Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

[PvE] The Mercenary / Commando Healing Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
[PvE] The Mercenary / Commando Healing Guide

Cody-licious's Avatar


Cody-licious
12.30.2013 , 08:40 AM | #21
This is a really well-written, comprehensive introductory guide for beginners to Merc Bodyguard healing -- would thoroughly recommend anyone new to this advanced class to read this for some good insights.

As a suggestion if you're looking for more work(!), you might want to give some thought to creating perhaps an additional (separate?) guide with practical advice for the End/Elder game content -- not just gearing, but coping with some of the specific Operation content.

Otherwise job well done!
55 Mercenary Bodyguard 53 Powertech Pyro
55 Sniper Marksman 55 Operative Concealment 55 Scoundrel Sawbones
55 Sage Seer 51 Shadow Kinetic 55 Assassin Darkness
55 Guardian Vigilance 53 Marauder Carnage

Rambeezy's Avatar


Rambeezy
12.30.2013 , 01:51 PM | #22
My crit preference of 250-300 comes from a pure maxed output stand point. From what I've seen with crit ratings that are higher than 350 and crit ratings that are lower than 150, you have a much harder time sustaining high end hps. This is mostly because of RNG (not enough crit and you are waiting for crits; too much crit and you're waiting for high end crits.) When your crit rating is between 250-300, you have the most ideal balance of power and crit to ensure that your heals are consistent through fights, thus diminishing RNG and raising sustained.

Hockaday's Avatar


Hockaday
12.30.2013 , 07:09 PM | #23
Thank you for including stats. I'm interested in how the higher crit rating experiments will result.
The Empire is not evil, and the Republic is not good...it is all a matter of opinion.
Nerf Hungering! It's too OP.=Bartle Test Results:= CE VIP
{Reward-Driven 85%} {Exploratory -60%} {Physical 32%} {Thoughtful -26%} {Social -60%} {Competitive 100%}

Orderken's Avatar


Orderken
12.31.2013 , 06:06 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Rambeezy View Post
My crit preference of 250-300 comes from a pure maxed output stand point. From what I've seen with crit ratings that are higher than 350 and crit ratings that are lower than 150, you have a much harder time sustaining high end hps. This is mostly because of RNG (not enough crit and you are waiting for crits; too much crit and you're waiting for high end crits.) When your crit rating is between 250-300, you have the most ideal balance of power and crit to ensure that your heals are consistent through fights, thus diminishing RNG and raising sustained.
I don't disagree with your amount of Critical. There are sound reasons for a healer to favor Power over Critical when the expected output will be close, as would be the case with your amount of Critical. But the details of your post are incorrect.

1. Peak and sustained output are achieved with the figures for Critical that I provided. This is an inescapable consequence of SWTOR's formula.

2. A small difference in Critical isn't a contributing factor to a Mercenary|Commando's failure to sustain high HPS. Slightly less Power barely reduces the healing done by any of our abilities.

3. Regarding RNG, (a) it's trumped by the number of heals (500+) that you provide over the course of a boss fight, and (b) though it might be tempting to blame it, for example, when you've just come up short while trying to keep up a tank, nudging your Critical chance up or down won't reliably change that outcome.

Note, too, that the amounts of Critical that I said were ideal already favor Power over Critical for each of our important healing abilities. For example, for 5 Surge Enhancement I said that 420 Critical is ideal. 420 is a weighted average. 35 Critical is ideal for Rapid Shots|Hammer Shots; 279 Critical is ideal for Jet Boost|Concussion Charge; and 440 or higher Critical is ideal for all of our other healing abilities, which are the important ones.
Orderken, <Hates You>, Prophecy of the Five

Guides and Model for Healing
Sorcerer / Sage / Mercenary / Commando / Operative / Scoundrel

ialyxxiieee's Avatar


ialyxxiieee
01.02.2014 , 02:20 AM | #25
I Have 650 crit rating and have all other stats in alacrity and surge, what would you say to that ?

Surge 73%)
37% Crit
rest into alacrity ..

I doubt taking 250-350 crit rating and putting it into power would make any noticeable difference.
Prosperity Makes Monsters,Adversity Makes Men
Vesanne 55 Kinetic Combat55 Balance
"That was close, I almost surrendered completely to peace and pacifism, How repundant" - HK47

NeNiMel's Avatar


NeNiMel
01.02.2014 , 06:21 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by ialyxxiieee View Post
I Have 650 crit rating and have all other stats in alacrity and surge, what would you say to that ?

Surge 73%)
37% Crit
rest into alacrity ..

I doubt taking 250-350 crit rating and putting it into power would make any noticeable difference.
I would never go that high on my critical rating, but that is mostly because of personal preferences in my playstyle.
The math shows that the critical rating I quiet flexible, so too much or too little critical rating will not change the total output very much. See Orderkens calculations!
I prefer to run with a little less critical than the ideal amount. The reason for this is as stated earlier that, I prefer constant higher heals over more frequent critical heals.

Regarding surge and alacrity, I like to stack these in equal amounts, so I use five gear pieces with surge and five pieces with alacrity. When a new gear tier arrives, I will properly change one of the surge pieces with a alacrity piece.
A T M E A || < R A G N A R O K >
T H E . R E D . E C I L P S E

Orderken's Avatar


Orderken
01.02.2014 , 10:36 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by ialyxxiieee View Post
I Have 650 crit rating and have all other stats in alacrity and surge, what would you say to that ?

Surge 73%)
37% Crit
rest into alacrity ..

I doubt taking 250-350 crit rating and putting it into power would make any noticeable difference.
I agree with everything that NeNiMel wrote in reply.

With 5 Surge Enhancements, having 650 Critical reduces expected output by about 0.23% relative to 420 Critical. Though this reduction is negligible, consistency is helpful when healing. There isn't a sound reason for a healer to exceed the amount of Critical that is mathematically ideal.
Orderken, <Hates You>, Prophecy of the Five

Guides and Model for Healing
Sorcerer / Sage / Mercenary / Commando / Operative / Scoundrel

Pfomo's Avatar


Pfomo
01.09.2014 , 06:21 PM | #28
There are only 2 optimal trees for merc healing none of which is given above. for PVP I would say different then what I'm putting below but for optimal healing as a merc:

39/7/0 will give you the best. I'm sure you will figure out way. Alacrity for a merc healer is a waste you are sacrificing bonus healings and adding alacrity and % of alacrity for a quicker timer? when instead you can just crit/overall heal better then what small amounts of.01 seconds you take off what? healing scan? Kolto is instant..... as is emergency....

just don't do that pve build its ****** and you will need cleanses in most raids in some form or another sometimes yeah you can live without and live through but most things one boss here or there has something you can cleanse....

also just don't do alacrity unless you have to period.... you want to argue I'm on bastion server Pfomo is my merc on most days and been a merc healer since beta and will always be. I'll blow any other merc healer out of the water with my build verses this one hands down.

NeNiMel's Avatar


NeNiMel
01.10.2014 , 04:56 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Pfomo View Post
There are only 2 optimal trees for merc healing none of which is given above. for PVP I would say different then what I'm putting below but for optimal healing as a merc:

39/7/0 will give you the best. I'm sure you will figure out way. Alacrity for a merc healer is a waste you are sacrificing bonus healings and adding alacrity and % of alacrity for a quicker timer? when instead you can just crit/overall heal better then what small amounts of.01 seconds you take off what? healing scan? Kolto is instant..... as is emergency....

just don't do that pve build its ****** and you will need cleanses in most raids in some form or another sometimes yeah you can live without and live through but most things one boss here or there has something you can cleanse....

also just don't do alacrity unless you have to period.... you want to argue I'm on bastion server Pfomo is my merc on most days and been a merc healer since beta and will always be. I'll blow any other merc healer out of the water with my build verses this one hands down.
Iím not quite sure how the spec you refer to will look like. But personally I would never spec into Power Shield and Protective Field for PvE content, those two skills are only useful in PvP. Powered Insulators should not be needed if you position yourself correctly, because then you wonít take any damage in the first place. Using point in Cure Mind would just be a waste, because there are no mental debuffs in any endgame content at the moment, so this point is better used elsewhere.

Regarding alacrity I have to disagree with you! Alacrity is extremely useful, because it not only reduces cast time, but also the global cooldown, which means that you can throw out more heals during a fight. Alacrity will also increase the heat dissipation rate, so it becomes easier for you to control your heat management.
It is true that Surge rating is more valuable than Alacrity, so long that the total surge rating does not exceed 500, because of the diminishing return. So if you put your entire alacrity/surge budget into surge then the last ~470 point would have been better used in alacrity in my opinion.
A T M E A || < R A G N A R O K >
T H E . R E D . E C I L P S E

Orderken's Avatar


Orderken
01.10.2014 , 01:59 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by NeNiMel View Post
Using point in Cure Mind would just be a waste, because there are no mental debuffs in any endgame content at the moment, so this point is better used elsewhere.
There's another benefit of Cure Mind|Psych Aid worth noting: Cure|Field Aid provides a small heal. For HM Nefra, at least, this benefit should make it worthwhile.

I salute you for replying to Pfomo. Every point that he made is not only incorrect but also absurd, and there's not a single combat log for a "Pfomo" on TORParse, so I assume that his post is a spoof.
Orderken, <Hates You>, Prophecy of the Five

Guides and Model for Healing
Sorcerer / Sage / Mercenary / Commando / Operative / Scoundrel