Antiquated Forum

Diefexor

Please update your forums. They are in desperate need of a revamp.

The forums are frustrating to use which is probably why there is such low forum participation.

There is no way to tell which threads and posts are valuable. It is not easy to tell who can be trusted for information and who is ignorant or trolling.

There needs to be a community scoring system where productive and insightful posts can be highlighted or ranked.

It would also be nice to implement some sort of post tracking system so you are notified you have been replied to or upvoted.

These forums are not interactive and dead. Should probably develop a better platform which increases participation and quality. I guarantee new and returning players are put off by this forum.

Then build your own functioning forum using Wordpress / PhP Nuke or your tool of choice and invite EA to examine it for how to copy such a wireframe model. Simply kvetching about it does not direct or focus attention. Build it for yourself, with everything you'd possibly want a forum to be, and show to it to them.

Maybe they'll like it.

Then build your own functioning forum using Wordpress / PhP Nuke or your tool of choice and invite EA to examine it for how to copy such a wireframe model. Simply kvetching about it does not direct or focus attention. Build it for yourself, with everything you'd possibly want a forum to be, and show to it to them.

Maybe they'll like it.

How did you type this, then read it, and still post it.

If I don't like the forum I should build my own or quit "kvetching about it?" How is that even a thought process?

Or they could use their considerable resources and pay somebody to create a robust forum that boosts participation and makes it easier to find useful information.

Forums are fine, i've been here the whole time. They are not being used because the subscriber population is at an all time low. This should improve with 6.0 if the expansion is well received. Stop complaining to just complain, if we did have that feature I would surely downvote this post. Thanks :D

There is nothing in this forum you would improve? nothing?

Sometimes in the past I would get locked out of the forums, it would bug out making it so that I could access my account info, but I was unable to post on the forums lol. It seemed to not recognize me as logged in, when in fact I clearly was logged in by my forum name being shown as the logged in user. Really annoying whatever it is that causes that.

Even if you made improvements to the forums, I don't see how that would help the population though, and that's why participation is not at a high level here imo.

I think it's possible other social media platforms are used due to how these forums are moderated, too. People probably use other platforms for more "colorful" discussions which simply are not possible to have here.

Also, some form of favoritism does exist here which causes some posters to be oppressed, I mean "warned" when they speak too frankly to other posters.

Fragile egos and feelings and all, people love reporting others and the mods seem all too happy to smite the offensive with very little reason to other than because someone else cried they were insulted. Truth be told, I actually find the whole process of how the forums are moderated insulting.

This shows an amazing lack of self-awareness. The only toxic posts in this thread thus far are yours.

You really aren't doing anything to get people on your side.

Fair enough.

It would be nice if i could upvote your post. Others probably would also. This would make it easy for people to see which ideas or information are worthwhile.

A better use case would be a discussion on class mechanics where people with more knowledge or correct information could be upvoted.

This isn't some crazy idea. Most games and forums have a ranking system to make it easier to navigate. I don't believe in the down vote system because its redundant. Bad ideas simply do not get upvoted.

The low pop of the forums, is probably because only subscribers can post on here . And most of them, are busy playing the game .

Honestly, the forum isn't awful . Well not unless you find worse, Ubisoft Assassin Creed Odyssey forum for exemple..is worse . Getting kicked and forced to login every 10min ? check . Getting peoples from others country to login in your account and get sent a code with a '''if this wasnt you, please change your password for the 1,000,000,000,0000 times..cose we are too lazy to fix the hole they keep using to enter your account'' .

More peoples ? BW closed the old BSN, cose they don't want to chit chat . That's why they are active on Twitter and others places . They get to post and it goes fast enough...they get an echo of the negatives stuff . They don't get to see it...read it...moderate it...get hurt by it .

EA doesnt seem to want more peoples in here, or they would've poured more money . As it is, they are working with a skeleton crew, they never ban offenders for good, and they arent gonna fix squat cose..its fragile .

Is the forum old ? Sure..

could it use a face lift ? Everything could use one of those......:p starting with the game itself .

Fair enough.

It would be nice if i could upvote your post. Others probably would also. This would make it easy for people to see which ideas or information are worthwhile.

A better use case would be a discussion on class mechanics where people with more knowledge or correct information could be upvoted.

This isn't some crazy idea. Most games and forums have a ranking system to make it easier to navigate. I don't believe in the down vote system because its redundant. Bad ideas simply do not get upvoted.

Yeah I think this would be a fun thing to see. Too bad they didn't start it from years back when the drama really flowed on the forums, especially when the PVPers got to pulling epeens out.

Having been on forums that have the ability to upvote or have rankings ... being able to upvote something doesn't necessarily mean that the post/topic that's being upvoted is "worthwhile". It's entirely subjective what one finds worthwhile or not. Someone with a high forum ranking doesn't necessarily mean they're trustworthy. They'd also have to remove the ability to downvote because trolls would downvote a post/topic just to troll.

I'm not actually against a change in the forums but I also don't see that it's particularly necessary.

I mean, there is a SWTOR subreddit, with precisely that mechanic. I get where you are coming from, but not every platform needs to be the same. That way, choice between them is meaningful. :)

I'm not actually against a change in the forums but I also don't see that it's particularly necessary.

Of like mind. I've only been here since July of 2013, but i don't recall in that time any great changes to the forum, except maybe the addition of the extra smilies, and in all that time, I somehow never felt I was somehow laboring under a deficient means to express my ideas here.

I go to the SWTOR Reddit forums sometimes and honestly it's been pretty good there lately. People show off their Merchandise, or Art they've created (Thats alot), or some ask Questions, those usually have a number of replies. Seeing the Rage Fests and Insult Competitions of before just doesn't exists there anymore, not that I've seen atleast.

As for here, I really prefer the format here and at times, Questions are asked and usually they're answered (more so then before). Really no need for the post up & down vote system if somebodies post or thread is disliked for whatever reason there seems it's always possible to simply post why. Alot of the people I used to run with ingame, guildies or traded posts are/were here. I like the SWTOR forums better; it's not perfect, but what is?

I don't believe in the down vote system because its redundant. Bad ideas simply do not get upvoted.

It's not redundant, because it allows people (er, voters) to distinguish between the good, the bad, and the merely "meh" among posts. There are, however, other reasons to oppose downvote systems, notably the inability to distinguish between "downvoted because the voter didn't like the post" and "downvoted because the voter didn't like the poster" and "downvoted because the voter is a serial downvote-troll".

Please update your forums. They are in desperate need of a revamp.

The forums are frustrating to use which is probably why there is such low forum participation.

On another forum I use we have just been forcibly converted to the Tapatalk platform.

These forums are haven of functionality and sanity to use compared to that.

I don't find these forum even remotely frustrating to use.

The way to work out which posts are "valuable" to me is to read them and remember. If you can't / won't do that I doubt a forum revamp is going to help you.

All The Best

I particularly like that this forum is a classic forum. The Swtor Reddit is horrible for me. I refuse to even sign up on Reddit. And the voting option only causes complications and bad feelings. Imagine certain people here being allowed to downvote posts. :eek: Better not. :D

It's not so difficult to find out which forumers are helpful, which are neutral, which are haters, which are whiteknights, which are trolls etc. Especially nowadays with just a handful of active posters left. Which is imho the main reason why nothing much is happening anymore. Reflection of the situation in the game. Small amount of active players, compared to the past. Let's see what 6.0 does about it. Currently I don't have my hopes up.

Regarding the importance of topics: That can also be found out quite easily: Does the topic stay on page 1 and get more than just a handful replies? Then it's relevant. Overall, I prefer to judge and think about things for myself. I don't need a computer system to tell me what thread is good and what poster is hateful. ;)

I particularly like that this forum is a classic forum. The Swtor Reddit is horrible for me. I refuse to even sign up on Reddit. And the voting option only causes complications and bad feelings. I don't need a computer system to tell me what thread is good and what poster is hateful. ;)

I think these are the best points.

I despise Facebook, I don't use Reddit, I don't use Twitter, I just find these platforms subversive and in my mind they have only served to cause regression in human socialization.

I mean people get their feelings hurt enough on these forums without any sort of ego feeding social media platform to build people up or tear people down.

I also don't need other people's vote to direct me to what I should or should not read I prefer judging what I read and coming to my own conclusion as to how useful or helpful a post is.

It wouldn't change how I post, or what I like to read on these forums so for me an update to how the forums work here wouldn't be useful or helpful to me.

The only interest I'd have in it would be to watch how people behave with such a system in place. I am sure if it worked like Twitter or Facebook the forums would be worse than they are now, from a social standpoint.

I particularly like that this forum is a classic forum. The Swtor Reddit is horrible for me. I refuse to even sign up on Reddit. And the voting option only causes complications and bad feelings. Imagine certain people here being allowed to downvote posts. :eek: Better not. :D

It's not so difficult to find out which forumers are helpful, which are neutral, which are haters, which are whiteknights, which are trolls etc. Especially nowadays with just a handful of active posters left. Which is imho the main reason why nothing much is happening anymore. Reflection of the situation in the game. Small amount of active players, compared to the past. Let's see what 6.0 does about it. Currently I don't have my hopes up.

Regarding the importance of topics: That can also be found out quite easily: Does the topic stay on page 1 and get more than just a handful replies? Then it's relevant. Overall, I prefer to judge and think about things for myself. I don't need a computer system to tell me what thread is good and what poster is hateful. ;)

Ditto.

It should also be noted that if I want information regarding the game … or how it should be played... I should be able to find that HERE ! (not relying one someone else to do the job … so to speak).

The idea behind the whole up/downvote thing is to outsource the process of forming an opinion to the hivemind. I am not a fan of that, popularity contests, and ego stroking. Post ratings serve that purpose at least as often as they serve for separating wheat from chaff, as it were.

Read the whole thread if the topic is important to you, and make up your own mind. Spend a while around the community and you'll start seeing who's worth paying attention to and who you are better off ignoring. And there's always reddit, as others have suggested.

The idea behind the whole up/downvote thing is to outsource the process of forming an opinion to the hivemind. I am not a fan of that, popularity contests, and ego stroking. Post ratings serve that purpose at least as often as they serve for separating wheat from chaff, as it were.

Read the whole thread if the topic is important to you, and make up your own mind. Spend a while around the community and you'll start seeing who's worth paying attention to and who you are better off ignoring. And there's always reddit, as others have suggested.

I agree .. save the part about reddit. For me personally I just don't like it ! ( just a personal like / dislike opinion).

This shows an amazing lack of self-awareness. The only toxic posts in this thread thus far are yours.
That is not actually true. He responded to someone who accused him of "complaining to complain". Considering that the OP actually did describe what he sees as issues and even makes suggestions on how to fix it (in his view), I think that saying he's "complaining to complain" is a rather unfair statement and I would see that as the first toxic comment because it's not constructive and simply an accusation without proper argumentation.

However...

You really aren't doing anything to get people on your side.
This i do agree with. Responding in kind does not help support the case the OP is trying to make.

What I do like is how they have it on the GW2 forums, where next to report and quote there is also the option to mark a post as helpful or a thumbs up. I find that approach better because it focuses on the positive aspects.

Edited by Tsillah