Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

Shingara
04.04.2012 , 01:07 PM | #491
Quote: Originally Posted by madmikeyb View Post
they already said in Q&A when asked about ships design if they would add ways to change your color or ships appearance. They said no that it wasnt designed for it. they cant do something simple as add skins to ships but people actually think they can add pvp or free roam space stuff come on..Look what happened with Illium can you honestly say they know how to make free roam or pvp space combat, with out making a mess out of it
Your missing a very big thing when you talk about this, they cannot do it to the on rails system. And they held there hands up to illum and redoing it which i havnt seen another mmo develpoer do that really, they normaly say we are just developing it further into its evolution.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

Farmbuyer
04.04.2012 , 01:10 PM | #492
I find the current space combat to be more fun than most of the planetary quests.

Certainly far few bugs and crashes and lockups, graphics-wise.

If they fixed the interface for proton torps, that'd be all I really want out of space combat until the rest of the game got unbuggered.

shepardcomander
04.04.2012 , 04:07 PM | #493
Was happy to see 3D Space battles as an option in a developer request for feedback poll. Then I realized a couple of things about what that implied:

1 - If they are just now considering 3d space combat along with other features then they haven't yet started developement nor even nailed down a decision to develope it.

2 - if they are just now asking for feedback regarding features like 3D space combat then they have indeed completely ignored/not read any of the feedback given on the subject to date.

Shingara
04.05.2012 , 12:09 AM | #494
Quote: Originally Posted by shepardcomander View Post
Was happy to see 3D Space battles as an option in a developer request for feedback poll. Then I realized a couple of things about what that implied:

1 - If they are just now considering 3d space combat along with other features then they haven't yet started developement nor even nailed down a decision to develope it.

2 - if they are just now asking for feedback regarding features like 3D space combat then they have indeed completely ignored/not read any of the feedback given on the subject to date.
actualy if you have a 3d monitor or one of the nvidia series 3d then swtor plays in 3d right now, i play space in 3d on my synchmaster, it cost a fortune but its worth every penny.

But if they are asking for feedback on it then that shows that have listened and read previous posts and are just wanting the feedback in one consolidated thread.

But hey if people really want todo space to the extreme you could always try to hook it upto this beast.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FX-Simulat...item416469b104

Edit, are people actualy saying space 3d in what bioware are asking as free flight space and not actual 3d ?
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

Trenter
04.05.2012 , 03:15 AM | #495

There really is no pleasing you fellas... And that I assume is why you've never had, or I'm guessing never will have, any dev correspondece in this thread.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

Lord_Ravenhurst
04.05.2012 , 03:35 AM | #496
Donīt forget how many spaceship models are already present in the game. If you check out the space missions or the taxi between the fleet ships - the mechanics and ship models are there!

What needs to be added is giving control over the ships, sure a lot of work, but they definitely do not need to "start from scratch".

So what is missing:

- Cockpits and actual ship mechanics (e.g. joystick control, transferring shield energy to lasers, autopilot, targeting systems, weapons systems, mining lasers, docking bays for transporting resources...)

- Space sectors, navpoints to travel to and the server architecture behind, because this needs to be cross-server/shard server system to feel like a populated universe like EvE/Jump to Lightspeed

- Make orbital stations able to dock, make it possible to approach planets and enter atmosphere and land (Battlefront 2 / JTL style)

MISSIONS: Single player and PvP

Iīd say, if they find a way to "import" mission mechanics from X-Wing, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance and start from there, this could be a huge time saver. Donīt know if that is technically possible but programmers always find a way to solve problems.

dazednconfuzed
04.05.2012 , 06:28 AM | #497
Wow... A dev poll that actually includes 'Ful 3D space combat' as one of the options... go and vote people

Linky

And what a surprise, 3D space combat has already taken the lead.
Jedi Master Kai'sinn. Not only evil hides in the shadows.
Jedi Master Tzathali. Korriban/Tython Exchange Program.
Major Dulne. Nothing will stop Havoc Squad, Sir.

Tripplebypass
04.05.2012 , 09:43 AM | #498
I had to say something about this topic.
Ill be cancelling sub after this post because of the lack of free roaming space combat, on top of alot of other things.
I will still keep my hopes up to see the implementation of it in the game at a later stage but I will not be paying for a game I think is so so and its one of the most frustrating things to see something you like being handled in the most crappiest ways.I made it to page 37 of this thread tonight so I havnt read the last few pages , so has a Dev actually replied to anything on here yet?
It seems like they dont want to answer the question because of one of two things .1 alot of people may leave if theres no plans for free roaming space combat 2. they actually have it in the works as a secret project .
Either way the handling of this needs to be done soon before more people get up and leave
Well anyways keep pushing for it and maybe theyll listen to us.

Goretzu
04.05.2012 , 09:54 AM | #499

I think you're looking at it as an mini-expansion release at best, so a long way off, probably 2013+.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

shepardcomander
04.05.2012 , 04:15 PM | #500
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
I think you're looking at it as an mini-expansion release at best, so a long way off, probably 2013+.
As much as BiowEAr loves to have DLC's ready at release, you'd think even they couldn't have screwed this up, yet they managed to anyway.