PvE Guide to the Lethality Sniper by B'oard

paowee

Hey All,

I'm still getting used to everything with Snipers/Agents so I apologize if these are rookie questions. In regards to stats, are generally looking to get as much cunning (full cunning augments, etc), 100% Accuracy / 110% Tech Accuracy and try to avoid crit?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey All,

I'm still getting used to everything with Snipers/Agents so I apologize if these are rookie questions. In regards to stats, are generally looking to get as much cunning (full cunning augments, etc), 100% Accuracy / 110% Tech Accuracy and try to avoid crit?

150 crit is a good bet. If you want more you can go up to 200 which is what namesaretough is using/used. You can be a boss and go 0 crit for more bonus damage though (and a little bit less energy regen from dot crits).

150 crit is a good bet. If you want more you can go up to 200 which is what namesaretough is using/used. You can be a boss and go 0 crit for more bonus damage though (and a little bit less energy regen from dot crits).

Thank you for your quick response. Is the 2 set bonus from PVP/PVE still the best bet for more dps?

PDF for Lethality/Engineering rotations (Slinger)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9S6aucNXnGnUF9NaDAzVnY3ZVU/edit

Teminologies

• FS = SS
  • SC = IP
  • SB - VS = CG - CD
  • WS = Cull
  • SS = SoS
  • IM = TA
  • X = Fillers
  • XS = OS
  • SabC = EP
  • AA = auto-attack
  • SLCB = Lazed Snipe
  • AS = Ambush
  • QD = TD
  • HS = WB
  • WQ = Cull + TD
  • Contingency Charges = Cluster Bombs

PDF for Full Lethality/Dirty Fighting

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9S6aucNXnGnb1dldERSZ1hyYm8/edit

Edited by paowee

One thing that for me is not entirely clear from the hybrid chart:

When you note for certain abilities (Sabotage Charge and Quickdraw) in particular to keep them on cooldown, do you mean to use them whenever their cooldown is up, no matter where you are in the rotation, or merely to use them when deciding what to do in the 'X' spot?

One thing that for me is not entirely clear from the hybrid chart:

When you note for certain abilities (Sabotage Charge and Quickdraw) in particular to keep them on cooldown, do you mean to use them whenever their cooldown is up, no matter where you are in the rotation, or merely to use them when deciding what to do in the 'X' spot?

Yep! Some people just use SabC or QD whenever they come off cooldown.

You can use it on (X), before (SS) or anywhere you want.

Edited by paowee

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I'm starting to train a bit with my sniper, using lethality atm. One question, what about Takedown ? You don't even mention it on the first page ? Don't you use it at all ?

This guide was made pre-2.0, and hasn't been updated much for the full lethality part as it is not a viable spec for pve anymore,

Hi, I'm starting to train a bit with my sniper, using lethality atm. One question, what about Takedown ? You don't even mention it on the first page ? Don't you use it at all ?

This guide was written for the Lethality/Engineering hybrid, which doesn't have the takedown procs. If you're referring to 30%< hp takedown I'd say use it as a filler if you've got a lot of energy (like cull - sos takedown - cull). Might not be worth sacrificing EP or Lazed snipe for it though. Never seen any real numbers on what is most effective but I'd assume so.

This guide was made pre-2.0, and hasn't been updated much for the full lethality part as it is not a viable spec for pve anymore,

Well, it says "major update since 2.0" so I kind of assumed it was going to be udpated.

This guide was written for the Lethality/Engineering hybrid, which doesn't have the takedown procs. If you're referring to 30%< hp takedown I'd say use it as a filler if you've got a lot of energy (like cull - sos takedown - cull). Might not be worth sacrificing EP or Lazed snipe for it though. Never seen any real numbers on what is most effective but I'd assume so.

The proc makes so it resets Takedown cd and you are able to use on targets regardless of their health. As for the energy issue, that's why I'm keeping the "old" armorings for bonus set since they provide a significant reduction of Takedown's energy cost.

Currently, tooltip on my sniper shows:

Explosive probe: Energy 25, damage 4288-4395, 30 seconds cooldown

Lazed snipe: Energy 20, damage 3451-3639 (crit multiplier 67,40), 1 minute cooldown

Takedown: Energy 8, damage 4511-4757. Cooldown, well, pretty much everytime after a Cull. With both dots up, I don't remember ever not getting a proc for it.

If energy is an issue and I have to choose, I would skip EP and use Takedown if possible tbh

The guide was updated mainly for Lethality/Engineering Hybrid. The pre-1.7 work is still here and what i did was simply put 2.0 stuff on top of it. This may have caused some confusion. I will completely revamp slash update this thread to include only relevant 2.0+ information. Will work on it later tonight and will most likely add little extras like diagrams and pictures over the coming weeks. It should be completely reworked by tomorrow for

1) 2.0 Full Lethality and

2) 2.0 Lethality / Engineering Hybrid (Hybrid)

Note tho that BioWare IS aware of the DPS issues caused by the Hybrid build and they are actively looking to buff Full Lethality in the future so that it is more appealing to players. There is no time frame for this but my best guess would be in the next expansion is where we will see any significant Fulll Lethality changes. More info on this on the Stickied: Sniper - Top 3 Answers thread outside.

Edited by paowee

Well, it says "major update since 2.0" so I kind of assumed it was going to be udpated.

The proc makes so it resets Takedown cd and you are able to use on targets regardless of their health. As for the energy issue, that's why I'm keeping the "old" armorings for bonus set since they provide a significant reduction of Takedown's energy cost.

Lazed snipe: Energy 20, damage 3451-3639 (crit multiplier 67,40), 1 minute cooldown

Takedown: Energy 8, damage 4511-4757. Cooldown, well, pretty much everytime after a Cull. With both dots up, I don't remember ever not getting a proc for it.

If energy is an issue and I have to choose, I would skip EP and use Takedown if possible tbh

Sorry about any confusion, but I was talking about the lethality hybrid in that post, (and thought you did too). I won't go in to detail about full lethality but yeah, takedown all the time, and basically never EP since it's too costly without the energy refunds from cluster bombs in the engineering tree.

Edited by DoctorDragon

Sorry about any confusion, but I was talking about the lethality hybrid in that post, (and thought you did too). I won't go in to detail about full lethality but yeah, takedown all the time, and basically never EP since it's too costly without the energy refunds from cluster bombs in the engineering tree.

Wouldn't say never EP, but rather treat it like in MM and use it if you have the energy or with TA/AP. granted flyby will still be better then EP in most regards

Edited by CJNJ

Wouldn't say never EP, but rather treat it like in MM and use it if you have the energy or with TA/AP. granted flyby will still be better then EP in most regards

Indeed, that was bad phrasing on my side. I have to agree with you, when I've been testing full leth in both raids & the dummy, EP is never rotational, I'll only use it if I get lucky with energy refunds, or during AP. However I'm only 2/2 pvp and 1/(4) PvE so takedown costs half a leg and I tend to run dry on energy very easily if I'm not careful.

Yep i didn't forget about updating this. Just having some... issues.

SWTOR forum says:

The text that you have entered is too long (50592 characters). Please shorten it to 50000 characters long.

-__-

Edited by paowee

First wave of updates are up on the front page. And yes you are right as Full Lethality you want to stick to Takedown since EP on cooldown is just going to blow through your energy. TD basically replaces EP and Ambush in the old 1.7 Lethality rotation

Edited by paowee

Added more mirror class terms in the OP. For example..

Hybrid

Visual aid - Gunslinger terms https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9S6aucNXnGnUF9NaDAzVnY3ZVU/edit

These rotations below assume no AP/Cool Head and no TA/Illegal Mods:

When SaboC is up:

SC - SB - VS - WS - SS - SaboC - WS

IP - CG - CD - Cull - SoS - EP - Cull

When SaboC is not up:

SC - SB - VS - WS - SS - AS - WS

IP - CG - CD - Cull - SoS - Ambush - Cull

When Flyby is up:

SC - SB - VS - WS - Flyby - FoB - FoB - WS

IP - CG - CD - Cull - OS - RS - RS - Cull

When Smuggler's Luck is up and you will be at ~100% energy after your 1st WS

SC - SB - VS - WS - SS - SLCB - WS

IP - CG - CD - Cull - SoS - Lazed Snipe - Cull

Use Cool Head with Flyby to maintain a high DPS rotation:

SC - SB - VS - WS - SS - Flyby - CH - WS

IP - CG - CD - Cull - SoS - OS - AP - Cull

Use Illegal Mods with Flyby to maintain a high DPS rotation while taking advantage of your 2-pc PVE set bonus:

SC - SB - VS - WS - Flyby - IM (possible FoB needed) SS - WS

IP - CG - CD - Cull - OS - TA (possible RS needed) SoS - Cull

Full Lethality

Changes in 2.0 Full Lethality

1) No more Explosive Probe Sabotage Charge because of its high energy cost.

2) Less use of Ambush Aimed Shot because Takedown Quickdraw now uses up the GCD we used to alot for Ambush Aimed Shot (or Lazed Snipe, SLCB).

Rotation:

CG - CD - WB - Cull - TD - SoS - Cull - TD - repeat

SB - VS - HS - WS - QD - SS - WS - QD - repeat

When OS/Flyby is up:

CG - CD - WB - Cull - TD - Orbital Strike - RS - RS - Cull

SB - VS - HS - WS - QD - Flyby - FoB - FoB - WS

Fore extra DPS using your roll:

CG - CD - WB - Cull - (run to the boss and then) Roll (outwards) - TD - SoS - Cull - TD - reapeat

SB - VS - HS - WS - (run to the boss and then) Roll (outwards) - QD - SS - WS - QD - reapeat

Edited by paowee

Just wondering if what you said about crit rating still applies now. (for hybrid)

Right now I'm running at 150 crit rating and my DPS on a dummy parse on a good day is 2700 otherwise 2600.

On bosses like DG I finish up at like 2100-2200 so I was wondering if it was a problem with gear or just me sucking.

Just wondering if what you said about crit rating still applies now. (for hybrid)

Right now I'm running at 150 crit rating and my DPS on a dummy parse on a good day is 2700 otherwise 2600.

On bosses like DG I finish up at like 2100-2200 so I was wondering if it was a problem with gear or just me sucking.

I would only add crit if it helps you avoid energy problems, because the spec certainly works well with 0 crit rating.

If you're interested in trying hybrid with 0 crit, I highly recommend checking out this post by KBN:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=668053

It's extremely informative, and it helped me parse 3207 when I had full 72 gear.

• 3 weeks later...

The links are not working for me either, but I think my laptop have a problem with torhead in general, so not sure its the links ;).

Also, as a PvP player who was recently invited to do his very first Operations, THANKS FOR THIS AMAZING THREAD! ;)

Edited by ZipZep

First of all, never got a chance to say, thank you for your amazing guides and the help you provide in these forums and in SamuelAU's Sharpshooter guide!

I've been playing Marksman and Hybrid on my Sniper for quite a while now depending on the boss and feel relatively confident, but I've been asked for a raid-group on my baby-gunslinger recently that demand I play Lethality overall I welcome a change but I have a few concerns/questions:

- They ask me to run with the 4-piece setbonus, seeing how often Takedown is in the rotation I get the logic, but is it really needed for resource management?

- How do I handle bosses like Styrak, he disappears and re-appears rather often, is it a matter of learn to play or is it natural to feel a bit gimped in a DoT spec?

- Does Lethality really hold more potentional compared to Marksman (or even the hybrid?) Like I said before I don't mind the change but I really feel in boss-fights such as Titan 6 (entrench,) The Terror from Beyond (adds/jumping away from DoTs) and Cartel Lords (entrench) Marksman can give me a bit of an edge, even if it's just less pressure on the healers. I'm confident once I've shown my worth I can discuss respeccing for certain bosses, but I won't if it's just me needing to learn how to play Lethality better.

Thank you to anyone who provides me the answers, it just felt this was the appropriate place to ask.