Alarmingly Capricious - My Jedi Knight

Jazulfi

I've returned to the game after a long break, playing my first Jedi Knight, and I don't know any of the story. I sort of assumed I'd be in for some fairly 'goody two-shoes' idealism, but wanted to steer her along as worldly and pragmatic a course as the story would allow.

What I seem to have is a dangerously unstable lunatic. My Knight is as likely to cuddle a pink fluffy rabbit, as slice you in two. Or claim blinky-eyed wonder/confusion about a situation as she is to make a wise-cracking incisive zinger.

I honestly have no idea how to gauge the convo wheel - her comments are totally unpredictable, as far as I can tell. I've tried to avoid using the same button to get the responses I want, but maybe that's what I should be doing?

Anyway, I'm not exactly asking for advice (but any suggestions are gratefully received - always pick '3' - or is she just an a**ehole if you do that?) but more sharing and wondering if other people feel the same way about their female Knights.

I've just landed on Balmorra. I'm kind of filled with fascinated dread about how she's going to deal with Doc.

Edited by Jazulfi

About Doc:

Doc is that variety of dude known as, among other things, a lounge lizard. There's no way you'll miss it. He's really obvious about it from the very first moment you talk to him, when he's just an NPC.

About the JK story:

The entirety of chapter two is the pursuit of an insanely stupid plan with the active cooperation of the player character. It ends with the spectacular, if inevitable and entirely foreseeable, failure of the plan.

The story overall has, I think, the highest death-toll of any of the eight stories, involving as it does the elimination of an entire planet's population. Curiously, it's not the scene that gives the most emotional stress among posters here on the forum. That prize goes to a particular scenario in the Trooper story, involving Sgt Jaxo.

A thought on the F!JK and Doc:

If you follow the romance, it end with the usual talk about future children, and this shows that they haven't considered all the species combinations when writing these sequences. My F!JK is a Miraluka, and she and Doc talk about the possible/probable need to adopt due to them being non-fertile together, but the lore strongly suggests otherwise. I suspect the conversation is divided into "one for humans and cyborgs, one for others". It's like all the main story conversations you have as an Agent if you have Kaliyo out. Lots of NPCs talk about "the Rattataki", and it's a bit weird when there are two Rattatakis, as in my case, and there's no "both of us?" or "which one?" option.

About Doc:

Doc is that variety of dude known as, among other things, a lounge lizard. There's no way you'll miss it. He's really obvious about it from the very first moment you talk to him, when he's just an NPC.

Ah. Yes I see what you mean. This is him for real, is it? Oh well, that's not too bad. He can be like *that* and she can be totally unhinged. She's a bit like one of those creepy children in horror films, who quizzically put their head one side and say, 'Would you like to play dollies?' and then you notice they're holding a dripping axe.

I don't mind if he's just obvious in a cheesy way. There's worse. Corso Riggs gives me the screaming heebie-jeebies. *shudders*

About the JK story:

The entirety of chapter two is the pursuit of an insanely stupid plan with the active cooperation of the player character. It ends with the spectacular, if inevitable and entirely foreseeable, failure of the plan.

The story overall has, I think, the highest death-toll of any of the eight stories, involving as it does the elimination of an entire planet's population. Curiously, it's not the scene that gives the most emotional stress among posters here on the forum. That prize goes to a particular scenario in the Trooper story, involving Sgt Jaxo.

Not gotten that far with my Trooper either but you've piqued my interest. Star Wars does that tho, doesn't it. Genocides all over the place. That and complicated family relationships. A bit like Christmas really.

A thought on the F!JK and Doc:

If you follow the romance, it end with the usual talk about future children, and this shows that they haven't considered all the species combinations when writing these sequences. My F!JK is a Miraluka, and she and Doc talk about the possible/probable need to adopt due to them being non-fertile together, but the lore strongly suggests otherwise. I suspect the conversation is divided into "one for humans and cyborgs, one for others". It's like all the main story conversations you have as an Agent if you have Kaliyo out. Lots of NPCs talk about "the Rattataki", and it's a bit weird when there are two Rattatakis, as in my case, and there's no "both of us?" or "which one?" option.

I've only played a female Agent, and me and Kaliyo are bffs. But Vector. Ah Vector. What *is* going on in your heads. (sic)

I'll simply continue with the 'pin in the phonebook' approach to my Knight's personality. I can't see what else I can do!

Edits: All over. Did I mention I can't write?

Edited by Jazulfi

Well, I don't find it curious. I have absolutely 0 choice to stop the planet destruction, but I could have saved Jaxo. And she was a friend, you know, I even had a little girls night out cinematic, with her. On the other hand, as a player, I don't even remember the JK's destroyed planet's name.

But what is even worse is that with Jaxo, you are even ENCOURAGED, to save her. First, she beg for you to save her, using your friendship as an argument. And your robot companion actually try to convince you to save her in the interests of the Republic, because she is a very precious asset, and greatly more important than the older prisoners.

So if you actually choose the LS choice, you are betraying your friend, maybe lover, AND, you're betraying the Republic.

Which makes the good/moral choice VERY hard.

Edited by Audoucet

Well, I don't find it curious. I have absolutely 0 choice to stop the planet destruction, but I could have saved Jaxo. And she was a friend, you know, I even had a little girls night out cinematic, with her. On the other hand, as a player, I don't even remember the JK's destroyed planet's name.

But what is even worse is that with Jaxo, you are even ENCOURAGED, to save her. First, she beg for you to save her, using your friendship as an argument. And your robot companion actually try to convince you to save her in the interests of the Republic, because she is a very precious asset, and greatly more important than the older prisoners.

So if you actually choose the LS choice, you are betraying your friend, maybe lover, AND, you're betraying the Republic.

I found it easier, partly because, from an RP-lite point of view, while my character had a ... difficult ... relationship with Garza, at least this time following Garza's orders (rescue the 300 prisoners - people forget this) lined up with my vision of my character (relentlessly LS, although five years in carbonite brought out her "new me"...). Also, at that point, I was using Elara, and she prefers saving the 300.

I've only played a female Agent, and me and Kaliyo are bffs. But Vector. Ah Vector. What *is* going on in your heads. (sic)

I'll simply continue with the 'pin in the phonebook' approach to my Knight's personality. I can't see what else I can do!

Edits: All over. Did I mention I can't write?

Another thought on *my* F!JK. As I said before, she's a Miraluka, and this causes oddities in the dialogues(1). On a number of occasions, she's said things like "with both eyes open" when talking about herself. Um. What eyes, exactly, did she have open?

(And further to your thoughts on 'pin in phonebook" approaches to F!JK, this evening, I'll post a link to a picture of mine.)

EDIT:

(1) There are lot of oddities like this when you stray too far from humans and cyborgs. My Agent is a Rattataki, and he regularly hears people meaning Kaliyo when they say to him things like "the Rattataki must wait outside". I'm really disappointed that I can't respond with something like "Which one?" or "Both of us?" or "OK, Kaliyo, go ahead, I'll wait here for you."

Edited by SteveTheCynic

I think the writing is excellent for the most part, even with the odd hiccup as you've described, and I'm very fond of almost all my characters. Bioware doing it's thing.

But I am a bit disappointed in my Knight. She seems just 'broken' in terms of how she's written. Poor Knight.

Edit: or maybe it's an acting prob?

Edited by Jazulfi

I think the writing is excellent for the most part, even with the odd hiccup as you've described, and I'm very fond of almost all my characters. Bioware doing it's thing.

But I am a bit disappointed in my Knight. She seems just 'broken' in terms of how she's written. Poor Knight.

Edit: or maybe it's an acting prob?

Interesting. I didn't seem to have this problem. I played mine as an angel-side action-hero type (currently somewhere in Light IV), with any crazy being reserved for what you might call personal problems (relationships, how she dresses(1), that sort of thing).

But yes, it might be an acting problem. The French VA seems to be a bit calmer than you're implying about the English (language) VA.

(1) I'll provide a link to a picture tonight, but the basic schema is:

* One of the Hedonist tops

* The toothpick head armour

* The Darth Andeddu short-shorts

* Some funky looking boots

* Gloves with bulky arm-parts

* Some wrist-guard or other

* A belt

* All in Black/Deep Red unified dye.

It's about as un-JK as you can possibly imagine, short of actually going around with no clothes at all aside from a belt. Curiously, though, she started in the Visas Marr armour set.

Interesting. I didn't seem to have this problem. I played mine as an angel-side action-hero type (currently somewhere in Light IV), with any crazy being reserved for what you might call personal problems (relationships, how she dresses(1), that sort of thing).

It's about as un-JK as you can possibly imagine, short of actually going around with no clothes at all aside from a belt. Curiously, though, she started in the Visas Marr armour set.

Hee hee she sounds splendid! I decided to give my JK a quirky dress sense too. I've been shopping on the GTN for as many outfits with lights, and she now looks like she regularly attends ravey-dance nights on Nar Shadda or something. I decided she hates brown.

I think the acting is good, but there's too much emotional discrepancy between the choices, and hardly any clue as to which tone you're going to get. So it often sounds as though you're getting dialogue from two completely different people in one conversation.

Maybe I'll get the hang of it. ^^

Edited by Jazulfi

I think the acting is good, but there's too much emotional discrepancy between the choices, and hardly any clue as to which tone you're going to get. So it often sounds as though you're getting dialogue from two completely different people in one conversation.

You are, of course, seeing two (three?) different people's conversations, so that people can play a range of different JKs. I think you're really arguing that they are excessively different, which isn't so far off right.

The issue of the spoken dialogue not really matching the words on the wheel affects all the classes, although the Agent has it the worst - for valid story reasons, some Chapter Two wheels have the same or very similar speech on all three branches even though the written dialogue is very different.

Much depends on how much you want to flesh out the character, with much room for individuality of character as you can have in a game with pre-determined dialogue.

For instance, for my JK Sentinel - she came into the order the stereotypical lightside - yet... she is innocent, and basically was "seduced" by Doc gradually winning her over. She made the LS choice on Tython prologue though - not because of the 2 padawans being in love though, but because they wanted her to lie about it. And she saw lying as more "dangerous" than being "in love" - so she turns them in. Even now, as more "experienced" in the ways of the world, she has a hard time lying - even to save people's feelings. <conversations with Koth for example>. She is a bit less innocent since Ziost - she was one of those who still hoped the Emperor could be redeemed in chapter 3 and so blamed herself for not killing him herself then and there - especially when Scourge said he didn't "feel his death" - until

SOR when she came to realize that who she was up against was his "voice" and not the actual emperor. So she wouldn't have been able to put an end to him there at any rate.

My JK guardian will be a different dilemma when I get to Doc's dialogues, as she's a Sith purebred, and very darkside oriented. She will have to find a way to reject Doc's advances without coming off light-sided <as I intend her to romance a different option come KOTFE>.

My other 2 JKs don't have a problem with Doc because they are male ;-). Haven't played thru the Kira romance yet <one of them never will - he was a pre-made 60>.

But even though both of the above are LS, they still make some choices differently - so that they aren't all vanilla. That's part of what makes the universe interesting. Infinite variety in infinite combinations.... :-) <forgive the ST reference>.

This scene is a little tricky and reminiscent of the final Aris partner scene

Whether you choose Jaxo over the squad or not, the outcome is about the same, as Sgt Jaxo saved would retire and live the rest of her life in remorse. Similar to when you can stop Aris from shooting the agent, but then he lives to thank you for it (if you stopped him of course) ;)

Hee hee she sounds splendid! I decided to give my JK a quirky dress sense too. I've been shopping on the GTN for as many outfits with lights, and she now looks like she regularly attends ravey-dance nights on Nar Shadda or something. I decided she hates brown.

As promised, although a bit delayed because I suck, here is a link to a picture of my F!JK, Tikreva'tarsil

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t491/cynique42/Tikrevatarsil%20portrait.jpg

I have no idea if that name is lore-wise compatible with her being a Miraluka, but I don't care, either.