Community First Impressions

Fleurtygirl

Horrible. Absolutely horrible.

I know that online games are typically filled with people acting in ways that they would never dream act away from the keyboard, but this just really left a bad taste in my mouth.

So I'm new. I go to run Esseles tonight, and the guys all want to "spacebar" through the convos. I politely let them know that I'm new to the game and would like to see the story. Well, they moan a little bit about it, but agree to let me listen to the conversations.

Out of courtesy, I "halfway space" through them while trying to keep up with exactly what was going on in the story. I felt this was a good compromise. To be fair, the game does have alot of superfluous talking.

Apparently this wasn't enough. They start informing me of how if I want to listen to the conversations how I will never get groups and will be frequently kicked out of parties because of it. I try to shrug it off and tell them politely that I will just have to play with people who don't mind my being new, but they continue to insist that I am wrong, and their way is right. Ok, fine, I shrug this off too. I'm trying to not let the negativity get to me at this point.

Well, we get to the part where the Lieutenant wants you to leave the Ambassador behind on the ship. They all say they want to leave her behind. At this point, I've gone quiet. I'm honestly not interested in talking with them anymore, but to be clear, I'm not being rude, just silent. So, the important thing to note here is that I never agreed to leave the Ambassador behind.

We get to the conversation roll, I am outnumbered 3-1 in the odds, well, I win the roll and good old' Asara gets saved. The group was furious with me. Apparently, one of them had run this "500 times" and I had now wasted his time because he didn't get some title from leaving her behind.

I apologized and explained that 1. this is my first play-through 2. I bought this game for the story and role playing and 3. It's really nothing personal and I never agreed to leave the Ambassador behind. I suggested that he try running the instance with friends who were all on the same page, but that was ignored.

I started the group initially, but passed lead mid-way through to pick up his friend to complete our group with 4 people. Well, needless to say, they took that opportunity to kick me out of the party. I didn't get any of those light side points, nor the XP for completing the instance.

I was called a dick and told I "wouldn't go very far in this game", apparently because I play the game as it is intended to be played.

What a great first impression. Tell me this: should I go play on a role playing server? Can I, you know, engage in the story, the thing that this game was marketed and sold for, on those servers without fear of being lambasted as a "dick"?

A few more experiences like this and I'm out. Sorry. I bought this game to get away from the "Huh, what is going on", detached gameplay of World of Warcraft. I shouldn't be penalized and ostracized for being a new player who plays well, I'm a 6 year veteran of WoW with some serious raiding experience under my belt, but who just wants to listen to the damn story her first time through and pick the conversation options she'd like to pick.

Edited by Fleurtygirl

If someone wants to get something deadly specific out of a Flashpoint, like a piece of gear or a title, they should be running it with friends who know what the specific goals are. You encountered some blasted idiots who were being selfish.

I'd invite you to join me and mine on The Progenitor (RP-PvE EU server), but you appear to be a Republic player and we're all Imperials :)

It's hard with strangers as a lot of people are in the mindset of "my way or the highway" - I'd say what you really need to do to get around that is find a like-minded guild of friendly, social people who can help you to experience the game and get maximum enjoyment out of it.

And really, if he'd run it 500 times you'd think he could just over-level it and come back.

It dawned on me after this experience that an RP server may be a better fit for me. I'm not really into role-playing per-say, but I do have a specific attitude in mind for my character, and I care about what choices I make. I feel like I have less of a chance of these sorts of things happening in a community that is predominantly full of people who care about story.

I should make the switch now before me and my b/f get too high level and feel like we can't turn back. I just needed to vent some steam.

If you're in Europe, I believe The Progenitor has been made into "the" English-speaking RP server, as Shaltin Tunnels (my old server) and Trask Ulgo were allowed to transfer there. There will still be some mean people, it's impossible to escape from them entirely, but as a general rule you should be able to find friendlier people and guilds.

The Ebon Hawk is a great US RP-PvE server....tons of people. I can't say that you won't run into people acting like jerks, but you certainly won't have anything like this happen.

RP servers are generally more laid back and have a better community overall. I don't particularly enjoy RP either, but the amount of ******s is significantly lower on RP servers.

sadly you get that sort in every game ... play thro listen to the cutscenes / conversations you only get to hear emn for the first time once after all. I'm the first one to admit i dont listen to a lot of them these days but first time through every single one :). Edited by dupela

Me and the guy just re-rolled on the Ebon Hawk! Definitely looking forward to it. I played on RP servers off and on in WoW and always met some fantastic folks. Maybe I'll even get into some of the events. Look forward to meeting many friends.

generally rp servers are more mature. kiddies dont go to them as in most games they are more moderated.

sadly what you encountered isnt too rare though but is a lot better than when the game first came out. finding the right type of people to play with is very important to a lot of us. the wrong type you put on ignore and blacklist their guild and legacy.

space baring content when someone in the group tells everyone it is their first time through the content is nothing more than rude and selfish behavior. there is no means to rationalize otherwise unless you are this type of person: rude and selfish.

with the new lfg system coming out you will see more of this type of post. i guarantee it.

Me and the guy just re-rolled on the Ebon Hawk! Definitely looking forward to it. I played on RP servers off and on in WoW and always met some fantastic folks. Maybe I'll even get into some of the events. Look forward to meeting many friends.

Good move! After too many experiences like that in pickup groups, I did some homework and found a like-minded guild. Makes a huge difference when you find people who are fun to play with. Ebon Hawk isn't perfect, but my good experiences have outweighed the bad so far, and over time you learn some questions to ask up front before getting too far in a pickup group FP. ;)

Good move! After too many experiences like that in pickup groups, I did some homework and found a like-minded guild. Makes a huge difference when you find people who are fun to play with. Ebon Hawk isn't perfect, but my good experiences have outweighed the bad so far, and over time you learn some questions to ask up front before getting too far in a pickup group FP. ;)

Definitely already enjoying it and not even off Tython. Probably just sat in the cantina and talked lore and Game of Thrones for an hour. Good stuff!

Thanks for the support in this thread, guys. Means alot. :rolleyes:

Edited by Fleurtygirl