What stats for healing hard modes?

Yesterday I set foot in hard mode Esseles for the first time and my party (vanguard and two shadows, me healing as sage) got completely destroyed by the first boss. There was too much party damage from the endless adds for me to keep everyone up. I couldn't even make use of procced force regen because each gcd had to be dedicated to casting a heal. So I'm guessing it must have been my gear that was lacking but it's blue lvl 50 stuff with most other items being orange moddables in the 47-50 range. My Willpower is around 1030. Should I rework the mods in my gear and perhaps remove alacrity in favour of power/force power?

Or was the party composition at fault here? Any input would be welcome.

Actually I would not recommend Esseles as the first HC FP. We had some troubles too with that one. False Emporer was at least in my eyes, way easier. So you might want to try that instead.

As for gear, you can always grind some PvP to get just slightly worse gear for PvP. Mind you, PvP is way faster.

Sounds to me as tank/dps issues. First boss in Essels is an easy mode if:

Boss is facet away from the party.

Adds are dpsed ASAP.

And that's really all. There is no much damage on party. If this one was a trouble then the next one will be your worst *********** nightmare :-)

So, is there a difficulty ranking of hard modes somewhere?

This would be a wonderful list! :D or, at least, a suggessted starting point. I spent most of the game with my healing commando, brothers vanguard tank and knight dps trioing everything. Naturally, we got flattened by HM esseles, which we tried as soon as we got to 50. Best Ive done yet is ironfist 40%...

Still, I like the fact that the hardmodes are actually difficult. Wouldnt want to clear the game out too fast :)

You need rating 116 gear to start hard modes, you get them from whatever your level 50 planet is with commendations, or you can goto illum and just do dailies.

Your gear sucks, plain and simple.

We did hardmodes with people in L40-50 green gear, you really dont need anything close to rating 116 to complete these.

Needed Gear rating to start FPs? Oh! I have a great idea for an Add on.... somehow it should read out all the ratings of the gear, that person has and then give out the average amount.... I shall call it... hmmm... Gear Rating. so don't even think about showing up with a GR below 120, if you want to come along.

And we are right where we were with WoW and that even without a dungeon finder.

Yesterday I set foot in hard mode Esseles for the first time and my party (vanguard and two shadows, me healing as sage) got completely destroyed by the first boss. There was too much party damage from the endless adds for me to keep everyone up. I couldn't even make use of procced force regen because each gcd had to be dedicated to casting a heal. So I'm guessing it must have been my gear that was lacking but it's blue lvl 50 stuff with most other items being orange moddables in the 47-50 range. My Willpower is around 1030. Should I rework the mods in my gear and perhaps remove alacrity in favour of power/force power?

Or was the party composition at fault here? Any input would be welcome.

My question is what are you doing with Alacrity as a Sage? I have found it useless for Sage/Sorc with crit/surge being worlds more helpful considering the regen mechanic we have relying on crit. Stacking up haste will just burn through our force that much sooner. Though I don't like to rely on crit as a healer, the crits we do get help a great deal in pinch moments too (nothing like a 5k crit heal when you're tank is getting low).

Needed Gear rating to start FPs? Oh! I have a great idea for an Add on.... somehow it should read out all the ratings of the gear, that person has and then give out the average amount.... I shall call it... hmmm... Gear Rating. so don't even think about showing up with a GR below 120, if you want to come along.

And we are right where we were with WoW and that even without a dungeon finder.

Regardless of how everyone feels/felt about GearScore, there is *some* validity to the idea that a certain level of gear is needed to do hardmode instances.

My question is what are you doing with Alacrity as a Sage? I have found it useless for Sage/Sorc with crit/surge being worlds more helpful considering the regen mechanic we have relying on crit. Stacking up haste will just burn through our force that much sooner. Though I don't like to rely on crit as a healer, the crits we do get help a great deal in pinch moments too (nothing like a 5k crit heal when you're tank is getting low).

I haven't had issues with Alacrity causing me to use Force faster. In fact, it gets my heals "off" faster which gives me more breathing room. I tend to spend more time not casting because of the Alacrity. That said, I'll be looking for Crit/Surge to replace it when possible, but I'm not going to stick with lower gear just to cleave to this bizarre idea that having Alacrity will somehow force me to run out of Force.:rolleyes:

I haven't had issues with Alacrity causing me to use Force faster. In fact, it gets my heals "off" faster which gives me more breathing room. I tend to spend more time not casting because of the Alacrity. That said, I'll be looking for Crit/Surge to replace it when possible, but I'm not going to stick with lower gear just to cleave to this bizarre idea that having Alacrity will somehow force me to run out of Force.:rolleyes:

I'm not really sure about other healing classes. My problems with Alacrity are referring to Operative healing only, since we have one spell which is affected by it, two if you count Kolto Infusion. If it added HoT ticks or reduced the GCD on instant-cast spells, then it would be a *lot* more useful. As it stands, it's a subpar stat.

I'm not really sure about other healing classes. My problems with Alacrity are referring to Operative healing only, since we have one spell which is affected by it, two if you count Kolto Infusion. If it added HoT ticks or reduced the GCD on instant-cast spells, then it would be a *lot* more useful. As it stands, it's a subpar stat.

It's certainly not optimal. Though for a Consular it's considerably more effective. I haven't looked at how it interacts with our unchanneled HoT, but it affects four of our healing spells certainly (only three that get much consistent usage) which seems like a distinct advantage. That said, since through-put is really capped by GCDs and our casting regen model, it doesn't really cause a huge spike in through-put, it's more of an added margin of error. e.g. I can wait an extra second before choosing to cast Deliverance which may allow me to determine a different ability is more appropriate. That said, it's still sub-optimal because stats should be targeted toward maximum effectiveness, not maximum down-time.

It's just annoying because most crit mods came with alacrity on them. It felt hard to avoid it. But that's just me feeling self-conscious. :)

I ended up with gear containing alacrity mods because that's what these items had in them when they dropped and I never bothered to switch them out for something else. That's why I made this thread: to get some input about what stats I should be focusing on. I started doing the Ilum/Belsavis dailies and already replaced some of the mods with ones obtained from commendations. I realised that alacrity isn't doing much for me because it barely shaves off 0.1 second from the 1.5 second casts so I'll be trying to switch it out for power/crit/surge as soon as I can.

Stack as much crit as you can as a healer. Every crit on a heal grants at the minimum, 50% extra healing. With surge stacked as your second modifier, that number goes up.

And yes, crits do apply to HOTs, AOE's and channels. Nothing more amusing in PvP than using my Sages "healing trance", watching 4 ticks of 1.5k healing for a total of 6k, then following that up with a 4.5k 1.5 second Deliverance, my 2.5 shield then rinse and repeat.

Crit is the way to go. Alacrity gives too poor a return for the investment.

Also, check your rotations. In flashpoints, you should Shield the tank, hot the tank and then start your regular rotation, swapping targets but keeping the flow going.

Edited by Sylvan

That's pretty much my rotation: Force Armour, HoT, Deliverance, Healing Trance, HoT. But I'm wondering whether the bubble has any viability at all in hardmodes, especially on bosses that hit so hard that the bubble can't even absorb a single hit. Wouldn't the gcd be used better on just casting heals.

That's pretty much my rotation: Force Armour, HoT, Deliverance, Healing Trance, HoT. But I'm wondering whether the bubble has any viability at all in hardmodes, especially on bosses that hit so hard that the bubble can't even absorb a single hit. Wouldn't the gcd be used better on just casting heals.

Think of the bubble as a heal, and you'll see it's use. It's basically a 2.5k instant heal, effectively (if you talent for it). In flashpoints and PvP I can bubble an 8 man team in 12 seconds, and if the tank is taking serious damage it can give you 1.5 seconds to slap a channeled heal without them dropping.

It's probably one of the most powerful healing abilities we have.

Just for your rotation, I would throw in a HoT before healing trance, since it increases your crits greatly. I usually run like this:

As soon as the Tank starts getting hit:

HoT: He gets a small amount of HP back, his AC increases

Bubble: Well, he does not take damage

Healing Trance: About Four heals between 900 - 2000 HP each (depending on crits)

Noble Sacrifice: HEaling trance should have procced the free force regen.

From here on it is situational. Usually I continue, HoT, big heal, purge (if needed), whatever makes sense.

You've clearly never played a disc priest in wow. its an insta cast 2.5k preheal, talented it has no CD. Some times I only shield.

We did hardmodes with people in L40-50 green gear, you really dont need anything close to rating 116 to complete these.

Why are you lying, you arent beating any enrage timers in gear below 116, why do you think illum hands out those welfare 124 armoring/barrels with the dailies.