Warning on high population servers

StephenReid

I'll start of with "I like this game, I really do". I have found that compared to Vanilla WoW (started playing the first month it was out) that I like SWTOR more. I had a TON of fun in Vanilla WoW.

Even though I like this game a lot. My server that says "STANDARD" on it has LESS people than a low pop server on WoW. I feel like im on a dead server. I would like to transfer to a server that there is more than one line of chat in an hour. I go into the Republic Fleet and most of the time there are only 30 people there. I had more chat activity (person to person interaction) on a Low Pop server on WoW. the GTN has almost no items to pick from let alone buy.

I just want to get my toon on a server that has people on it.

Lmao nice job bumping a completely worthless thread now that this has been resolved.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I like this game a lot. My server that says "STANDARD" on it has LESS people than a low pop server on WoW. I feel like im on a dead server. I would like to transfer to a server that there is more than one line of chat in an hour. I go into the Republic Fleet and most of the time there are only 30 people there. I had more chat activity (person to person interaction) on a Low Pop server on WoW. the GTN has almost no items to pick from let alone buy.

I just want to get my toon on a server that has people on it.

I think this has something to do with how low Bioware decided to limit the number of players per server.

a friend from my server went through some trouble to compile these numbers.

http://dulfy.net/2012/02/24/some-numerical-population-data-for-swtor-servers/

you can see from the sample, that even on a high pop (the highest, in fact) server like Harbinger, the server pop is nowhere near the guestimated 10k/server number originally thrown around by a lot of people.

i think that's why it feels empty most of the time.

I think this has something to do with how low Bioware decided to limit the number of players per server.

a friend from my server went through some trouble to compile these numbers.

http://dulfy.net/2012/02/24/some-numerical-population-data-for-swtor-servers/

you can see from the sample, that even on a high pop (the highest, in fact) server like Harbinger, the server pop is nowhere near the guestimated 10k/server number originally thrown around by a lot of people.

i think that's why it feels empty most of the time.

Wow those numbers are low. Maybe they are running multiple servers on one box, until they get more people and then move it to at least one server per box or even a few in-game zones to a single box to allow for higher pop per server.

Wow those numbers are low. Maybe they are running multiple servers on one box, until they get more people and then move it to at least one server per box or even a few in-game zones to a single box to allow for higher pop per server.

it goes back to my main complaint about BW and their release of SWTOR - it was too console oriented.

i've never once seen fleet pop go above 300 on imp side, on Harbinger (one of the original, one of the ones hard capped).

if the most heavily populated location, on the highest pop server, does not have more than 300 players during prime time (8pm), it's hard to imagine there being more than a couple thousand players max on the server.

2000 players isn't exactly massive... :o

A couple points and not refuting any info above. I recently re-rolled from the 2nd-least populated realm to the 5th most-populated. The difference is amazing. There were over 100 on Korriban on a Monday night. It approached the numbers I remember of the starting areas when WoW was really hopping. Fleet had around 300 if I remember.

That being said I can't imagine where they would hide 10k. I might get claustrophobic :p.

No, that game didn't have server transfers either the first couple months.

They also didn't suffer from as many dead servers two months in, in fact they were constantly GAINING people unlike this game.

SWTOR : Yet another pretender, now with light sabers

They should update this to Canderous Ordo. :) Meaning, leave your standard/light server and come join us on CO! Insane population right now, the last of the Very Heavy / Full servers.

Best move I made in this game switching to a very populated server.

Edited by evoleye

They also didn't suffer from as many dead servers two months in, in fact they were constantly GAINING people unlike this game.

SWTOR : Yet another pretender, now with light sabers

I don't remember the count but I think "they" only launched on first day retail with 12 servers. I know the number was pretty small. Of course they added servers pretty quick on a fairly regular basis. Some of this was not directly observed by me since I didn't start until Jan '05.

It was a common theme amongst quite a few I knew to re-roll on new servers. I remember day 1 of Dark Iron, 800+ queue, estimated 45+ min wait. Then the crashes, loot bugs, falling through zeppelins. Despite that I liked the game then. In BW's case they simply started with too many servers. Probably worse than starting with too few.

I don't remember the count but I think "they" only launched on first day retail with 12 servers. I know the number was pretty small. Of course they added servers pretty quick on a fairly regular basis. Some of this was not directly observed by me since I didn't start until Jan '05.

It was a common theme amongst quite a few I knew to re-roll on new servers. I remember day 1 of Dark Iron, 800+ queue, estimated 45+ min wait. Then the crashes, loot bugs, falling through zeppelins. Despite that I liked the game then. In BW's case they simply started with too many servers. Probably worse than starting with too few.

I thought this. Servers which even just seem like they are more populated are more fun to play on. That's why I can't wait for when I get to transfer to A-P servers in April or whenever it is. It's more because the population is concentrated in these few servers than the dramatically reduced latency, although that'd be great too for pvp.

• 3 weeks later...