Grouping should be forced.

Adam_Nox

I'm sure that's the opposite of what people want to hear. Most feel intuitively that would be a step in the wrong direction because of the lack of LFD type tools and such.

Truth is, there would be no need for LFD tool if people couldn't just solo through the entire game. If bioware made it so everyone had to group to move on through the game, that's what people would do. And really the game would be 10x more enjoyable for it.

Now I know some people don't like to group, or don't like to group with people they don't know. That doesn't mean that the genre of online rpgs should suffer like it has. So please hear me out. Of course none of this matters, nothing will change, but I will say my piece anyhow.

When people have to rely on each other, they behave themselves, or they pay the consequence. There's always the downside of being bullied around, but it is well worth having a community. If you don't care about these things, once again the genre shouldn't suffer for your sake.

Secondly, while it seems at times difficult to find a group right now, it's not due to lack of players. That misconception is fueled due to instancing making it seem like there's too few players. The reason is the general antisocial behavior of gamers. Not blaming them. Everyone has their reasons for avoiding others, but many of these same people who won't start groups, and are reluctant to join pugs will also complain about how the game is just a single player rpg.

If either

a: Players had to complete all heroics to progress through story mode

and/or

b: All enemies were moved up a notch in rank (weak/standard to tough, tough to elite, etc).

You'd have to run with others to progress. I especially like B, with automatic quest sharing, and xp bonuses for groups bigger than 3 people. Under such a system, people would group up, be polite and have a lot more fun as they play a role in a group.

Obviously a better loot system is needed, rolling need on stuff that isn't for your class has to go. But otherwise the game would still be easy, and it might actually feel like an online game, maybe even an mmo.

Maybe I'm the only one who isn't having fun just solo'ing everything, if so, carry on. Keep in mind, that the LFD tool didn't solve anything in WoW until they made it cross realm, and then it basically turned into the worst grouping experiences imaginable due to rudeness from people who didn't have to behave.

Just because you want something, doesn't mean everyone does, and should be forced into it. Get a guild, make some friends. If you're sick of playing the game solo, use your social skills instead of asking BW to force people to group with you.

Someone else who misses eq1's Paludal caverns I see ;)

I soloed through EQ with a druid, for the most part. I grouped when I felt like it. Honestly thats how all games -should- be. Giving players the option to choose what they want to do. NO brainer really.

If you want to group then group. If you want to solo then solo. If you want to raid then raid. No one should try and tell another player how they should or shouldn't play a game - they should have the ability to choose a play style that suits them.

Final Fantasy XI proved that forced grouping makes for a garbage game.

Pretty much this.

Having to log in, then spend potentially hours spamming chat looking for a party to do almost *anything* gets really old, really fast.

I dislike anyone who tries to impose over me what i should or should not do , so yeah i dont like your idea at all , let the player chose , i do all heroics because i WANT not because someone thinks they are important and wants me to do it.

the people that played early Vanguard: The Saga of Heroes how great forced grouping was. Sorry bro. I don't want a leveling ideology based on whether people feel like helping me or not.

They definitely need LFD for sure. I am betting that i'm not only one passing up the 4 player flashpoints on some of the planets because I don't feel like spamming chat for an hour.

I am against an LFG channel. What they have is brilliant. I like the instanced zone. If they add a LFG channel good luck having your request seen through the "Buy gold from me" spam.

Just do LFD. Those that play for the social aspect of MMOs can just join a guild.

Edited by Chosenxeno

This is why some games are starting to do dynamic open grouping. e.g. Rift, GW2. It's the best compromise between forced grouping, and players soloing through the whole game.

I remember the early days of EQ and DAOC, and yeah, forced grouping had some huge advantages, but I just don't think it would work well in today's market. So, you can either just make the whole game soloable, or start getting creative about how to put the multiplayer back in MMOs. Preferably, in a way that doesn't need to be forced.

Just my experience, but I've never had any problems just using LFG and general chat. Then again, I always say, "anyone up for (heroic or flashpoint)" rather than the generic "LFG..."

Also part of a guild...and sometimes two of us will find two others to run a flashpoint.

Only once have I never been answered by anyone...usually I get a group going within 5-10 minutes. I've never had any rude people (some clueless players, but not rude) along, and I've done all of the flashpoints at least once and most of the heroics on each planet.

I've really never understood the complaining about using general chat for grouping...again, that's just my experience...

The key I think is just being sociable and willing to take a step out and brave the dangerous tides of general chat...

The problem with forced grouping is that at the higher levels, it can take an extraordinary amount of time to get a group together to progress. FFXI suffered from this, to the point that they eventually created a level-synch system, where your level would scale down to others so you could effectively group together.

Let me guess you got to level 10 then gave up and left?

FFXI was a horrible game. UI was bad, environments were bland, and you had to have a full party to do ANY content. Take a look at all of the MMO's that had forced grouping. What do they all have in common? They are all no longer running.

Let me guess you got to level 10 then gave up and left?

Actually, up to level 10 soloing was an option. And there were like four quests to do! Joy! My character actually had some sort of storyline to follow for a very short time.

Then I stood around in Valkurm and had crabs brought over for me to slash at.

Then I stood around in Qufim and had wights brought over for me to slash at.

Then I stood around in Kazham and had mandragoras brought over for me to slash at.

I think my next step was going to some sort of nest and stand around while having caterpillars brought over for me to slash at.

Somehow the idea bored me and I quit.

OP you claim that the genre should not suffer because some ppl don't like to group. well its a trend that has been happening for a while now, and it is a growing trend. ppl do like to play solo. but your wrong if you think ppl that play solo don't like to group, ppl just like the option to play how they want when they want.

i'm quite happy playing my story on my own. and playing multi-player content with a group , i don't want to play other ppls story aswell. if some was really stuck at a boss i would help. but other than that its their story. i got my own.

but the real point is BW would lose a lot of subs if they made main story quests to hard to solo. this whole game is a try at a new direction for MMOs. do not be surprised if GW2 is also solo freindly. to capture a wider audience MMOs need to cater for a wider variety of users

the people that played early Vanguard: The Saga of Heroes how great forced grouping was. Sorry bro. I don't want a leveling ideology based on whether people feel like helping me or not.

They definitely need LFD for sure. I am betting that i'm not only one passing up the 4 player flashpoints on some of the planets because I don't feel like spamming chat for an hour.

I am against an LFG channel. What they have is brilliant. I like the instanced zone. If they add a LFG channel good luck having your request seen through the "Buy gold from me" spam.

Just do LFD. Those that play for the social aspect of MMOs can just join a guild.

if u think of it this way this game is totalllly social based is why u can level ur social points and levels to get special gear as u lvl ur social rank up which is why its nice to have grps doing quests not to mention o we need to kill 45 of same thing why dont pple group up to get it done cause seriously its a ***** waiting for respawns to spawn. but i do understand the entire thing on pple rollin need for like no reason on everything.

OP you claim that the genre should not suffer because some ppl don't like to group. well its a trend that has been happening for a while now, and it is a growing trend. ppl do like to play solo. but your wrong if you think ppl that play solo don't like to group, ppl just like the option to play how they want when they want.

i'm quite happy playing my story on my own. and playing multi-player content with a group , i don't want to play other ppls story aswell. if some was really stuck at a boss i would help. but other than that its their story. i got my own.

but the real point is BW would lose a lot of subs if they made main story quests to hard to solo. this whole game is a try at a new direction for MMOs. do not be surprised if GW2 is also solo freindly. to capture a wider audience MMOs need to cater for a wider variety of users

wanna play how u want? its called world of warcraft for a reason=P they made it soo damn easy u can solo it all but the new 5 mans and raid.

Final Fantasy XI proved that forced grouping makes for a garbage game.

This. logging in after work and spending my entire evening of gametime trying to find a group because that was the only way to advance in the game was the worst design ever.

Requiring players to group for everything won't force them to group, it will force them to unsub when they become frustrated at not being able to progress.

Actually, up to level 10 soloing was an option. And there were like four quests to do! Joy! My character actually had some sort of storyline to follow for a very short time.

Then I stood around in Valkurm and had crabs brought over for me to slash at.

Then I stood around in Qufim and had wights brought over for me to slash at.

Then I stood around in Kazham and had mandragoras brought over for me to slash at.

I think my next step was going to some sort of nest and stand around while having caterpillars brought over for me to slash at.

Somehow the idea bored me and I quit.

then how are u a digital download vip? since you quit soo damn easily?remember the wow video of killing boars just to lvl to max?=P