Sentinel and marauder balance

Anosa

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've got way too much defensive cooldowns imo

The biggest issue for me is their ability to jump targets. If the player tosses out abilities to control their distance or to get them off the player, they still get jumped 2 seconds later.

as a player who plays mainly meele on my sin who doesnt owns a gap closer except force speed i gues i have little problems with ranged opponents. Altough on my jugg and mara i rlly need the gap closer and btw you cant jump behind **** and cover so im fine with that aspect. They should nerd or remove undying rage or force camoeflage.

Sentinels/Marauders get entirely embarrassed by Scoundrels, but finding a reliable scrapper to tear through them is pretty tough after all the nerfs to my class :(. With the amount of survivability that they have (30% aoe mitigation, Rebuke, Saber Ward, Force Camo, Guarded by the Force, Pacify, and Awe) they really do seem to have more survivability than tanks, while having some of the strongest output in the game.

The ability that makes marauders overpowered virtually to almost every other class is actually "Obfuscation or Pacify."

What this talent does is lowers the targets ranged and melee attack accuracy by 90%.

In the beta marauders did not have cloak of pain. They were designed around the concept of mitigating damage by preventing the enemy from having an opportunity to damage them. Obfuscation was clunky ability and extremely difficult to use. This meant that marauders could only really depend on camo, saberward and undying rage as a means of mitigating damage. Marauders complained bitterly that the class was too squishy, and rightfully so. It WAS squishy in the beta! Bioware responded by giving the class cloak of pain. Several patches after launch Bioware also addressed the clunky nature of obfuscation allowing it to be applied instantly and not respect the global cooldown. This gave the marauder a significant edge over almost every other class.

In a 1v1 situation there is really only 1 class capable of beating down a marauder. That is a good scrapper scoundrel.

The reason is that a scoundrel can kite, combat exit, has a ****** opener, can easily strip away cloak of pain and does not have to deal with saberwards -50% defelection or obfuscation -90% accuracy debuff.

Snipers, Combust powertechs, marauders, juggernaughts and deception sins are heavily dependent on ranged / melee attacks.

A sins burst for instance is entirely maul. Maul is an expensive ability but it hits hard. This is why the class is given force regen for 6 seconds out of stealth. It''s designed to open up and set the pace of the fight by bursting down the opponents health. You can't do this vs a good marauder. All they have to do is obfuscate and your entire opening burst is gone. I have a big problem with this because a deception sins job is to burst down weakly guarded nodes and take them. Marauders are not tanks. They have no business of being able to mitigate the opening burst of a class with 1 ability.

When vs combust spec powertechs all they have to do is obfuscate when set on fire and the powertech loses the ability to railshot the target for 6 seconds.

When vsing jugs obfuscate grants them 4 free global. It works absolute wonders when you obfuscate their ravage and then ravage straight back.

Snipers probably have it the worst as they are very heavily ranged attack dependent. Obfuscation grants 4 free globals.

Edited by JackNader

The ability that makes marauders overpowered virtually to almost every other class is actually "Obfuscation or Pacify."

What this talent does is lowers the targets ranged and melee attack accuracy by 90%.

In the beta marauders did not have cloak of pain. They were designed around the concept of mitigating damage by preventing the enemy from having an opportunity to damage them. Obfuscation was clunky ability and extremely difficult to use. This meant that marauders could only really depend on camo, saberward and undying rage as a means of mitigating damage. Marauders complained bitterly that the class was too squishy, and rightfully so. It WAS squishy in the beta! Bioware responded by giving the class cloak of pain. Several patches after launch Bioware also addressed the clunky nature of obfuscation allowing it to be applied instantly and not respect the global cooldown. This gave the marauder a significant edge over almost every other class.

In a 1v1 situation there is really only 1 class capable of beating down a marauder. That is a good scrapper scoundrel.

The reason is that a scoundrel can kite, combat exit, has a ****** opener, can easily strip away cloak of pain and does not have to deal with saberwards -50% defelection or obfuscation -90% accuracy debuff.

Snipers, Combust powertechs, marauders, juggernaughts and deception sins are heavily dependent on ranged / melee attacks.

A sins burst for instance is entirely maul. Maul is an expensive ability but it hits hard. This is why the class is given force regen for 6 seconds out of stealth. It''s designed to open up and set the pace of the fight by bursting down the opponents health. You can't do this vs a good marauder. All they have to do is obfuscate and your entire opening burst is gone. I have a big problem with this because a deception sins job is to burst down weakly guarded nodes and take them. Marauders are not tanks. They have no business of being able to mitigate the opening burst of a class with 1 ability.

When vs combust spec powertechs all they have to do is obfuscate when set on fire and the powertech loses the ability to railshot the target for 6 seconds.

When vsing jugs obfuscate grants them 4 free global. It works absolute wonders when you obfuscate their ravage and then ravage straight back.

Snipers probably have it the worst as they are very heavily ranged attack dependent. Obfuscation grants 4 free globals.

shhh let the forum qqers believe that GBTF/UR is our "OP" defensive cooldown pls. Shame that half the fotm rerollers seem to waste it on sorcs.

Edited by AngusFTW

I've seen soo many of the "best" marauders throw obfuscate out like it's candy :p For starters, it never needs to be popped on a scoundrel, but i've actually lol'd in /say when they continually pop it while i'm heal spec :) I'd have to say that Guarded is a bit more OP atm just because a whole lot of players don't understand when to use the 90% reduction or when to expect pure melee/ranged moves based on the AC they're fighting.

Though Rebuke/Cloak of Pain is my #1 "I hate this cooldown" pick for Sents/Marauders

Edited by Carter_Mathis

Marauder wouldn't be so imbalanced if they toned down carnage's burst. Also improving the defenses of DPS Sorc/Sage Merc/Commando and the sustained of DPS operatives/scoundrel.

The burst in general of this game is just too high for "sustained" damage classes to even compete and marauders currently are better defensively than tanks in pvp, which is generally considered a problem although marauders can at least be kited 1v1.

<< The ability that makes marauders overpowered virtually to almost every other class is actually "Obfuscation or Pacify." >>

Yay! Someone finally complained about pacify! Now the circle is complete.

what the hell? It will not do crap against Force and Tech DPS Specs.

There are 3 pure tech/force specs in this game.

Sorcs -> no threat to a marauder in any spec. They do not have the sustained damage output to compete and marauders have significantly stronger overall defenses.

Concealment Operative -> Has the capacity to pwn a marauder because half of the marauders defensive cooldowns are worthless vs them. The marauder will be stun locked for the bulk of the fight.

Advanced prototype powertechs -> They can kite for 8 seconds but they need to do significant damage in that period. If they haven't done enough damage then they will be destroyed quickly by any marauder. Marauders cloak of pain and saberwards -25% tech DR pushes the fight in their favor.

All other classes and specs rely heavily on melee / ranged attacks either for burst or for sustained damage.

If you take obfuscation out of the picture.

Combust spec powertechs -> Marauder is forced to use saberward to mitigate some of the railshots. Must camo and leg slash to prevent kiting. Overall the fight would be fairly even.

Darkness, Deception and madness sins -> Fight goes in favor of the Deception sin because their opening burst can no longer be mitigated. Assassinate phase can no longer be mitigated. Madness tree fights would be a lot closer. Darkness would either be a close fight or the balance would be in favor of the tank assassin if in pure dps gear.

Snipers -> gain an advantage over marauders who would now be forced to use predation and saberward as a means of mitigating the snipers damage. Assassinate phase can no longer be mitigated by a single cast.

DPS Jugs -> Can no longer mitigate their ravage and melee attacks with a single cast. Assassinate phase can no longer be mitigated with a single cast. The fight would be much more even.

Mercs -> would still be rolled because any marauder spec can shut them down without the need of cooldowns.

Edited by JackNader

Marauder wouldn't be so imbalanced if they toned down carnage's burst. Also improving the defenses of DPS Sorc/Sage Merc/Commando and the sustained of DPS operatives/scoundrel.

Carnage's burst is not overpowered because its the most easily countered burst in the game, all you have to do is stun, thats why its so powerful you'd have to be an idiot to eat a whole gore buffed ravage unless the idiots on your team give him full resolve and he decides it your lucky day...

Edited by AngusFTW

It's not that simple angus. Marauders have too many cooldowns where you must stun them.

Undying rage -> Must stun them

Obfuscation -> must use tech and force attacks or stun

Cloak of pain -> must kite for 6 seconds.. screwed if you've dotted them before they cast it.

Ravage -> must have access to a stun, knockback or a good deflection.

No other class has to be babied like marauders need too. If you don't bring your A game they will tear you to shred and even if you do bring your A game it's no easy matter to break them down. Personally I just want to see them eat more of other classes burst damage.

Carnage's burst is not overpowered because its the most easily countered burst in the game, all you have to do is stun, thats why its so powerful you'd have to be an idiot to eat a whole gore buffed ravage unless the idiots on your team give him full resolve and he decides it your lucky day...

In case you didn't notice, everyone's burst is screwed up from stuns. This is no unique feature of the marauder and ravage can simply hit way too hard, especially for a move that roots you down as well.

The biggest issue for me is their ability to jump targets. If the player tosses out abilities to control their distance or to get them off the player, they still get jumped 2 seconds later.

that could be said for the bouty hunter and sorcs drag

to all who think marauders and sentinels are fine:

how do you explain the over representation of the class ? it's just the style right ?

i see a lot of them say their class is perfectly fine... i have to really disagree with this when i have seen pvp match after match of sentinel and marauder team mowing through people. If you stack any other classes like them the team will fail.

i see a lot of them say their class is perfectly fine... i have to really disagree with this when i have seen pvp match after match of sentinel and marauder team mowing through people. If you stack any other classes like them the team will fail.

Yeah stacking a team of powertechs would fail, same with snipers, operatives, assassins, need I continue? :rolleyes: The class is fine as is. As someone said a darkness assassin (at least in dps gear) should not lose to a sentinel. As far as operatives/snipers, I've never really had an issue with them on my sent, but plenty of them claim to be able to kill us as well so you can probably add them to the list as well.Truth is any dps class if stacked can devastate in warzones. It isn't just marauders. People tend to do it with marauders because everyone wants to be lolsmash 1 button wonders.