Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

When new games are released swtor populations drop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
When new games are released swtor populations drop

Rymdhamster
01.18.2019 , 07:13 AM | #11
Always a difficult balance. To some extent, competition is good. Means SWTOR has to keep producing new stuff to stay competative.

On the other hand, there is the inflation issue. To much new stuff (when that stuff isn't just new story, but bigger and better armor, weapons etc...) means the old stuff get worth less. Can be off putting for old timers who's put a lot of effort and possibly money into getting that old stuff.

And of course the whole swtor engine is getting older and older. Suits me fine as I have an old computer, but there will come a day when the whole engine will have to be replaced or no new player will touch it with a ten foot stick (unless they are into retro).

Sad to say, but I guess it is unavoidable that SWTOR will die one day.

But then again, so did Star Wars Galaxies, and we got SWTOR instead...

Best enjoy it now when it lasts, and it sounds like the 22nd to 24th febuary will be a perfect weekend for it. Maybe we'll get som peace and quiet for a couple of days

Syal
01.18.2019 , 07:42 AM | #12
maybe because a game who base its content on grind to keep sub is an economy model who doesn't work !
SWTOR since 2012 !
Guild Force Unifiée French PVE
The Leviathan

Sonicphoto
01.18.2019 , 09:39 AM | #13
I might try Anthem one day, just not at launch. Chances are I won’t stop TOR for it though. I actually stopped playing Destiny 2 after discovering TOR (yeah I know, very late lol). I only come back to Destiny 2 when a new story content drops, play it like 2 days and then im done. The only thing that can truly pull me is a new mass effect or dragon age for a while.

TUXs
01.18.2019 , 10:14 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by AscendingSky View Post
I don't think EA really has a plan either way. They've been kind of schizophrenic lately in terms of how they're handlng themselves and their business decisions. Take their recent cancelling of their big open world Star Wars game plans (that they cancelled Visceral's partially completed game for) in order to come out with a "smaller scale experience" (which is what Visceral was doing before EA killed the studio and all their projects):

https://kotaku.com/ea-cancels-open-w...ame-1831786371

Feels to me like the suits can't make up their mind on which way to 'pivot' their products and IPs and as a result are spinning around in circles. I doubt any of them have really prepared for what happens to SWTOR beyond Anthem's launch, regardless of whether it's a bang or a bust. SWTOR is basically ignored by them in general; they never even mention the game on their stockholder annual reports anymore.
Wouldn't it be interesting to see where SWTOR could be today had EA invested all those millions in cancelled Star Wars games into this game?! Even if this game had HALF that development money, where would SWTOR be today. Instead, we've just funded cancelled Star Wars games for 7 years now.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

casirabit
01.18.2019 , 10:41 AM | #15
I thought I be one that would have said I would never try another game, and I could have until recently. I tried wow and interesting enough I am enjoying it which I really didn't think I would since I am not really a pvp player not a raid player but I did notice that it doesn't matter when you are out killing things if someone else helps you because you all get credit for it. I thought that was different and makes you relax a bit.

I still play SWTOR but just not like I used to.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj

MandFlurry
01.18.2019 , 06:27 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by AscendingSky View Post
I don't think EA really has a plan either way. They've been kind of schizophrenic lately in terms of how they're handlng themselves and their business decisions. Take their recent cancelling of their big open world Star Wars game plans (that they cancelled Visceral's partially completed game for) in order to come out with a "smaller scale experience" (which is what Visceral was doing before EA killed the studio and all their projects):

https://kotaku.com/ea-cancels-open-w...ame-1831786371

Feels to me like the suits can't make up their mind on which way to 'pivot' their products and IPs and as a result are spinning around in circles. I doubt any of them have really prepared for what happens to SWTOR beyond Anthem's launch, regardless of whether it's a bang or a bust. SWTOR is basically ignored by them in general; they never even mention the game on their stockholder annual reports anymore.
Oh, the "so-called Big suits" can make up their minds, but they want to make more money, and use less resources, rather than making a good game, they believe that a said amount of time, should have a "said amount of development done". Facts are that games take time, up to 10 years of planning, when in fact most game publishers these days believe in 2 to 5 years with pre-production, writing, engine, etc. plus more years into engine and other game building components that will take a good 3 years with a good game.

EA and Activision, and now even Bathesda, have beenputting out bad quality games, in favor for just getting whatever you can for a quick buck, while also telling consumers that they are the village idiots sometimes.

The "Big Suits", also are making up to 48-50 million a year with also giving themselves a 20 million dollar on-board entry level bonus, if a "said person came from another well known studio".
Got CE on 7/20/11
Canderous Ordo ServerRegulator
Referral for Star Wars Goodness
http://www.swtor.com/r/hzQMWp

MandFlurry
01.18.2019 , 06:35 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Wouldn't it be interesting to see where SWTOR could be today had EA invested all those millions in cancelled Star Wars games into this game?! Even if this game had HALF that development money, where would SWTOR be today. Instead, we've just funded cancelled Star Wars games for 7 years now.
TUX, you and most other people know exactly what would have happened. We would have have a AAA MMO, with more work going into /bug fixes that we have had since beta and launch, more expansions with more content, etc, etc.
without so much care into a bloody Cartel market.

Also, we could have better Network/ client side/ server side problems actually being worked on and having buggy systems thrown out, and have better state of the art servers for APAC/ European and North America regions as well.
Got CE on 7/20/11
Canderous Ordo ServerRegulator
Referral for Star Wars Goodness
http://www.swtor.com/r/hzQMWp

ObsidianBones
01.18.2019 , 07:36 PM | #18
I won't be going to Anthem but I might go back to ESO or even Battlefront II for a while, depending on how the Anthem launch affects TOR. I've enjoyed SWTOR since I started playing in early 2015 (late comer, I know), but it's not the only game I play. I know most aren't thrilled with Elder Scrolls but I find that I'm liking ESO. As for Battlefront II, currently stuck on the TIE fighter platform on Endor but if I really feel like it, I can always YouTube the strategy I need.

Anyway, until I hear otherwise, I'll be sticking (mostly) with Star Wars as it's the first MMO that I've actually enjoyed (couldn't get into WoW or EverQuest). Hopefully, and this is probably just wishful thinking, if and when it does die, BW/EA/Disney might be smart enough to release what was put out on a DVD-ROM or permanent download that we could keep, but that would require a great deal of re-working, especially the OPS and FPS that require groups.

AlrikFassbauer
01.19.2019 , 06:48 AM | #19
I'm not an extrovert Action player, so I don't play games the mass likes anyway.

I've even reconnected myself to DDO not long ago - oh, how much I was longing for that non-action approach with lots of skill checks !

Action - just isn't for me. But again, I'm not at all like the mass is.
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

TrixxieTriss
01.19.2019 , 11:09 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
That is an excellent point. What is it, 3 Star Wars games canceled since swtor was released?