Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Query About the Romance Additions in 5.10

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Query About the Romance Additions in 5.10

xmarcusprimex
10.12.2018 , 04:22 PM | #11

Antonfourteen
10.12.2018 , 04:34 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by xmarcusprimex View Post
That's just silly.
Is it? I noticed you couldn't explain why my point was silly. Is a character sticking to his core personality "silly" to you? That's the thing that everybody remembers about Doc, he's the Jedi Knight's "ladies man" companion. He even flirts with Kira in less than 10 seconds of meeting her on Balmorra lol.

Anyway I'm in no mood for an argument. So let's just agree to disagree.

xmarcusprimex
10.12.2018 , 05:21 PM | #13

Lunafox
10.12.2018 , 05:30 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Antonfourteen View Post
Making Doc bisexual would be like making Han Solo bisexual. They're both the stereotypical smooth-talking womanizers. That's the charm behind their characters and it makes sense for them to stay that way.
I agree, it's not any more acceptable to change an established heterosexual man into something he is not, than it is to force a gay character to be straight and take away their sexual identity. If they make Doc bi, then I'm going to seriously push for Cytharat to be bi as well. We do need more male romanceable force users.

With Nadia and Jaesa, their sexuality is portrayed more vaguely, so it would likely work for them to be turned bi assuming they weren't already.

xmarcusprimex
10.12.2018 , 05:56 PM | #15

JennyFlynn
10.12.2018 , 06:40 PM | #16
There are men who have spent half their life telling everyone that they're straight. Who married, had kids, chased skirts in college (the way a stereotypical straight man would) only to finally come out of the closet to accept and embrace themselves as being bi/gay. There are women who did the expected; got married, popped out kids and played the housewife for twenty years before coming out and embracing a romance with a best friend they'd actually been in love with all along. It does happen and if that can happen in the real world, why can't it in SWTOR? Why would we tell [Companion] "Sorry, you can't be bisexual now because when I met you, you were straight"? Or "You've rivaled Casanova for the past five years, you're not bisexual". You wanna go try and use that argument against someone in your circle who has just found the courage to come out to you?

Now, personally, there are companions I can see it for and others I cannot and no matter what the writers do with them, for me they are straight. Which is fine because how I see my companion, what I do and do not do with my companion, is my business and it doesn't affect anyone's gameplay. My Theron is straight. That isn't me denying his sexuality or his role for a SGR but in my personal gameplay, I only ever date him on female characters. All his interactions in my gameplay, are straight romance orientated. I never see the bisexual side of him. I'm aware he is bisexual or gay for other players and that's just fine because what I do with him, and what they do with him, doesn't interfere with one another.

Anyway, it seems currently, with this 'trial' of converting original LIs to SGR, Bioware is taking it on a case by case basis otherwise they wouldn't have excluded Doc. They likely felt Nadia and Jaesa's romances are ambiguous enough that this can work whereas Doc's isn't. Or it could be they felt lesbian players really do deserve additional options besides just Lana so that player demographic was prioritized. It's a step in the right direction, I like it even though I will never romance either of them myself, and I do hope they'll continue to try and create a further balance so each player, regardless of gender/orientation, has an equal amount of romance opportunities.
--------{---({@ Defiant Devotion | Defying Destiny | SWTOR Prompt Oneshots @}}>---}-------

BlazeTomahawk
10.12.2018 , 07:11 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Antonfourteen View Post
Making Doc bisexual would be like making Han Solo bisexual. They're both the stereotypical smooth-talking womanizers. That's the charm behind their characters and it makes sense for them to stay that way.
Donít think of it as making Han Solo bi, think of it more as revealing Doc to be more like Captain Jack Harkness
Jedi are only allowed to use email if there are no attachments

JennyFlynn
10.12.2018 , 07:12 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by BlazeTomahawk View Post
Donít think of it as making Han Solo bi, think of it more as revealing Doc to be more like Captain Jack Harkness
That is brilliant, well done.
--------{---({@ Defiant Devotion | Defying Destiny | SWTOR Prompt Oneshots @}}>---}-------

PowerJediRanger
10.12.2018 , 07:32 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
I agree, it's not any more acceptable to change an established heterosexual man into something he is not, than it is to force a gay character to be straight and take away their sexual identity. If they make Doc bi, then I'm going to seriously push for Cytharat to be bi as well. We do need more male romanceable force users.

With Nadia and Jaesa, their sexuality is portrayed more vaguely, so it would likely work for them to be turned bi assuming they weren't already.
I think Nadia and Jeasa bieing Bi can work as think Nadia turned out to have been sheltered and romance is new to her so in a way she could have experimented a bit.

Jeasa think her DS part is that she admitted to slept with both men and woman. Ls of her maybe she was Bi from the start as well or something.
"Do or do not, there is no try."

Lunafox
10.12.2018 , 08:00 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by PowerJediRanger View Post
I think Nadia and Jeasa bieing Bi can work as think Nadia turned out to have been sheltered and romance is new to her so in a way she could have experimented a bit.

Jeasa think her DS part is that she admitted to slept with both men and woman. Ls of her maybe she was Bi from the start as well or something.
I agree when it comes to those two. The way they were portrayed with their sexuality being a bit vague, it's different than a womanizer who chased any female that dared to stand still long enough.

I think there would be an outcry if a known gay character was suddenly made straight, I don't understand how trying to make a straight character bi or gay isn't a double standard. It really doesn't matter to me what people do with their toons, so long as I can do what I want with mine, but I'm trying to understand, why one change would be ok and the other not.