Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Having some problems with threat

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Guardian / Juggernaut
Having some problems with threat

backgen
02.23.2012 , 11:16 AM | #1
Hello everyone!

First off, please do not construe this post as yet another player whining about jugg threat generation. I've looked through a few threads and can see that it's quite a divided issue, but frankly since i havn't tried tanking with any other class i don't think i'm in a position to judge whether or not Jugg's need a threat buff.

I'm a little concerned about my threat generation. My guild is going through HM KP and EV, and i have some issues holding threat on the bosses sometimes. I guess 1-2 taunts during a fight is sometimes unavoidable but i really shouldn't be having to resort to using my threatening scream because my normal taunt is on CD.

So what could i be doing wrong?

A little info about my gear/rotation.

Gear: I've got about half and half columni/rakata although my belt and implants are still mediocre. I've got about 18k health unbuffed. The rest of my guild is pretty well geared with most having full columni/rakata. My accuracy is around 96% (could this be the entire problem?).

Rotation: I use a priority system with the standard opening (throw/charge + backhand and Crush). Then priority scream > crush > Ravage > Smash > Vicious slash (if i still have Rage). I throw in all the 1min CD stuff when i can (although i have not been using Force Push because i didn't think it would have any effect on bosses....should i be?)

Apologies for the long thread!

Darth_Veng
02.23.2012 , 12:18 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by backgen View Post
Hello everyone!

First off, please do not construe this post as yet another player whining about jugg threat generation. I've looked through a few threads and can see that it's quite a divided issue, but frankly since i havn't tried tanking with any other class i don't think i'm in a position to judge whether or not Jugg's need a threat buff.

I'm a little concerned about my threat generation. My guild is going through HM KP and EV, and i have some issues holding threat on the bosses sometimes. I guess 1-2 taunts during a fight is sometimes unavoidable but i really shouldn't be having to resort to using my threatening scream because my normal taunt is on CD.

So what could i be doing wrong?

A little info about my gear/rotation.

Gear: I've got about half and half columni/rakata although my belt and implants are still mediocre. I've got about 18k health unbuffed. The rest of my guild is pretty well geared with most having full columni/rakata. My accuracy is around 96% (could this be the entire problem?).

Rotation: I use a priority system with the standard opening (throw/charge + backhand and Crush). Then priority scream > crush > Ravage > Smash > Vicious slash (if i still have Rage). I throw in all the 1min CD stuff when i can (although i have not been using Force Push because i didn't think it would have any effect on bosses....should i be?)

Apologies for the long thread!

I was having the same issue when I was a 31 Immortal and 10 vengeance spec. I was not able to do enough damage to hold a good threat so I was having to burn backhand, Taunt, and threatening scream to try and keep agro.

I have since changed to a 17 Immortal and 24 Vengeance I no longer have the issue. I no longer have backhand but my DPS is over double. Since I am able to do more damage I am able to hold threat the whole time. With the adjustments to Surge it has helped a lot as well.

Take a look at the 17/24/0 spec and try it out and see if it makes a difference.

thorizdin
02.23.2012 , 12:31 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Veng View Post
I was having the same issue when I was a 31 Immortal and 10 vengeance spec. I was not able to do enough damage to hold a good threat so I was having to burn backhand, Taunt, and threatening scream to try and keep agro.

I have since changed to a 17 Immortal and 24 Vengeance I no longer have the issue. I no longer have backhand but my DPS is over double. Since I am able to do more damage I am able to hold threat the whole time. With the adjustments to Surge it has helped a lot as well.

Take a look at the 17/24/0 spec and try it out and see if it makes a difference.
I seriously doubt this unless your DPS is so bad you're hitting every enrage timer. The damage difference between 17/24 and 31/10 is less than 5% (its actually close to 0 if you're using Intercede on cooldown because of the GCD).

To the OP, forget about not using your AoE taunt its there for a reason. If you're MT you aren't responsible for picking up adds so what else is it for?

A couple of questions:
Who do you have guard on and is that person reliably within 15 meters for the entire fight?
Are you using Intercede to reduce threat on the "hottest" DPS you don't have guarded?

backgen
02.23.2012 , 11:02 PM | #4
I usually put guard on the healers, but i'll switch it if I see one DPS in particular is pulling more than me.

I almost never use intercede. I figured that on some fights, i can't afford for the boss to be moving around too much (Karagga or Garth for example), and also that the time it takes for me to get back to the boss is wasted threat gen.

Midichlorien
02.24.2012 , 05:35 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by backgen View Post
I usually put guard on the healers, but i'll switch it if I see one DPS in particular is pulling more than me.

I almost never use intercede. I figured that on some fights, i can't afford for the boss to be moving around too much (Karagga or Garth for example), and also that the time it takes for me to get back to the boss is wasted threat gen.
Put guard on a melee then, at best a Marauder and use Intervention for a very small hop. Marauders are the class which most likely will get aggro at all.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion
The Force shall free me.