Sef’s Shield Tech PvP Tanking Guide

I have to ask and perhaps I am reading it wrong but the 2 points in coolant is supposed to heal us for 2% of our total health while above 35% while active. And maybe I cannot see but I don't see this happening. The only heals I see are when we drop below 35% with Kolto Overload.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to ask and perhaps I am reading it wrong but the 2 points in coolant is supposed to heal us for 2% of our total health while above 35% while active. And maybe I cannot see but I don't see this happening. The only heals I see are when we drop below 35% with Kolto Overload.

You have to drop below 35% then go back above 35% for coolant to work.

in other words when you get low, do Kolto overload > medpack

• 2 months later...

Apologies if I missed it, but where does expertise fit into the stat priority if going full tank spec for pvp?

I see "Stat Prioritization: Endurance>Shield>Absorption>Defense", but would Expertise outweigh Endurance point for point for survivability? Somewhere in the middle of the stack? Lower than defense?

My Q is in regards to survivability only, I realize expertise would also increase damage done to players and heals to players as well.

Apologies if I missed it, but where does expertise fit into the stat priority if going full tank spec for pvp?

I see "Stat Prioritization: Endurance>Shield>Absorption>Defense", but would Expertise outweigh Endurance point for point for survivability? Somewhere in the middle of the stack? Lower than defense?

My Q is in regards to survivability only, I realize expertise would also increase damage done to players and heals to players as well.

He is assuming that you know that max expertise is the only way to play Arena/WZ's. There is never a situation where you run less than max expertise when fully bolstered. Ever. His stat priority is for after max expertise.

Edited by Megatfx

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question, or rather something more general that I have been pondering now for some time.

I play PT more or less solely for PvP although I am not inexperienced as PVE tank (ie. shield tech). I play Pyro and AP and obviously occassionally AP in Ion cylinder for nabtanking. As PFT is going out the door, which in all fairness is probably not bad, I have been thinking about having separate gears and separate specs for when I want to DPS and tank.

As it is now I already roll eliminators for pyro and the standard rocket punch set for AP. I don't mind getting a third set.

However, what I really wonder is if going shield tech with full tank gear is really worth it in the end? Will I really be that more powerful? The dps without PFT will not be that awful as AP in Ion, and I get the lovely 30% stun damage redux.

Would you who are experienced with both say that there is a clear edge to ST over AP for tanking, or do you generally still end up playing AP/ion in arenas and WZ because going all tank is overkill?

Please share your thoughts and opinions. I do like the tank tree and I have nothing else to spend comms on anyway, but I'd like to hear some pros and cons and thoughts about it.

I have a question, or rather something more general that I have been pondering now for some time.

I play PT more or less solely for PvP although I am not inexperienced as PVE tank (ie. shield tech). I play Pyro and AP and obviously occassionally AP in Ion cylinder for nabtanking. As PFT is going out the door, which in all fairness is probably not bad, I have been thinking about having separate gears and separate specs for when I want to DPS and tank.

As it is now I already roll eliminators for pyro and the standard rocket punch set for AP. I don't mind getting a third set.

However, what I really wonder is if going shield tech with full tank gear is really worth it in the end? Will I really be that more powerful? The dps without PFT will not be that awful as AP in Ion, and I get the lovely 30% stun damage redux.

Would you who are experienced with both say that there is a clear edge to ST over AP for tanking, or do you generally still end up playing AP/ion in arenas and WZ because going all tank is overkill?

Please share your thoughts and opinions. I do like the tank tree and I have nothing else to spend comms on anyway, but I'd like to hear some pros and cons and thoughts about it.

It is a matter of opponents and team. If there is a healer maybe full AP with tank gear and ion have better luck against opponents like smashers and AP PTs and better dps. ST is overall better since it is by far superior in single target attacks and can survive peeling and knock backs that separate from healer.

Edited by Aetideus

• 4 weeks later...

Was out of the country for a couple months and just returned. Missed the start of Season One and am trying to catch up. In the Preseason, I did Dongcleave Tank, but I didn't consider that real Tanking. It's essentially just rolling DPS with a Guard.

Anyway, I've had to resort to Tanking on my VG mainly because there is a shortage of Tanks in my Guild for competitive PvP. I've tried full Shield with a similar gear loadout to what the OP listed, but found that spec to be pretty terrible.

Because Shield was so lackluster I started playing with specs and found myself drifting back to a Dong-style spec using Ion Cell. Perhaps I'm wrong, but in my experience playing with these specs, Tactics/AP just provides the best defensives like Power Armor, Reflexive Shield, and what I consider to be the best Tanking skill in any VG/PT Tree, Shock Absorbers.

As I drifted back to Tactics/AP, I also started questioning the value of singularly stacking Tanking secondary stats. Defense is straight up Garbage for the most part. Shield is meh. Absorb is nice, but you just don't seem to get the bang for your buck like you do with Power and Surge for instance. So I've been slowly peeling the Tanking secondary stats off my gear in favor of more DPS. My survivability doesn't seem to change that much, I still pull really strong Protection numbers, and I'm able to apply a lot more DPS pressure.

So my question is...is there anyone else that has noticed this? I talk to other VG/PT Tanks and nobody seems to go full Shield ever. However, there is mixed opinion on how to gear. The only thing everyone seems to agree on is that Endurance is a priority. Beyond that it's a free-for-all.

So I'm a bit lost on where to go from here. My inclination is to sort of just keep Donging it. By the way, I play both VG and PT, but right now my VG is my main.

Was out of the country for a couple months and just returned. Missed the start of Season One and am trying to catch up. In the Preseason, I did Dongcleave Tank, but I didn't consider that real Tanking. It's essentially just rolling DPS with a Guard.

Anyway, I've had to resort to Tanking on my VG mainly because there is a shortage of Tanks in my Guild for competitive PvP. I've tried full Shield with a similar gear loadout to what the OP listed, but found that spec to be pretty terrible.

Because Shield was so lackluster I started playing with specs and found myself drifting back to a Dong-style spec using Ion Cell. Perhaps I'm wrong, but in my experience playing with these specs, Tactics/AP just provides the best defensives like Power Armor, Reflexive Shield, and what I consider to be the best Tanking skill in any VG/PT Tree, Shock Absorbers.

As I drifted back to Tactics/AP, I also started questioning the value of singularly stacking Tanking secondary stats. Defense is straight up Garbage for the most part. Shield is meh. Absorb is nice, but you just don't seem to get the bang for your buck like you do with Power and Surge for instance. So I've been slowly peeling the Tanking secondary stats off my gear in favor of more DPS. My survivability doesn't seem to change that much, I still pull really strong Protection numbers, and I'm able to apply a lot more DPS pressure.

So my question is...is there anyone else that has noticed this? I talk to other VG/PT Tanks and nobody seems to go full Shield ever. However, there is mixed opinion on how to gear. The only thing everyone seems to agree on is that Endurance is a priority. Beyond that it's a free-for-all.

So I'm a bit lost on where to go from here. My inclination is to sort of just keep Donging it. By the way, I play both VG and PT, but right now my VG is my main.

Using the OP build I have managed good protection numbers. Different builds, hybrids and no, were tried with tank gear and fell back to the full ST. For Arenas and 8x8. It is situational though and the presence of smashers favoured hybrid tank AP.

It was not possible to pull high protection numbers with hybrid(s) and tank gear and in 2.7 smash absence and single target attacks make full ST one way imo.

Edited by Aetideus

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1. I want to keep this thread on the first page because it's a solid guide

2. I want to know if there is a consensus on going full tank gear with ST vs full tank gear and AP tree in WZ and RWZ.

Thanks in advance.

Tank gear with AP tree has no consensus. If used with shield, the dps is regrettable. If used with pg, sr is 20%+ and defense 7% rendering the gear useless.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just wanted to say thank you very much for this guide, it was very easy to understand!

To any other TROOPERS.. here is a quick Bounty Hunter -> Trooper Translation Guide.

Glad to see fellow PTs use my guide and improve their game. After a >1 year break i am back.

Anyway, i might not be able to update this guide since i am running Tactics most of the time now on my VG.

Edited by dijskykiller

• 8 months later...