General PvP Skill Level

Deshie

Since my sub is coming to end and I most likely wont be subbing again I'd like to actually get thoughts of other people on this issue/ leave future reference for other people.

Dont worry I won't be talking about lack of PvP content or the horrible implementation of PvP in this game but rather an issue which strikes me the most.

During the course of 2 months gameplay spread between my 3 characters I've noticed the extreme lack of skill in PvP.

Hear me out. I'm talking about how anyone can play any class without even thinking. It's not even a feat to master one's class in this game. There is no game changing cooldowns like for example Pain Suppression and so forth. There is no real penalty for not using your cooldowns. There is no real incentive to time your cooldowns or manage your skills for example like managing your energy. In fact there is actuallly no good cooldowns in the first place. All the cooldowns in game are so dumbed down it's unreal. There is no incentive to use control infact you could probably roll your dribbling face on the keyboard and beat people with most classes. Most specs in this game arent even viable which leads to people playing broken hybrid builds. Everybody is clone of the next. In WoW I could see 3 DKs in BG using different specs (blood,frost and unholy) most of them time and that isnt even unusual. All these issues just leads to sub par PvP experience.

Most of the so called "PvPers" still left in game are more or less attached to fact this game is so easy to play that even if they were sub par players in other games they can be so called "pros" in this game. It's a joke.

10-49 bracket is a complete joke. Everyone will say "but it's so fun". The reason is so fun is cause most of the people are so clueless. This goes for both empire and republic. I have characters on both side and both are bad as the other. I mean people struggle to get 4-6 medals in games whilst people with brain that have actually played PvP in other games are getting 8-11 medals each game without any effort. Just goes to show how bad some people are.

As for the 50 bracket do I even need to say more? It's just a cluster of bads thinking they are godlike because they have their "PvP Titles" and gear. I'm suprised they havent realised PvP in this game is complete joke. I bet I'm going to hear "OMG QQ ME AND PREMADE ARE AWESOME YO". Let me guess you want so called "competitive" PvP in ToR that's why you never made the cut in WoW PvP and especially Arena. All of you can hate on WoW but I doubt you have brains or skill to actually reach more than 1.5k rating and that is saying something.

In all this game is just breeding poor pvp skill level. However if you still believe that PvP in ToR is awesome, you will have another thing coming your way if you ever decide to play another MMO.

I have 9 days left on my sub and I'm rarely on for more than a hour a day these day. For the amount I paid for this game it's appalling. Tera Beta starts on the 10th of this month and I just got invited to Dota 2 beta so atleast something to pass the time which isnt utter crap until GW2 release. These are just my final thoughts on this game before I leave, you may or may not agree with them.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, the OP sounds like he's one of those WoW PvPers, who believe that is a skill based game. But really, this has been a gear based game and people knew that. But honestly, anyone claiming that skill is removed just because they can mash a few buttons doesn't seem to get it. Skill is using tactics, your abilities and so forth smartly. Anytime I see someone preach about the lack of skill in this game because they got yanked into a fire trap or pushed off a ledge I just roll my eyes, because they are one of those people that prefer the herp a derp method of standing toe to toe and trading blows with people.

There is no real penalty for not using your cooldowns. There is no real incentive to time your cooldowns or manage your skills for example like managing your energy. In fact there is actuallly no good cooldowns in the first place. All the cooldowns in game are so dumbed down it's unreal. There is no incentive to use control infact you could probably roll your dribbling face on the keyboard and beat people with most classes.

You say this, and play an Assassin? We're all about cooldowns and well timed CC.

I can't take anyone serious that references WoW PvP as a measure of "good PvP".

That being said, I kind of agree with his premise lol. What I've noticed more than anything is this game is full of "war zone warriors" who thump their chest about how much dps they can fake during a war zone, but are completely inept in world PvP which is where one should really gauge "PvP skill".

That being said, I kind of agree with his premise lol. What I've noticed more than anything is this game is full of "war zone warriors" who thump their chest about how much dps they can fake during a war zone, but are completely inept in world PvP which is where one should really gauge "PvP skill".

World PvP, you mean based on the side that brings the biggest team? You know, one can easily turn that argument around on you so really don't call someone a chest thumper one way then try and crow about how the other is so much better.

This. Also there are A LOT of good cooldown classes, plus everyone besides Inquisitors/Consulars has to manage their energy. OP is simply wrong and doesn't know what he's talking about.

Omg qq me and premade are awesome yo

TBH 90% of arena players are 'scrubs' too. You can easily get to 2300 with the right comp and macros. Until rated warfronts comes out, you can't really judge the pvp in this game.

Edited by Orangerascal

You actually believe the words you're typing? The way you praise WoW like you actually believe it yourself is puzzling to me. While it's not that great in SWtOR it's still a lot better than in WoW. The only thing WoW has going for it in terms of PvP is responsive gameplay.

It's a short and easy game, with VERY little content.

I just hit 46 on my Marauder, and typed /played and saw I was still about 11 mins under a 3-day mark. And this is a char I very frequently left AFK (at least 3 times last week alone) until the game kicked me out to the character selection screen. That's VERY short. Less than 3 days /played and within 4 levels of max? Silly.

As I was doing my class quest on Voss, I walk into a dungeon. And there's doors for Bounty Hunters, doors for Operatives, doors for Inquisitors. No matter what class you are, you WILL end up in that dungeon. So the bulk of the content is totally rehashed, and replay value is nonexistent. Compare that to WoW, where a class quest took you places in the world nobody went. Huge replay value right there.

All in all, SWTOR has been a disappointment so far. And class stories, while nice, are not up to Mass Effect or Witcher standards, at least IMHO.

As for general PvP level being bad, what do you expect? This is a game that gives every player a babysitter NPC to DPS for them, or tank for them, or heal them! A game that marks quest objectives on the minimap and makes them blink and glow. Something vanilla WoW didn't do - you had to find the quest item visually, based on VERY vague clues.

I'm going to compare Voidstar to Strand of the Ancients. The general premise is the same. Attackers try to bust through doors. Defenders try to stop them. Only in WoW, defenders are free to move around between ALL doors, not just the nearest two. Attackers can plant bombs anywhere along the door, not just one point. Attackers have siege vehicles, and defenders have stationary cannons. Graveyards are strategically placed. Etc., etc. Guess which game fosters more strategy and teamwork, and requires more skill? Also, which game has rated matches, and which one doesn't?

Yeah, I know, the game just came out, blah blah. After so many years and so much money, if they spent it judiciously instead of sinking it all into the voiceovers that 90% of players will just skip anyway, it would have been better. As it is, it was a nice time killer but lately I find myself losing interest. In other games, getting to 50 is where the game really begins. In SWTOR, getting to 50 is where the game ends - story, content, etc.

Having said that, the game surpassed my expectations. I expected it to last a month, and be dead in 3. So far, we're nearing a 2 month mark, and it's still more or less alive. Maybe the SWTOR fanboys will keep this one afloat. Who knows. But I'm pretty sure March I will spend in Mass Effect 3 and not this.

You know, the OP sounds like he's one of those WoW PvPers, who believe that is a skill based game. But really, this has been a gear based game and people knew that. But honestly, anyone claiming that skill is removed just because they can mash a few buttons doesn't seem to get it. Skill is using tactics, your abilities and so forth smartly. Anytime I see someone preach about the lack of skill in this game because they got yanked into a fire trap or pushed off a ledge I just roll my eyes, because they are one of those people that prefer the herp a derp method of standing toe to toe and trading blows with people.

This is a reskinned WoW. I just happen to like this skin much more. There is absolutely nothing significantly different between the two, otherwise. Rift had huge differences, SWTOR, not so much.

If you have the skill, you will beat the gear. If you have the skill and no gear and they have some skill but a ton of gear, it'll end up close. It is like that in all MMOs with PVP specific gear.

I have characters on both side and both are bad as the other. I mean people struggle to get 4-6 medals in games whilst people with brain that have actually played PvP in other games are getting 8-11 medals each game without any effort. Just goes to show how bad some people are.

This is where I stopped reading. Getting 8-11 medals does not mean AT ALL that any player knows how to PvP. It just means that the player knows the system and goes for the jugular. This "idea" you are trying to pass on is wrong in so many ways - there are, say, specs that cannot get in a ... legitimate - way the 8-11 medals. And by legitimate I mean in a way the the medals actually mean the player is helping/helped your team. Again, this observation is SO wrong in som many ways its not even funny, and just shows that you really know little about the game's PvP. Sorry but its the truth.

Edited by Soulaufein

World PvP, you mean based on the side that brings the biggest team? You know, one can easily turn that argument around on you so really don't call someone a chest thumper one way then try and crow about how the other is so much better.

You are on the inept ones that thinks its all about who brings the numbers.

You are on the inept ones that thinks its all about who brings the numbers.

You mean like yesterday when I was soloing in Ilum yesterday and my record was 3 wins and ~100 loses....

Was 3-1 when numbers where equal though :)

Open PvP is almost entirely about numbers.

Edited by ImURmaster

most people simply wont pick up their class for several months, and then add some after that to understand what other classes can also do.

Quite a few mmos ive ended up coming back after 12 months because there tends to be normalisation in the class knowledge by then, it's nothing really new.

You mean like yesterday when I was soloing in Ilum yesterday and my record was 3 wins and ~100 loses....

Was 3-1 when numbers where equal though :)

Open PvP is almost entirely about numbers.

But you probably do high DPS in war zones. ;)

Let me guess you want so called "competitive" PvP in ToR that's why you never made the cut in WoW PvP and especially Arena. All of you can hate on WoW but I doubt you have brains or skill to actually reach more than 1.5k rating and that is saying something.

Lol try games like Darkfall which actually needs player skill....then come back here to even use the phrase PvP or make any kind of generalizations like these about people you have no idea about.

On the other hand I believe that SWTOR atm has some specific classes/builds that require the most player skill compared to other theme/carebear MMOs out there (like RIFT, WoW etc).

Edited by Delolith

Lol try games like Darkfall which actually needs player skill....then come back here to even use the phrase PvP or make any kind of generalizations like these about people you have no idea about.

darkfall has the biggest gear/level gap in the history of pvp games.

HORRIBLE display of skill.