PTS Offline - 11/9

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

We ended up discovering an issue which caused us to bring PTS offline. We are working on trying to address the issue so we can bring PTS back up this weekend. While you can't login, definitely take some time to read through the various Guild change threads and let us know your thoughts! We are doing everything we can to get PTS back up later this weekend. I will provide updates as I have them, PTS definitely won't be back until the soonest of tomorrow.

Thanks!

-eric

Unfortunately, there is a bug with the newest PTS patch. When installing, the launcher shows the error message "Unable to retrieve patch data. Please check network connection. (300)"

This error is nothing new; it has happened to a couple PTS patches in the past but usually it only affected the German or French files. This time, it looks like the main PTS assets are bugged. The only workaround is to delete the PTS files and download from scratch (roughly 30 GB to download).

For anyone with this error, here is how to fix it:

1. Close the launcher.
  2. Open your SWTOR folder: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic"
  3. Delete the file "assets_swtor_test_main.version"
  4. Open the launcher again, login and switch to PTS.
  5. The launcher should now start the download of Main Assets 1.

To help the devs with debugging, here are the relevant lines from the launcher log:

2018-11-13 20:31:36 INFO Download: http://manifest.swtor.com/patch/assets_swtor_test_main.patchmanifest (159.153.92.50 )
2018-11-13 20:31:37 INFO Manifest Loaded: assets_swtor_test_main, current=293/upcoming=-1/required=295
2018-11-13 20:31:37 INFO [b][color="darkorange"]ManifestState=Download: assets_swtor_test_main, current=293/upcoming=-1/required=295[/color][/b]
2018-11-13 20:31:37 ERROR [b][color="DarkOrange"]Download Error :No download error detected (e300)[/color][/b]
2018-11-13 20:31:37 INFO General Patch manifest state error in retailclient_publictest (e209)
2018-11-13 20:31:37 INFO General Patch manifest state error in retailclient_publictest (e209)
2018-11-13 20:31:37 ERROR Fetch Manifest Failure: General Failure
2018-11-13 20:31:37 INFO Patching end

Edited by Jerba

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

PTS is now available!

If you are receiving the error "Unable to Retrieve Patch Data," hold tight. There is nothing you could do to address this other than reinstall PTS, which we do not recommend just yet. We are working on a solution from our side (but don't expect anything until tomorrow).

Thanks!

-eric

Hey folks,

We ended up discovering an issue which caused us to bring PTS offline. We are working on trying to address the issue so we can bring PTS back up this weekend. While you can't login, definitely take some time to read through the various Guild change threads and let us know your thoughts! We are doing everything we can to get PTS back up later this weekend. I will provide updates as I have them, PTS definitely won't be back until the soonest of tomorrow.

Thanks!

-eric

1. You can Login but no Server for connect. Swap to pts done Play works after we see empty TAB.

2. .Redownload done. yesterday for short moment Server worked. So its Down again

Hey folks,

PTS is now available!

If you are receiving the error "Unable to Retrieve Patch Data," hold tight. There is nothing you could do to address this other than reinstall PTS, which we do not recommend just yet. We are working on a solution from our side (but don't expect anything until tomorrow).

Thanks!

-eric

Any updates on this? Would really prefer not to redownload the PTS...

• Dev Post
Any updates on this? Would really prefer not to redownload the PTS...

Yup, just received an update.

Players who were experiencing the login error can now login into PTS. Upon logging in they will receive the patch as intended.

However, when you close the game and relaunch PTS, it will make you download the patch again. We are investigating why this is happening but in the meantime you should now be able to downlaod and access PTS normally.

-eric

However, when you close the game and relaunch PTS, it will make you download the patch again. We are investigating why this is happening but in the meantime you should now be able to downlaod and access PTS normally.

I believe I figured out the problem. :)

In our raid group we experienced the same thing - the launcher would download and install the same 200 MB patch every time. Afterwards we could start the game and play on the PTS just fine, but everytime we restarted the game, the launcher would have to redownload the same patch.

Our version file (assets_swtor_test_main_version.txt from the Assets folder) has the following contents:

Patch Version 295, Data Version 2001.1.0, Built on Mon Nov 12 18:14:06 2018

However, one player had a different experience. He could login to the launcher and start the game without getting any patch. I asked him to post his version file:

Patch Version 295, Data Version 2001.1.0, Built on Thu Nov 15 11:06:42 2018

As you can see, it has the same version number but it was built on a different date.

I also asked him for his launcher logs, which showed that his launcher had downloaded the patch four times before it stopped doing the patch downloads. So I did the same, I let the launcher download the patch a couple times until eventually I stopped getting the patch and my version file showed it was built on "Thu Nov 15".

It turns out SWTOR uses both Level 3 and Akamai for patch delivery, and the Level 3 CDN has the wrong patch file. In the launcher log, you can see which IP address the patch is downloaded from. And the launcher kept redownloading the patches from Level 3 but as soon as it downloaded the patch from Akamai, it stopped downloading patches.

More precisely, when downloading the patch file: http://cdn-patch.swtor.com/patch/assets_swtor_test_main/assets_swtor_test_main_294to295/assets_swtor_test_main_294to295.z01

• You get the following response headers from the Level 3 CDN:
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Content-Length: 213634917
    ETag: "3001875324"
    Last-Modified: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 19:09:02 GMT

• But the Akamai CDN returns the following response headers:
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Content-Length: 9335
    ETag: "456807191"
    Last-Modified: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 11:32:27 GMT

Note that despite it being the same URL, the file from Akamai is much smaller and has a more recent "last modified" date than the file from Level 3.

To the devs: Please refresh the cache on the Level 3 CDN, then this issue should be fixed.

And to any player who keeps getting the patch: Just open the launcher enough times and eventually it will work.

Edited by Jerba