Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How to correctly queue on a Merc in Ranked

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How to correctly queue on a Merc in Ranked

Floplag's Avatar


Floplag
06.25.2015 , 10:52 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by TheJollyRogers View Post
I don't remember the last time I saw a mercenary in solo queue on the Bastion. =(

I still have my 60 mercenary for that one day when BioWare figures out that they need help and makes them a class that is actually enjoyable and not completely frustrating.
i haven't since the middle of last season myself. urination into an oncoming wind got old after a while.
Its a shame really as i feel we have a lot of very good players on the servers that dont bother with it at this point.
Floplag - Merc/Mando
Referral link, cause why not: http://www.swtor.com/r/wdLxth

Glower's Avatar


Glower
06.25.2015 , 10:57 AM | #22
Funny, thanks!


What is the source of this video? A show?
SWTOR goes F2P; 2014 PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)
2014 cantina, A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
2016 livestream: "RNG is exciting"

AlrikFassbauer's Avatar


AlrikFassbauer
06.25.2015 , 12:11 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
what needs to happen is more mercs and pyro PTs in the queue to soften up both teams.
Won't happen. Seriously - as long as Mercs are the primary target - and people are not changing their behaviour.

Zoom_VI's Avatar


Zoom_VI
06.25.2015 , 12:25 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
or forcing trinity comps
In thinking about it, I don't actually believe forcing trinity comps will make a merc more viable in solos. Now it will certainly have a longer life expectancy with a trinity comp, but I don't think it will be more viable, in fact it may lose even more with the current meta. Heck forcing trinity comps will likely make Madness and Hatred even stronger in solos.

The reason being is Mercs don't have a pressure spec. IO and Arsenal are both burst specs. (Don't give me crap about DPS parses - IO's godly PvE rotation is impractical in PvP)
However to kill a trinity comp with burst classes you need to be able to pull off some kind of hardswitch, in solos however you don't have coordination, you don't get to call swaps or yell at the tank for a clutch AoE CC. Heck in solos you will probably not even get a co-DPS whose class synergizes well with yours.
Meanwhile actual pressure specs such as Madness would do absurdly well because pressure strats against a trinity comp boil down to a simple DPS tunnel which requires little to no coordination.
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Floplag's Avatar


Floplag
06.25.2015 , 12:55 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
In thinking about it, I don't actually believe forcing trinity comps will make a merc more viable in solos. Now it will certainly have a longer life expectancy with a trinity comp, but I don't think it will be more viable, in fact it may lose even more with the current meta. Heck forcing trinity comps will likely make Madness and Hatred even stronger in solos.

The reason being is Mercs don't have a pressure spec. IO and Arsenal are both burst specs. (Don't give me crap about DPS parses - IO's godly PvE rotation is impractical in PvP)
However to kill a trinity comp with burst classes you need to be able to pull off some kind of hardswitch, in solos however you don't have coordination, you don't get to call swaps or yell at the tank for a clutch AoE CC. Heck in solos you will probably not even get a co-DPS whose class synergizes well with yours.
Meanwhile actual pressure specs such as Madness would do absurdly well because pressure strats against a trinity comp boil down to a simple DPS tunnel which requires little to no coordination.
Very well said as always
Floplag - Merc/Mando
Referral link, cause why not: http://www.swtor.com/r/wdLxth

foxmob's Avatar


foxmob
06.25.2015 , 01:20 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
In thinking about it, I don't actually believe forcing trinity comps will make a merc more viable in solos. Now it will certainly have a longer life expectancy with a trinity comp, but I don't think it will be more viable, in fact it may lose even more with the current meta. Heck forcing trinity comps will likely make Madness and Hatred even stronger in solos.

The reason being is Mercs don't have a pressure spec. IO and Arsenal are both burst specs. (Don't give me crap about DPS parses - IO's godly PvE rotation is impractical in PvP)
However to kill a trinity comp with burst classes you need to be able to pull off some kind of hardswitch, in solos however you don't have coordination, you don't get to call swaps or yell at the tank for a clutch AoE CC. Heck in solos you will probably not even get a co-DPS whose class synergizes well with yours.
Meanwhile actual pressure specs such as Madness would do absurdly well because pressure strats against a trinity comp boil down to a simple DPS tunnel which requires little to no coordination.
arsenal can swap. IO is a fish out of water, but given solid heals 'n' peels, it can wear out even a guarded sorc. I've done it in grp with a MM sniper on my team. we had the healer dead to rights a few times, but the MM got los. an AP wouldn't have that problem, nor would a madness or hatred. but anyway, it gives arsenal viablity in ranked instead of the run away as long as you can strat in all-dps matches.

I see your point about it making the uber dot spread specs even more ridiculous (particularly hatred), but what can you do? they're out of control no matter how you slice it.
Krack

mmmbuddah's Avatar


mmmbuddah
06.25.2015 , 02:09 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
uh. I mean... if there's only one merc in the queue, then he's an anchor to whichever team he lands on. there's no denying that. aside from fixing balance or forcing trinity comps, neither of which will happen any time soon, what needs to happen is more mercs and pyro PTs in the queue to soften up both teams.
I play IO/ Assault and Plasmatech / Pyro >_<.

On a serious note can someone answer me this, what should crit % be for assault specialist in pvp? Seriously, I went from gunnery to assault and my crit jumped from 25 to 30 percent because of plasma cell.
Jade D.
That Republic Trans Girl You Love

foxmob's Avatar


foxmob
06.25.2015 , 02:25 PM | #28
theoretically, you want to put on alac to speed up the dots AND the cleave, but there's nothing in the discipline to proc an alac multiplier. it's just a really poorly constructed spec. it also has a guaranteed crit (rail) plus the crit buff that's universal to all PTs/VGs. unfortunately, that's NOTHING like the kind of guaranteed procs you get from fury spec jugg/mara. so what I'm going for now is crit through aim and a couple mods to get around 25%. the idea is, with all the dots, to spike as many crits as possible instead of trying for the few and far between big crits. the 10m dot sticks on targets for a long time, so that alone should make it worth the exchange in bonus dmg vs. crit. this is just something I'm trying after having dabbled with crit and tried full power builds.

edit: d'oh! I thought you were on assault VG. lol
Krack

mmmbuddah's Avatar


mmmbuddah
06.25.2015 , 02:40 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
theoretically, you want to put on alac to speed up the dots AND the cleave, but there's nothing in the discipline to proc an alac multiplier. it's just a really poorly constructed spec. it also has a guaranteed crit (rail) plus the crit buff that's universal to all PTs/VGs. unfortunately, that's NOTHING like the kind of guaranteed procs you get from fury spec jugg/mara. so what I'm going for now is crit through aim and a couple mods to get around 25%. the idea is, with all the dots, to spike as many crits as possible instead of trying for the few and far between big crits. the 10m dot sticks on targets for a long time, so that alone should make it worth the exchange in bonus dmg vs. crit. this is just something I'm trying after having dabbled with crit and tried full power builds.

edit: d'oh! I thought you were on assault VG. lol
Sooooooooooooooooo, 30 % is too much then, well ranged is 30 % and tech is 28, dunno why they did that tbh, but whatev. I guess I will just pull the mods and enhancements out and keep them just in case I want to go back to gunnery. My crit is at 25 percent on my plasmatech, pretty much full power / mainstat build.
Jade D.
That Republic Trans Girl You Love

xX-Archangel-Xx's Avatar


xX-Archangel-Xx
06.25.2015 , 02:49 PM | #30
ahahahahah 10/10


Quing ranked with my merc right now yes FOTM kill me if you dare
< Bioware plz Nerf Mercs > Guild
TRE server
Game is balanced http://prntscr.com/962p0t /// http://prntscr.com/962mjr