AP vs Pyrotech in 5.6

garrettstone

Like the title says what do you guys think? the pyrotech is apparently capable of putting down more dps at the cost of some utility. But, apparently they changed some of the utilities so that pyro brings some more to the table. Also the AP rotation is piss easy and while the pyrotech rotation isnt hard by any means it is more complitcated. So, what do you guys think for pve and ops which spec is more viable AP or pyro?

Now that Pyrotech has access AoE damage reduction it's in a lot better shape for PvE in my opinion. It can put out quite a lot of AoE damage and beats AP in sustained. That said AP still has a lot better burst so it really depends on what the specific fight requires which one would be better. For PvP you're probably best of going AP if you insist on going pt dps, though perhaps you're better served picking another class if you want to dps in PvP.

I enjoy Pyrotech and haven't had trouble clearing HM content with it, but I was thinking of getting to AP, because it has a little bit more damage reduction than Pyro. That being said, as long as you take the utility that reduces AoE damage by 30% either spec should play just fine. Pyro is fairly easy to learn and put out big numbers.

If you're going to end up in NiM you will probably need to know both and in HM it could be useful to know both.

As far as choosing one, since the armoring is fairly close, I would try out both parsing on a dummy and maybe a few FPs until you find which one you like more. After that you can easily fine tune the armor with alacrity and crit augs.