Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Commando gunnery rotation questions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
Commando gunnery rotation questions

cfcstl
08.17.2017 , 09:45 AM | #1
The opener for the rotation is Grav round, but since there is a cast time, mine is 1.29 sec., why not open with Vortex bolt and Grav round becomes instant? Seems like you are saving time and adding a little more opening damage?

My second question is how to activate supercharged cell. The only way I see to use it is after 10 stacks of supercharge, but that takes time, so how is it in the opening rotation? Was this available before 5.3 or am I missing something?
Refer a friend link (please click) http://www.swtor.com/r/l3zVQg

Jevaruss
08.17.2017 , 11:31 AM | #2
Since grav round is cast before you enter combat, you don't lose time by starting with it. Combat doesn't begin until after you hit the target. (Long as you don't get too close and aggro :P) Using vortex bolt to start means you delay a use of grav round, which delays your building of 5 stacks on high impact bolt, which ends up lowering your initial burst instead.

You build 10 stacks by using med shot 10 times before going into combat.
OG Commando life.

Star Forge, formerly Shadowlands.

cfcstl
08.18.2017 , 07:27 PM | #3
Thanks for the info. I think I see why its done that way on the target dummy.
Refer a friend link (please click) http://www.swtor.com/r/l3zVQg

Simplette
08.19.2017 , 08:10 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by cfcstl View Post
Thanks for the info. I think I see why its done that way on the target dummy.
Its actually a traditional Gunnery rotation. We used "Grav Round" to proc Curtain of Fire and make "Boltstorm" critically hit but with 5.2 the critical proc was removed and only Curtain of Fire just resets Boltstorm cooldown every 8 seconds. But still, you use Grav Round first because it applise armor debuff on target.
Conquerer of Deposer

Pre-nerf post-buff Revanchist

The Izaxchist

LordTurin
08.22.2017 , 08:49 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Simplette View Post
Its actually a traditional Gunnery rotation. We used "Grav Round" to proc Curtain of Fire and make "Boltstorm" critically hit but with 5.2 the critical proc was removed and only Curtain of Fire just resets Boltstorm cooldown every 8 seconds. But still, you use Grav Round first because it applise armor debuff on target.
Grav round does (and did) more than just proc boltstorm. It also, as you noted, puts the armor debuff on the target (very improtant) and builds towards 2 stacks towards your 5 stacks of High impact bolt. If you delay grav round, you are delaying your first high impact bolt, which is definitely a dps loss (on top of the loss of the armor debuff).
Dragonslayer Mitthendil the Revanchist - Mercenary ||
Mitth'raw'nurudo from Beyond - Powertech || Elenmil the Revanchist - Scoundrel
Click this to say thank you if my post was helpful! :
http://www.swtor.com/r/lGKMGB