Something against dual-wielding in the movies?

Verrell

Why is it that in the films there is hardly no Jedi/Sith dual-wielding? Or was it just a rare form of combat? :confused:

Yes, I know of Anakin dual-wielding for a few seconds, but other than that I mean primarily Jedi/Sith using two lightsabers by default.

Edited by Verrell

im sure this is going to get flamed, but watch the clone wars cartoon. the sith apprentice is a dual weilder and for part of the series so is anakin's apprentice. im guessing its just rare that there's a dual weilder, kind of an ambidextrous thing.

I meant the movies, sorry for the confusion.

Actually, if you look reeeeeaaaaaal closely, there's a Jedi running around dual wielding in the background during the Battle of Geonosis in AoTC. You see him for like a second or two at most.

Really? I had no idea, I may have to look into that mainly because the slow bulky fighting of say, a Juggernaut doesn't appeal to me. The Marauder is more my style as they seem to fight with agile.

I meant the movies, sorry for the confusion.

trying to help you out, don't be a douche about it. and if you look at any war or history book. its very rare someone successfully pulls off the dual weild, be it gun or sword. yes movies have alot of it, but thats just because it looks cool.

trying to help you out, don't be a douche about it. and if you look at any war or history book. its very rare someone successfully pulls off the dual weild, be it gun or sword. yes movies have alot of it, but thats just because it looks cool.

Not being a douche, lol. Everyone who plays this game isn't one. I just forgot to clear up in my original post that I meant the 6 movies.

Edited by Verrell

You can use both your hands wielding 1 blade. This allows you to strike harder.

I'd like to vouch for this answer. My little brother uses his toy saber with two hands against me, while I use only one hand. If I weren't an expert martial artist, his two-handed little-kid strength would easily beat back my one hand. And he doesn't even understand proper leverage.

Edited by ZoeTuah

because very few people are skilled enough with both hands to effectively fight, you see Anakin do it in the end of AotC and is easily over powered by his opponent and ends up losing a hand as a result. Theatricwise because the lightsaber has no actual blade and is just a hilt with a CGI blade it makes it harder to use with both hands and not have to cut out a scene of them cutting a limb off motionwise

Why is it that in the films there is hardly no Jedi/Sith dual-wielding? Or was it just a rare form of combat? :confused:

Yes, I know of Anakin dual-wielding for a few seconds, but other than that I mean primarily Jedi/Sith using two lightsabers by default.

Its one of those things where it was seen in the movie 2-3 times only and everybody went insane about it. But there really was no more need for it in the films.

Like Maul's Double-Bladed Lightsabers. After that we got famous EU characters like Kun and Shan.

Hell, even Maul himself. He was just a nobody villain that looked cool until there was a huge outbreak on him and thats why we now have novels on him.

because very few people are skilled enough with both hands to effectively fight, you see Anakin do it in the end of AotC and is easily over powered by his opponent and ends up losing a hand as a result. Theatricwise because the lightsaber has no actual blade and is just a hilt with a CGI blade it makes it harder to use with both hands and not have to cut out a scene of them cutting a limb off motionwise

If you watch the Making Ofs, they actually do have a 'blade' in them, it's a dull plastic the same color as the actual blade.

That said, yes, the style is harder to master, decreases your defensive capabilities, and effectively cuts your strike strength and precision in half.

That also means that it's harder to choreograph, which means more money. It's cheaper to just keep it simple.

If you watch the Making Ofs, they actually do have a 'blade' in them, it's a dull plastic the same color as the actual blade.

That said, yes, the style is harder to master, decreases your defensive capabilities, and effectively cuts your strike strength and precision in half.

That also means that it's harder to choreograph, which means more money. It's cheaper to just keep it simple.

That I didn't know but yes it is a difficult style to master. If you look at games like KotR 2 they have a short saber to use as an off hand lightsaber which is easier to use and functions similar to holding a shorter lighter blade as a second weapon.

I Might be wrong here. But when you look at Escrima/Kali they fight dual wielding and single weapon. It seems that dual wielding is effecitve in group Warfarre while single weapon seems to have the best effect in dueling 1 on 1.

I Might be wrong here. But when you look at Escrima/Kali they fight dual wielding and single weapon. It seems that dual wielding is effecitve in group Warfarre while single weapon seems to have the best effect in dueling 1 on 1.

In group warfare, blaster wins every time.

Wouldn't using a lightsaber in each hand limit them in using the force? I have no lore (that I know of) to back this statement up, but as far as I have seen whenever someone uses the force they almost always use their hands in some way and this is especially true whenever they battle.

It might just be pointless gestures for all I know, but I still think it might be viable that by occupying both your hands with lightsabers you are limiting your manipulation of the Force.

I'd like to vouch for this answer. My little brother uses his toy saber with two hands against me, while I use only one hand. If I weren't an expert martial artist, his two-handed little-kid strength would easily beat back my one hand. And he doesn't even understand proper leverage.

If I weren't an expert martial artist....lol dork

Also, for the majority of people, this will work. Pick something up on your desk. Your drink, your mouse, a pen. I don't care. Just do that.

See what you did? You used your dominant hand, be it right or left. (Exceptions happen, don't care, moving on.)

Something like that will happen in a stressful situation almost every time, say, when you're fighting for your life with two lightsabers or weapons of any kind. You'll be swinging and fighting your butt off with your good hand while the other one will be there, getting in your way and possibly cutting parts of your body off.

Some people are athletic enough or, better, trained enough to pull off the use of two melee weapons. It takes years, it's never easy and it's not necessarily practical for many of the reasons highlighted earlier.

Because I know shooting, I'll go with this. A typical grip on a semiautomatic pistol will have your dominant hand around the grip, index finger ready along the trigger guard and your thumb parallel to the slide, within reach of the magazine release and slide catch/safety levers. Your off hand will be wrapped around the middle, index and ring fingers of your dominant hand with thumbs laying against one another, pointing forward. With your main hand you push out, with your off you pull back, creating a lock of sorts. When it comes time to reload, you can then remove your offhand, grab a magazine, simultaneously hit the magazine release, snap new magazine into place, release the slide and re-engage.

The weapon was designed for that kind of use. Not to be held akimbo while you shoot wildly and awkwardly while also having hot shell casings hit you in the face because the weapon was designed to be held in your PRIMARY HAND so it could eject shells away from you. All of this potentially applies to melee weapons as well. Grip, on switches, etc.

Shooting two pistols eliminates all of those benefits, gives you one more thing for your stressed out brain to keep track of(forget) and makes it stupidly complicated to try and reload.

Fighting (properly) with a weapon is hard enough, much less two of them. Not that I don't think it looks neat as hell too.

Edited by PartVI

Its one of those things where it was seen in the movie 2-3 times only and everybody went insane about it. But there really was no more need for it in the films.

Like Maul's Double-Bladed Lightsabers. After that we got famous EU characters like Kun and Shan.

Hell, even Maul himself. He was just a nobody villain that looked cool until there was a huge outbreak on him and thats why we now have novels on him.

Exar Kun predates Darth Maul by a good 5 - 6 years.

Because dual wielding is generally a bad idea. You may think that two weapons is better than one, but that's almost never true.

Throughout history, the only effective forms of dual wielding have been with a main "attack" weapon, and a defensive weapon. The best example is the Rapier and Main-gauche. And then, all the attacking is done with your main hand (Rapier).

But that's the logical reason. The real reason is that Lucas didn't use trainers who specialized in any form of dual-wielding (they mostly don't exist). In the OT, he used Samurai style combat. In the prequels, he used mostly wu-shu trainers. Admittedly, wu-shu does contain the dual butterfly-sword styles, but they probably didn't work well with straight blades.

Edited by Kashaan