So pubs can be lesbians but imps not?

abokado

Hi. A straight person here, and I love the romances in SWTOR. If I had to choose between a new, romancable companion and a new operation, it would be the companion. You may not think it's real content, but there are people (like me) who think it IS real content. They add a little drama to the stories and make them more interesting. Of course, a deep friendship with a npc would probably do the same thing, but I haven't yet found a npc I could develop such a friendship with (outclueding companions, of course). So it's either a professional relationship or romance, and I have to say, romance is way more interesting.

Also I have to admit, I love to watch/read when two characters I like are in love with each other (Or even being sweet to each other), no matter if it's in a movie, a book or a game. And since I more or less like all my characters, all I need for my special "awwww, they are so cute!"-moments is another cute character. :p

Not to insult you, but you have more feminine tastes when it comes to gaming than most dudes...How anyone would prefer a romance over actual story development or gameplay is beyond my mind. How a thread about whether or not you get a few lines and then a fade to black cutscene with the same gender reached 10 pages is beyond me as well...

If anyone really wants more romance...ask for better ones. Sprinkling in romances on every planet that just add more romances to the shallow and uninteresting romance pool doesn't help the game...except maybe giving the fanbase *** bait for a few hours.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to insult you, but you have more feminine tastes when it comes to gaming than most dudes...How anyone would prefer a romance over actual story development or gameplay is beyond my mind. How a thread about whether or not you get a few lines and then a fade to black cutscene with the same gender reached 10 pages is beyond me as well...

If anyone really wants more romance...ask for better ones. Sprinkling in romances on every planet that just add more romances to the shallow and uninteresting romance pool doesn't help the game...except maybe giving the fanbase *** bait for a few hours.

If it isn't obvious because of my feminine tastes, I am a female.

Basically, I do count romances as story content. Especially companion romances, but hey, all kind of romances usually come with quests that have a story. And I pick story content over anything else.

And at least some romances I do find enjoyable (Many companion romances and Aristocra Saganu comes to my mind), but yeah, some romances do lack quality. The ones where you have 5 lines with some npc, you click [flirt] 3 times, and then get a screen fading to black - that's boring. And I'd love to have more those better romances. One good addition imo would be that instead of being "romance option of the planet" (like some Bond girl), you could actually meet the characters you romanced in the past again - or at least hear from them. (I'm looking at Saganu right now.)

+ Extending companion storylines, romanceable or not, would be great.

If it isn't obvious because of my feminine tastes, I am a female.

Basically, I do count romances as story content. Especially companion romances, but hey, all kind of romances usually come with quests that have a story. And I pick story content over anything else.

And at least some romances I do find enjoyable (Many companion romances and Aristocra Saganu comes to my mind), but yeah, some romances do lack quality. The ones where you have 5 lines with some npc, you click [flirt] 3 times, and then get a screen fading to black - that's boring. And I'd love to have more those better romances. One good addition imo would be that instead of being "romance option of the planet" (like some Bond girl), you could actually meet the characters you romanced in the past again - or at least hear from them. (I'm looking at Saganu right now.)

+ Extending companion storylines, romanceable or not, would be great.

You might be interested in this thread, if you haven't seen it yet: Suggestion for future romance content

What else can be a baby factory other than a woman? Do you understand how ludicrous your statement sounds? Paraphrased it sounds like this...

"Why do women always get portrayed as baby factories? We're not baby factories!"

Uh yes you are. You can make a baby hence you are a baby factory. If I made Popsicle stick houses with my bare hands (well with Popsicle sticks and glue) I'd be a Popsicle stick house factory.

I'm sorry, the sheer amount of wrong in this post is astounding, not to mention the misogyny. Women have means to create babies. That does not make them baby factories. You certainly have the capability to make Popsicle houses with your hands, whether you do so or not. That doesn't make you a Popsicle house factory. Just because women CAN create babies, it doesn't mean that's their primary function. Plus, every woman is different. If a woman doesn't want to use her uterus to make babies, that's fine. That's her choice. She can create symphonies, perform heart surgery, or make a self-sufficient life for herself working in an office. She can do any of the above and make babies.

In summary: women have a part that can make babies. This does not make them baby factories. They are more than just that one part.

The problem is heteronormativity and exclusion. If you're going to include romance, only including heterosexual romance can easily make LGBT people feel very left out. You can say "it's just a game", but when this sort of thing happens to you in some form every single day (heterosexual people tend not to notice how heteronormative they are), it can have a huge effect. Straight people don't generally understand that, but might be able to understand these perspectives:

Muh feels.

I'm sorry, the sheer amount of wrong in this post is astounding, not to mention the misogyny. Women have means to create babies. That does not make them baby factories. You certainly have the capability to make Popsicle houses with your hands, whether you do so or not. That doesn't make you a Popsicle house factory. Just because women CAN create babies, it doesn't mean that's their primary function. Plus, every woman is different. If a woman doesn't want to use her uterus to make babies, that's fine. That's her choice. She can create symphonies, perform heart surgery, or make a self-sufficient life for herself working in an office. She can do any of the above and make babies.

In summary: women have a part that can make babies. This does not make them baby factories. They are more than just that one part.

However you want to frame it fine... a factory that opens its doors once every few years. Bottom line... the ability to birth a human life is EXCLUSIVE to women (well until science is able to create the artificial womb). So when making a storyline that revolves around reproduction you will see the woman suggesting she make a baby. I never once heard BW suggest women are only here to make babies and I never said women are here only to make babies.

However birthing a child IS a woman's primary purpose in nature, just as it is a mans primary purpose in nature to protect and provide for it. Need proof? Just look at virtually every single animal species on the planet. It is only in our species where we have decided we want to change the primary purposes but nothing can replace natures order of things.

Furthermore BOOM

Edited by Brittaany_Banks

However you want to frame it fine... a factory that opens its doors once every few years. Bottom line... the ability to birth a human life is EXCLUSIVE to women (well until science is able to create the artificial womb). So when making a storyline that revolves around reproduction you will see the woman suggesting she make a baby. I never once heard BW suggest women are only here to make babies and ]I never said women are here only to make babies.

However birthing a child IS a woman's primary purpose in nature, just as it is a mans primary purpose in nature to protect and provide for it. Need proof? Just look at virtually every single animal species on the planet. It is only in our species where we have decided we want to change the primary purposes but nothing can replace natures order of things.

Furthermore BOOM

For one..

http://beforeitsnews.com/science-and-technology/2013/10/the-artificial-womb-is-born-and-the-world-of-the-matrix-begins-2647320.html?currentSplittedPage=1

THIS is a baby factory. This is a device used for only creating newborns. Women? Are not the same as this.

For two..

Regarding the bolded part of your quote, this is an outright lie. You said women were baby factories. Different words, different arrangement of those words, same exact meaning. Go back and edit your previous post all you want, lie about the meaning of words all you want, you are exactly the misogynist that your words paint you to be. Post as many pictures with famous characters as you want, never have I seen the word be more appropriate.

For three...

http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/sciencefacts/animals/lion.html

Relevant part: Lionesses are better hunters than males and do most of the hunting for a pride.

http://elephant.elehost.com/About_Elephants/Family_Structure/family_structure.html

Relevant part: An elephant family is led by a matriarch, with the matriarch being the oldest and most experienced of the herd

Need more? Look up social structure for hamsters, hyenas, lemurs, and several more. Females having codominance with or dominance over males is nothing new in the animal kingdom, and females do far more than birth the young. In fact, your statement that "it is a mans primary purpose in nature to protect and provide for it" ["it" being a child], describes a more unusual situation. Males often leave females after mating, having little to do with the rearing of the young. I'm sorry, but colonial animals like ants and bees where one mating female does nothing but give birth is far from the norm.

As for Bioware? I don't have issue with their stories. They involve individual characters with their own preferences. While I wish they would be more inclusive and involve more options, they are not making blanket statements about an entire gender.

You? Are. And that is what I have problems with.

For one..

http://beforeitsnews.com/science-and-technology/2013/10/the-artificial-womb-is-born-and-the-world-of-the-matrix-begins-2647320.html?currentSplittedPage=1

THIS is a baby factory. This is a device used for only creating newborns. Women? Are not the same as this.

For two..

Regarding the bolded part of your quote, this is an outright lie. You said women were baby factories. Different words, different arrangement of those words, same exact meaning. Go back and edit your previous post all you want, lie about the meaning of words all you want, you are exactly the misogynist that your words paint you to be. Post as many pictures with famous characters as you want, never have I seen the word be more appropriate.

For three...

http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/sciencefacts/animals/lion.html

Relevant part: Lionesses are better hunters than males and do most of the hunting for a pride.

http://elephant.elehost.com/About_Elephants/Family_Structure/family_structure.html

Relevant part: An elephant family is led by a matriarch, with the matriarch being the oldest and most experienced of the herd

Need more? Look up social structure for hamsters, hyenas, lemurs, and several more. Females having codominance with or dominance over males is nothing new in the animal kingdom, and females do far more than birth the young. In fact, your statement that "it is a mans primary purpose in nature to protect and provide for it" ["it" being a child], describes a more unusual situation. Males often leave females after mating, having little to do with the rearing of the young. I'm sorry, but colonial animals like ants and bees where one mating female does nothing but give birth is far from the norm.

As for Bioware? I don't have issue with their stories. They involve individual characters with their own preferences. While I wish they would be more inclusive and involve more options, they are not making blanket statements about an entire gender.

You? Are. And that is what I have problems with.

Males do the providing and protecting in MOST animal species. I did not say all. You gave me some of the rare occurrences where it does not occur. Try again. Your evidence is anecdotal at best.

Males do the providing and protecting in MOST animal species. I did not say all. You gave me some of the rare occurrences where it does not occur. Try again. Your evidence is anecdotal at best.

The irony of calling my evidence anecdotal when you haven't even bothered to provide references is astounding. That, however, is besides the fact. The fact is women are not baby factories, and the sad truth that some people say they are is the problem.

The irony of calling my evidence anecdotal when you haven't even bothered to provide references is astounding. That, however, is besides the fact. The fact is women are not baby factories, and the sad truth that some people say they are is the problem.

Until men in our media are portrayed as more than bumbling fools playing opposite of the "smart and down to earth female" in commercials and television shows, until men are presented as more than just expendable tools in service to women and society as OUR only role is when I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and dismiss anything you deem as a stereotyping women.

Women have access to birth control more today than EVER before in society yet according to the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/unintendedpregnancy/ unplanned pregnancies are 1 out of every 2. It is the highest it has ever been in the history of the USA period.

It appears to me that women WANT to be baby factories. If not then explain to me why our country has such a high unintended pregnancy rate with such a ready supply of birth control.

It appears to me that women WANT to be baby factories. If not then explain to me why our country has such a high unintended pregnancy rate with such a ready supply of birth control.

Lack of education regarding birth control availability, public shaming of women attempting to obtain family planning services, and need I mention unintended pregnancies due to rape?

My primary problem remains that you are taking things you see with some females in some species, twisting them, and stating them as facts encompassing the entire female gender.

Lack of education regarding birth control availability, public shaming of women attempting to obtain family planning services, and need I mention unintended pregnancies due to rape?

My primary problem remains that you are taking things you see with some females in some species, twisting them, and stating them as facts encompassing the entire female gender.

Nature is nature baby. Fight it all you want.

Brittaany_Banks,

To say that women’s bodies typically are capable of carrying a pregnancy to term (when they're the right age), whereas men’s bodies aren’t… that’s a statement about biology.

But to say that women are baby factories is a political statement ( or even worse, a religious statement to many).

That’s the point you don’t seem to get.

Edited by markcymru

according to the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/unintendedpregnancy/

"WANT to be baby factories"? here's how that website you cited above defines unintended pregnancies: "live births to women who did not want to get pregnant when they did".

And as for the high rate, here's who that website says are most likely to have unintended pregnancies:

• Unmarried women.

• Black women.

• Women with less education or income.

Access to contraception and contraceptive advice is political too, in case you haven't been paying attention

"WANT to be baby factories"? here's how that website you cited above defines unintended pregnancies: "live births to women who did not want to get pregnant when they did".

And as for the high rate, here's who that website says are most likely to have unintended pregnancies:

• Unmarried women.

• Black women.

• Women with less education or income.

Access to contraception and contraceptive advice is political too, in case you haven't been paying attention

Most likely. Not limited to. Try again.

And only a FACTORY OWNER would want exclusive rights to its own product even at the expense of other factory owners desires

Edited by Brittaany_Banks

Most likely. Not limited to. Try again.

And only a FACTORY OWNER would want exclusive rights to its own product even at the expense of other factory owners desires

When did either of us say we were talking about every case of unintended pregnancies?

As for your second statement, children are more than products. Those who create them are more than factory owners. If you honestly think children are nothing but products, I pity you.

Women themselves use children as products. Products to extract wealth from men, products to extract wealth from taxpayers, leverage in family court to gain custody of children. Don't sit there and !@#$%^& tell me women do not see children as their "product", or consider themselves the "owner".

Children according to women are faceless, worthless "things" when it comes to reserving abortion rights, yet are to be considered human when it benefits women like in the aforementioned cases I made light of.

I'm done with you. Your hipocrasy is dizzying.

This is why we can't have nice things. What the h***.. no seriously... what... the... h***.