High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

I really hope we get an answer sometime today is already monday and a 110+ page thread is very HARD to miss. I mean has there ever been a more massive qq than what we got going here? And please do not be mistaken this is justified and valid qq over a real issue.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, looks like he ran out of troll juice.

So I wonder if someone who works at BW is reading this. If they are, then they ought to consider how much better it is for their bottom line to communicate over being silent.

Nope, judging from my inbox, he's busy reporting people who replied to him.

Edited by Zorvan

Does that really matter though? They are aware of it. The fact they removed it in patch 1.1 shows that. It might have been removed so that it does not make people think it works.

AA was not working for a long time either and that is coming back in patch 1.1. Seriously, they do not need to talk about everything. Just have faith it gets fixed, it might just take a while. Besides I would say High textures is currently one of the last things that need fixing.

Faith doesn't get issues fixed, making threads and asking until we get answers does.

I really hope we get an answer sometime today is already monday and a 110+ page thread is very HARD to miss. I mean has there ever been a more massive qq than what we got going here? And please do not be mistaken this is justified and valid qq over a real issue.

To me this is more important then any bug fix. It is certainly more important then being able to emote on a speeder.

Number 2 fix would be the green walls and lines from those towers.

Wait some of you are getting high resolution textures for your companion preview window? when you ctrl click on on your character sheet?

Because when i ctrl click its low resolution textures and super blurry to the max. and i have everything on high.

To me this is more important then any bug fix. It is certainly more important then being able to emote on a speeder.

Number 2 fix would be the green walls and lines from those towers.

It definitely more important than baby names added to credits.

To be honest, in general I'd rather companies just pick a standard and go with it. 90% of the time DX10/11 features are sort of tacked in a gimmicky fashion, on top of a DX9 engine, and it doesn't do anyone good. Most of the time the DX10 version is poorly optimized, looks a teeny bit better, and runs at half the speed.

There are definite exceptions though. DX:HR looked fabulous in DX11 and ran very well. The later STALKER games also did it well. But usually it's sort of a mess.

Witcher 2 did it right, they stuck with DX9, squeezed the best they could out of it, and optimized it as well as they could. And it looks amazing.

But now DX11 cards are fairly standard and have been for years. Maybe it is time to switch the focus. Unfortunately the XBOX is a DX9 platform so we're stuck as long as people make multi-platform games (meaning, they want to make money).

World of Warcraft and just recently Star Trek Online have both added DirectX 11 support. DirectX 11 is actually used fairly often for performance gains. Some people can see a good 30%+ boost to framerates just by running in D3D11 mode. The API is overall more efficient, especially when used correctly. SWTOR would probably make excellent use of it, were it to be added. I wouldn't mind seeing the option in the future, although I'd understand if it wasn't one of their top priorities at the moment.

Honestly, the majority of consumers are either stuck in the stone age still using DX9 cards ( like the diehards who still think XP is a premium OS ) or have upgraded to more recent to DX11 cards. DX10 as a whole never really got that much of a foothold outside of the 8800/9000 series for Nvidia and whatever the equivelant cards were for AMD, and they probably wouldn't alienate very many leaving DX10 completely out of the equation since all DX10 cards still support DX9.

DirectX 11, minus some niche features, is backwards-compatible with shader model 4 hardware. Players with such graphics cards would see similar performance gains.

Edited by KodiackTech

Made a screenshot of the nvidia inspector graphs to show you the gpu usage during conversations, which clearly uses improved graphics. Straight away you will see that the usage ramps up to 99% during these conversations and evens out at 50-60% during freemode. but have a look for yourselves.

maybe this is the reason, it demands further tweaking til they put the HD Textures in...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/swtorgraphnvinsp.png/

SYS:

i7 2600k

Gigabyte GTX 580 SOC

Asus P8P67 Evo

16GB Corsair Vengeance

Corsair AX 850

Game:

Maxed

Vsync on

Edited by audiophiley

Wait some of you are getting high resolution textures for your companion preview window? when you ctrl click on on your character sheet?

Because when i ctrl click its low resolution textures and super blurry to the max. and i have everything on high.

I get high textures for companion preview but not for my own characters preview... :(

But I can live with the textures we have atm. I do not thing this issue as top priority myself. And most likely fixing this texture issue is rather big thing, otherwise it would've been done by now.