our defensive options?

My strategy is to state our concern, then explain some of the reasons why, and then ask our question. I want to focus specific things, but regarding that specific option, give them enough insight to be able to give us a good answer. I think we need to target underlying issues of why we are broken, and I think these 3 are the most important.

Also, I want to help establish that we are a weak class right now and need help. Is there anyone here that thinks we aren't near the very bottom?

Edited by Rylorn

My three suggestions to the questions (stripped from earlier thread),

1) Philosophy :

Ok, what are the power tech, are we a melee? are we ranged? are we medium ranged dps?

Our abilities gives a mixed impression, some are 30m, some are 10m some are 4m. Prior to 2.0 I'd put us in the melee to medium ranged dps, now I don't know. What pulled me to the class originally was to be able to dish out damage from both melee and ranged. If we're supposed to stay in range to deal good damage, give us a gap closer (no, hydraulic override or grapple don't cut it).

Either give us the capability to close the gap or give us the damage potential from range, having to navigate running through the red circles in phase three of dread guards nightmare mode really states that we don't know what we are.

2) Damage strategy:

The damage strategy of the two core specs isn't really clear nor effective (I won't touch hybrids as those are clearly meant as a flavor or personal preference, and not a design goal of the class). The DPS output of any spec in comparison to other classes in PVE and PVP environments has been mentioned numerous times so that wont be mentioned further in this post.

The AP is highly depending on close range and a static channel of the FT, sure, you can pull good numbers if the encounter has adds or on an unexperienced PVP crowed but where the damage counts it's not really ideal. Bosses move, people move. Not to mention the fact where AOE damage is not always working (Operator on cores) or is counter productive (Dread Guards). It's nothing wrong with a spec based around the flame thrower ability, it's an awesome looking ability and really bounty hunter stylish, but make it useful on single targets. A move while casting has been suggested and is a good one.

Pyro has been transformed into a semi dot spec without any punch.

The problem with dot specs is that you can't make the dots powerful enough without any added complexity, then it becomes a face roll spec. This is what happened to the pyro. Prior to 2.0 overheating was the only real challenge of the spec, put up two dots and rail shot.

Post 2.0 the main damage comes from dots and the difficulty has some what been increased as it moved from two to three dots to keep up, but the damage potential was lost in the process.

So, what is the damage strategy for the power tech and it's specs, as of now, neither are very effective in a competitive PVE or PVP environment.

3) Role:

The role of the class in any given spec is defined by it's abilities (again coming from a DPS perspective), is it:

- Glass cannon (high burst damage / low survivability)?

- Sustained damage (high damage up time (usually dots) / medium survivability?

- Survivor (medium damage through any means / high survivability)?

Ideally all of the three above should be possible by picking different skills or trees, but neither are as of today. The burst (glass cannon) was lost with the rail shot nerf. The sustained damage of pyro dps is not compensated with enough survivability and we have not the possibility to dps spec into a survivor mode (effective cool downs comes to mind).

1. Defense Cooldowns: all PT spec's lack the CD's of the other AC spec's! How is this balanced currently & what is in the future for PT's in respect to defensive CD's?

2. Burst: Both of the DPS spec's have terrible Burst Dmg! Why is this? How is the lack of burst balanced to compare PT's to the other classes? (Utility? Survivability? Sustained Dmg?)

3. DPS Melee or Not?: Without a gap closer (30% speed boost in combat vs Leap or Roll) & mixed melee range attacks (4-10 meters) the class is nerfed compared to the other dmg classes. What is the reasoning behind this decision?

Edited by Blitz-wing

Okay I feel a little out of my depth on this one as I am not an elder game player or focus specifically on min/maxing certain builds, but feeling out of my depth has never stopped me before ;)

On a whole I tend to level through the various classes (having completed all 8 unique classes) and my questions fall into this level, sorry if they are a little low brow or without the focus on end game balance :)

Okay this applies to all Troopers and Bounty Hunters so may be a bit too generic, but...

1) The Class Buff

Why only a +5% endurance buff?

Something that will only ever come into play if you go as low as about 4% of your health (I haven't done the exact math but I know it is not a direct translation from Endurance to Health), the chances are if you hit this low you are dead anyways.

All the other classes have buffs that come into effect straight away. +5% critical from the Agent/Smuggler, the +5% Bonus Damage/Heal of the Warrior/Knight and then the +5% Main Stat and +10% internal/elemental damage resistance of the Inquisitor/Consular.

Now don't get me wrong 5% extra Endurance is better than a kick in the teeth it's just not something I've ever thought helped me or a group survive an encounter, be it PvP or PvE.

Do they have any concrete stats of how often health falls into this buff zone and prevents death?

Going WAY OFF TOPIC here, and I apologize for that, but I believe you have misunderstood what the 5% Endurance buff actually does.

It basically increases your Endurance by 5% AT ALL TIMES.

Every 1 point of Endurance gives you 10 points of health. So if you have 1000 Endurance without the buff you have 10000 health. With the buff you will have 1050 Endurance and have 10500 health. If you have 3000 Endurance without the buff (30000 health), you will have 3150 Endurance with the buff giving you 31500 health.

As such it is equivalent to the other class buffs that also increase something by 5%.

It is a good buff. :)

1. Can we have our armor pen back?

2. Can you give us 25% more dmg on our CGC dot?

3. Can you revert TD back to its original state?

Tanking... I've done it since Launch on a PT(I also play juggy and sin) I honestly don't believe their are any issues here. Sure another CD to cheese mechanics like the other 2 tanks have would be fun. However I don't feel its needed. Geared properly we still take the smoothest incoming DMG. Maybe one thing would allow a skill in the tanking tree for Shield tech to allow grapple not to be effected by resolve for a PvP perspective.

Dps... I had the highest recorded PT/Vg parse pre 2.0(I took a few months off when 2.0 launched), since returning I have not tinkered with either DPS tree(prob will never touch AP to be honest) But I believe if they did the 3 things I've stated above It'd make it viable for a full pyro build for PvP.

People wanting more DcD's and survivability... I don't believe its needed if our burst is returned. We were the ideal glass cannon.

People wanting to know what kind of role we play... i.e. ranged/melee/mid-ranged .... we are and always were a melee first class, in both the Shield Tech and Pyro tree, in order to maximize your potential you ALWAYS had to be in melee range to get the most out of the class by utilizing RP(I have no idea about AP but i'm pretty sure gut is key and requires you to be in melee) We are givin the ability to float away and kite at upto 10m but always have to be able to dip into 4 meters for rp.

Lastly heat cost on IM is fine when it is if played correctly. Its not an ability to spam just cause you can. In Pyro pve setting worked perfectly into the rotation. PvP its very situational, really only need it to burn tanks/healers... good healers will cleanse it, you cut your losses and don't spam it back on or you overheat.

Edited by wetslampigduex

Hey Jerc! You were my inspiration to roll a PT back on Ebon Hawk, after you would single-handedly stomp our team/our enemies with ease. I've always valued your help when giving pointers.

Regardless, I feel as though the PT struggles. I enjoy a challenge, but it feels like it's the ONLY class I can't exceed at.

1. Back in 1.7, and even PTS of 2.0, PTs relied 100% on their burst damage, having little survivability, even less so than the Sorc post 2.0. We were the REAL glass cannon, compared to the tanky Marauders. Now that we lost our burst, we're pretty much Bantha Fodder. What are we expecting to see in the future to bolster the Powertech's offensive or defensive tools to allow them to be viable, and deadly, in Ranked and High Level Operations?

2. Post 1.4, we were a ranged/melee DPS class, which allowed us to rip enemies apart wherever they felt least comfortable. (Kiting Melee and Gluing to Ranged) Will we see any updates to allow the Powertech to be a mid ranged class? Or will it continue to be Melee?

3. DPS Powertechs are lacking in overall damage. High crits are rare, and our DoTs don't synergize with Pyrotech. AP has more damage and survivability, but still lacks in the former. Could a passive ability be added to increase the damage of Rocket Punch (Gained at level 10) to give the Powertechs a hard hitter? (I'm talking 8000 damage at level 55) This would allow us to be on tier with other classes hard hitters, and allow us to grab that 6k medal each match, instead of popping CDs, and trying to grab a 6k crit on railshot on that undergeared Sorc.