Massive fps loss

crazybrandonian

Basically I get insane FPS loss when playing swtor, lowering graphic settings doesnt increase fps at all (strang eh?) its consistantly low, its around 40-60 in most zones (wait for it) which may seem good but it seems very stuttery no matter what I do. So far i've tried turning all graphics to lowest/turning off all advanced settings like bloom etc but it literally does nothing.

My fps drops as low as 4.5-10 fps in alot of places both in and out of combat/no players around me.

system specs are

3.4ghz Quad Core / amd 965 black edition

8gig DDR3 1333mhz ram

ATI 6850

Running Skyrim on the same pc in almost max detail without any fps loss at all, anyone know why SWTOR is causing such loss when its clearly not as visually intense?

Edited by crazybrandonian

Basically I get insane FPS loss when playing swtor, lowering graphic settings doesnt increase fps at all (strang eh?) its consistantly low, its around 40-60 in most zones (wait for it) which may seem good but it seems very stuttery no matter what I do. So far i've tried turning all graphics to lowest/turning off all advanced settings like bloom etc but it literally does nothing.

My fps drops as low as 4.5-10 fps in alot of places both in and out of combat/no players around me.

system specs are

8gig DDR3 1333mhz ram

ATI 6850

Running Skyrim on the same pc in almost max detail without any fps loss at all, anyone know why SWTOR is causing such loss when its clearly not as visually intense?

Umm, bad internet connection? :p

You sure your gpu or cpu isn't getting overheated?

system specs are

8gig DDR3 1333mhz ram

ATI 6850

I have an almost identical machine.

AMD 965 Black @ 3.5 Ghz - Runs very cool

8 Gig DDR3 1333 (10600) Gaming Ram - Clocked Correctly & Kept Cool

ATI Radeon HD 5850 - Runs Cool

W7 Home Premium (64 Bit)

650 Watt PSU

Every game I've ever ran plays at max settings with usually 60+ FPS. Sometimes in TOR I'll get 100, other times such as in Imperial Fleet & WZ's I drop to 5-10. I averaged 14 in my last WZ. This game is a 5 star game for me, but FPS loss in a gaming rig is the biggest deal-breaker in the world. I can handle early game bugs and glitches, but WZ's and IF are unbearable. Please advise.

Umm, bad internet connection? :p

You sure your gpu or cpu isn't getting overheated?

I have 40mb optical fiber :/ have 5000kb/s download and 1200kb/s upload speed so I doubt its that. Not overheating either, according to temp controller I have everything is sub under 50 degrees, hottest the cpu has been is 60 degrees and that was due to dual logging.

Edited by crazybrandonian

i have same problem...

athlon x2 - 266

4 gb ram

ati 6850 - 1gb (overclocked)

tempereature while playing is 60-72 (gpu), & ~60 CPU

all game settings to max, except shadows and bloom. vsync off. forced 4xAA

ATI driver 12.1

avg solo and party game fps - 70

avg fps in raid - 12

avg fps in warzones - 12

bad optimization ?

Edited by gradash

I was having similar issue with my Nivida 560ti till i disabled shadows.

Try adding these lines to the client_set tings.ini file and see if that clears up any issues for you.

doShadows = false

doBlobShadows = false

If you're on Vista or Windows 7 look for this file:

C:\Users\YOUR-USER-NAME-HERE\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings\client_set tings.ini

I had the same issues: my fps would drop to a crawl in certain places and the game would basically be unplayable until I restarted my client. I did two things to fix it: First, I forced my NVIDIA anisotropic filtering to 16x (instead of the "application controled" default) and then I made the anisotropic graphics setting on SWTOR to low.

The second thing I did (and the one that made all the difference) was to just turn off shadows. There is something weird about the way they render and they seem to generate a major memory leak. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Swtor has an obvious memoryleak ingame, I have a i7 3.8ghz 1600mghz ddr3 ati 6970 running at 1920x1080 and the game stutters from time to time and often starts running very slow, only cure so far for me has been to quit and reopen the client.