KotFE and Beyond -Tying up loose ends. Dangling plot points that should be recognized

ZionHalcyon

This is going to be long, so click away for those with short attention spans.

Oh, and your one warning - SPOILERS will be discussed with flagrant disregard to spoiler tags, so if you don't want to know what happens in the game, click away, you have been warned

With the mystery of Darth Vititae and how he is tied to the new immortal emperor in KotFE, it got me thinking of the game and the many plot points that have been more or less left to dangle.

The hallmark of a good writer is to tie up loose ends so that those who are enjoying your story feel a sense of closure, completion and therefore a further sense of enjoyment.

The hallmark of bad writing is akin to that of pro wrestling, where what happened before can be disregarded or cast aside at the drop of a hat in favor of "oh, I got a new, BETTER idea!", leading to a lack of continuity and lack of attachment to the characters playing their roles. The best stories deliver consistency, because it not only satisfies its readers, but allows for any shakeups to that consistency to have a more dramatic impact in the story, as long as that shakeup is well done and believable given the context of the character.

So for me, this is my list of loose ends in the game (not counting the Ziost lead in, which will be followed up on) - these are things seemingly dropped, but yet are ripe for plot points in KotFE and beyond:

Imperial Agent and Watcher X -

This is an interesting one, because whether you kill him or don't, he seems to help you in act 2, doesn't he? How can that be? Well, there's a good solution. The device he implants you with in your chapter 1 story. To me, Watcher X would be the perfect SWTOR answer to "Ghost in the Shell".

If it were me, my take would be that he somehow implanted his consciousness into the device implanted in you. His motives can be his own, but he obviously wants to see you succeed because it means his own continued existence. He has his agendas, and I think with Scorpio on the ship, a Ghost in the Shell type of Watcher X might at times be able to take over, for an interesting dynamic, and I'd imagine Scorpio would be none too pleased. It would further heighten drama, and even if you did kill him in chapter 1, there's an easy answer - remember the Shroud? He had body doubles. 4 of them I believe. Who's to say this wasn't a "programmed" watcher X body double (or even his original body) programmed to implant his consciousness into you? This sort of thing and the dynamic therein would fit right in with the agent storyline.

Speaking of the Shroud:

All we know about the Shroud is that he spies on both Empire AND Republic, and is a top super spy. Sounds to me (if its not too late), that he'd make a perfect head of intelligence for the Zakuul Empire and the new Emperor. It would allow us to believe that this emperor has been lying in wait all along, monitoring both sides through the Shroud and waiting for both armies to get just weak enough to invade. KotFE can lay to rest the Shroud in later chapters, but his tie in here would make too much sense to pass up on that opportunity.

Children of the Emperor:

Yes, your Consular stopped this and "fixed" the children. But what exactly does being a child of the emperor mean, especially in light of whatever revelation is in store for us with KotFE and relating Vititae and Valkorion? And what happens to Kira Carsen, also a child of the emperor?

The Emperor's Hands

Which emperor do they work for REALLY? I'd say a final showdown is in order.

Marr and the mysterious case of the Isotope 5

In secret, you saved Makeb for Marr for the Empire to mine Isotope 5 to gain not just survival, but advantage in the war against the republic.

And then stuff went down, and that plot point was dropped ENTIRELY. No mention, nada. Nothing.

Here's why its a shame to waste that golden plot point. Because lets say Marr has been secretly amassing a Superpowered Isotope 5 army and navy, then at the end of KotFE, you tie up that plot point with a bow by bringing them all out of hiding, your Outlander being the distraction he needed to come back and lay waste to the Empire of Zakuul, and essentially "save" the galaxy, and thereby installing HIMSELF as Emperor.

That's right, for a game changer, the Sith win, and for a few expansions, we all get to see what it would be like if we were playing "The Sith Empire" rather than 'The Old Republic". However, because this is a Marr-led Empire, it doesn't have the same issues as the one we saw in levels 1-50. Marr is more pragmatic and military driven. He craves Order. He can even be fair, so long as it makes sense and doesn't cross purposes. Marr provides STABILITY. And for a galaxy has seen nothing but war, they might be willing to sell themselves for some stability. Marr might not be all touchy-feely, but I'd imagine for a time, people would like the order he brings, and the non-sith military would LOVE him.

Which brings me to the final plot end I can think of - one intended but changed:

MALGUS.

He wasn't meant to die in the end of False Emperor - you kicked him down a pit so that he could live another day. However, thanks to a hilarious suicide bug, it was changed to kill him outright. So let's play this out - why bringing Malgus back as originally intended? Isn't he just Darth Marr all over again?

That's precisely why it would be so interesting.

If Marr succeeds the way I want him to, then the only way for the Republic to really come back in the face of a stable Sith Empire is if there is some instability. Malgus WAS Marr, but he lacked Marr's pragmatism. Marr had the better long term plan. Imagine Malgus in stasis this whole time, healing since the False Emperor. He emerges from a Kolto Tank finally, and finds out that Marr has achieved what he could not, and without the need for doing what Malgus went through. Imagine how the jealous anger could change him, make him bitter, and out for vengeance.

Malgus is a believable challenger to Marr, and could be the source of a building sith revolt that again feeds into him embracing the "Malgus the Betrayer" moniker and his charisma of getting some sith who long for the "good old wanton destruction days" of the Sith, where in their minds, being sith meant doing whatever the hell you wanted, and screw the Order Marr brings. A "broken" Malgus is a fascinating Malgus.

This would allow the crack for the Republic to finally get a foothold and re-establish itself.

Anyway, those are my takes - thanks for reading!

Edited by ZionHalcyon

Interesting.

I'll be honest, while I enjoy the story, I did it (i.e., leveled) various classes sporadically and I haven't played all of them so I am not as story-saavy as I'd like.

But it is interesting. Isotope-5 and Malgus in particular.

Out of all the plot points, these are the ones really I want to see addressed the most.

A lot can be made out of a Marr led Empire and his Isotope-5 led army. And Malgus, because he was Marr before Marr was Marr, would give him a credible threat and a credible reason for character growth - the jealously, rage, that Mar succeeded in conquering the galaxy where Malgus didn't - I'd imagine would change him, and make him more interesting. It would for certain be a fascinating dynamic.

And also fascinating would be a galaxy led by Marr, with the "Republic" more getting a "Rebel Alliance" feel, only with a backdrop of "who are we fighting against? Why are we fighting? The galaxy is so tired of War that they accept Marr strict but fair rule because it brings order, so then does that mean we're now nothing more than terrorists?"

It brings a whole new moral dilemma to the proceedings that the republic players just haven't had to grapple with - this desire to want to restore what once was, in the face of a galaxy that appears to not want it. Which is also why a credible threat to Marr would be necessary, and rather than introducing yet ANOTHER hiding external threat which can eventually wear thin on players in terms of overall believability, you are taking an existing character who already HAS shown he can be Marr's match from a feel standpoint and give Marr that credible threat, and eventually allow that to be the thing that fractures the Sith Empire enough that it allowed for the "Rebels" to gain a foothold and slowly become "The Republic" once again.

Personally, I think that would make for a hell of a story over several expansions.

Zion, as always VERY interesting ideas, and actually ALL of them could be implemented in KofTE, if we would have 8 class stories again.

Ahh, to se nevrati, pane Havranek...

Anyways, my biggest worries about the new expansion is that is largely seems NOT to have continuation of previous stories and that really puts me on big "hold on".

I am not even sure how do I fee about it, because if it REALLY is completely different game/story, I do not feel actually tempted to play it. I am here for 3,5 years and either we END something or continue. Mid-way seems not working.

Zion, as always VERY interesting ideas, and actually ALL of them could be implemented in KofTE, if we would have 8 class stories again.

Ahh, to se nevrati, pane Havranek...

Anyways, my biggest worries about the new expansion is that is largely seems NOT to have continuation of previous stories and that really puts me on big "hold on".

I am not even sure how do I fee about it, because if it REALLY is completely different game/story, I do not feel actually tempted to play it. I am here for 3,5 years and either we END something or continue. Mid-way seems not working.

The thing is, while it is one story, companions are going to be big again, and also story is said to also include class story elements.

It is through this that the Watcher X stuff could happen, as you don't necessarily need 8 separate class stories to implement all this - it all would be able to be folded into the larger universe as a whole. After all, some of that already stretches 2 classes (JK and JC for Children of the Emperor, for instance).

Edited by ZionHalcyon

.....as you don't necessarily need 8 separate class stories to implement all this - it all would be able to be folded into the larger universe as a whole. After all, some of that already stretches 2 classes (JK and JC for Children of the Emperor, for instance).

sure, sure, I was just referring to the "narrowing the path" of all 8 into one....I know, we do not really need 8, for example I could perfectly live without Smuggler and Bounty Hunter stories, they do not really "belong" to main plots

they said choices will matter ... so i want to see jadus taking over the empire(or in any other cool role) in my IA story:D

Ah Jadus! Another good one, and was considered at one point 2nd most powerful Sith next to the Emperor himself!

True, he was just led off-screen and never killed, else he was put in charge of the Empire and then forgotten about after the start of Chapter 2.

Jadus being another threat to Marr's "empire" in my scenario would also be great - I actually could see him being someone who was pulling the Dread Masters' strings, as they were essentially implementing Darth Jadus's manifesto.

So yes, another challenger to Marr and another loose end to be tied up!

I just want to see Kallig again. I love that dude.

I for one wouldn't mind call-backs to previous important characters. The sith ghosts making an appearance again, should you have kept them, should be hanging around as well.

I for one wouldn't mind call-backs to previous important characters. The sith ghosts making an appearance again, should you have kept them, should be hanging around as well.

And even if you let them go, one stays with you, unless you took the Big LS choice and helped all of them find peace. But then those guys could still pull off Old Ben and give warnings or advice.

On the general topic:

Some loose ends I'd like to see tied up as well- Mako and her "sisters"; Gault and his girlfriend imprisoned on Belsavis; the Voidhound and his/her gangs (why was s/he so surprised on Rishi hearing about them?); What about Crysta Markon and her family, what will go on from there?;

I might have been replaying BH recently, so I don't remember all of the details of the other classes' stories and those loopholes.

And even if you let them go, one stays with you, unless you took the Big LS choice and helped all of them find peace. But then those guys could still pull off Old Ben and give warnings or advice.

On the general topic:

Some loose ends I'd like to see tied up as well- Mako and her "sisters"; Gault and his girlfriend imprisoned on Belsavis; the Voidhound and his/her gangs (why was s/he so surprised on Rishi hearing about them?); What about Crysta Markon and her family, what will go on from there?;

I might have been replaying BH recently, so I don't remember all of the details of the other classes' stories and those loopholes.

Mako and her "sisters" was wrapped up already during the companion story - all her sisters are now dead except her. It was an SIS project that went sideways. Although I suppose Coral can still escape and cause trouble. Hell, the "Mako" you meet 5 years later could actually BE Coral playing the part for some sort of revenge.

Gault though, him and his girl got closure was my impression.

But I do agree that it would be nice to check in on some of the players in the sandbox from time to time, just to create a sense of big galaxy-small world and keep things interesting.

This is going to be long, so click away for those with short attention spans.

Oh, and your one warning - SPOILERS will be discussed with flagrant disregard to spoiler tags, so if you don't want to know what happens in the game, click away, you have been warned

In secret, you saved Makeb for Marr for the Empire to mine Isotope 5 to gain not just survival, but advantage in the war against the republic.

And then stuff went down, and that plot point was dropped ENTIRELY. No mention, nada. Nothing.

Here's why its a shame to waste that golden plot point. Because lets say Marr has been secretly amassing a Superpowered Isotope 5 army and navy, then at the end of KotFE, you tie up that plot point with a bow by bringing them all out of hiding, your Outlander being the distraction he needed to come back and lay waste to the Empire of Zakuul, and essentially "save" the galaxy, and thereby installing HIMSELF as Emperor.

That's right, for a game changer, the Sith win, and for a few expansions, we all get to see what it would be like if we were playing "The Sith Empire" rather than 'The Old Republic". However, because this is a Marr-led Empire, it doesn't have the same issues as the one we saw in levels 1-50. Marr is more pragmatic and military driven. He craves Order. He can even be fair, so long as it makes sense and doesn't cross purposes. Marr provides STABILITY. And for a galaxy has seen nothing but war, they might be willing to sell themselves for some stability. Marr might not be all touchy-feely, but I'd imagine for a time, people would like the order he brings, and the non-sith military would LOVE him.

Which brings me to the final plot end I can think of - one intended but changed:

MALGUS.

He wasn't meant to die in the end of False Emperor - you kicked him down a pit so that he could live another day. However, thanks to a hilarious suicide bug, it was changed to kill him outright. So let's play this out - why bringing Malgus back as originally intended? Isn't he just Darth Marr all over again?

That's precisely why it would be so interesting.

If Marr succeeds the way I want him to, then the only way for the Republic to really come back in the face of a stable Sith Empire is if there is some instability. Malgus WAS Marr, but he lacked Marr's pragmatism. Marr had the better long term plan. Imagine Malgus in stasis this whole time, healing since the False Emperor. He emerges from a Kolto Tank finally, and finds out that Marr has achieved what he could not, and without the need for doing what Malgus went through. Imagine how the jealous anger could change him, make him bitter, and out for vengeance.

Malgus is a believable challenger to Marr, and could be the source of a building sith revolt that again feeds into him embracing the "Malgus the Betrayer" moniker and his charisma of getting some sith who long for the "good old wanton destruction days" of the Sith, where in their minds, being sith meant doing whatever the hell you wanted, and screw the Order Marr brings. A "broken" Malgus is a fascinating Malgus.

This would allow the crack for the Republic to finally get a foothold and re-establish itself.

Anyway, those are my takes - thanks for reading!

Marr doesn't have long to live so him succeeding would still only be a blip in the overall timeline. He doesn't have a potential successor either other than Nox/Imperius. I think it's safe to say that won't be happening.

Edited by Canareth

The Emperor's Hands

Which emperor do they work for REALLY? I'd say a final showdown is in order.

The Hand serve Vitiate.

The Isotope Five was used, mar would not put himself up as Emperor because he has no desire to, plus he's dying.

The rest are not loose ends, they're ideas.

The Hand serve Vitiate.

The Isotope Five was used, mar would not put himself up as Emperor because he has no desire to, plus he's dying.

The rest are not loose ends, they're ideas.

Sorry, but I find your stances VERY Myopic.

The Hands serve Vitiate, but who is Vitiate really? Perhaps Valkorian is the man behind Vitiate and they serve him?

And nowhere, NOWHERE does it EVER say the isotope 5 was used.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

Marr doesn't have long to live so him succeeding would still only be a blip in the overall timeline. He doesn't have a potential successor either other than Nox/Imperius. I think it's safe to say that won't be happening.

Not likely, but it doesn't mean he can't TRY to hand it off. And Marr can live long enough to serve the story purposes.

pretty sure the isotope was used, but Empire probably couldn't do as much with it except some basic use, seeing as Republic grabbed Dr. Oggurobb the Hutt, main inventor of all things related to the element.

It seems that it was used to help Empire restore their waning military forces, as by the time SoR rolls around, they seem back in strength capable of opposing the united Republic, but they probably couldn't do anything as amazing as the huge droids. Or those resources could have been lost during Dread Master crisis, as we can see several of those large walker droids in background of Dread Fortress.

pretty sure the isotope was used, but Empire probably couldn't do as much with it except some basic use, seeing as Republic grabbed Dr. Oggurobb the Hutt, main inventor of all things related to the element.

It seems that it was used to help Empire restore their waning military forces, as by the time SoR rolls around, they seem back in strength capable of opposing the united Republic, but they probably couldn't do anything as amazing as the huge droids. Or those resources could have been lost during Dread Master crisis, as we can see several of those large walker droids in background of Dread Fortress.

I think people are forgetting the overall Makeb Story.

The isotope 5 that the Hutts originally had WAS used, HOWEVER, your imperial player stopped the planet from blowing up, and mining of Isotope 5 was to resume under imperial control at the end of Makeb. Extraction was said to need time to get things up to snuff, but by the time of KotFE, it would have been what, 5-6 years post Makeb of the Empire mining Isotope 5?

The issue with your last paragraph though is that it is an assumption. Its nowhere stated what became of the Isotope 5 mined by the Empire.

Not to mention the Isotope 5 itself - its not just "fuel" - it was extremely powerful fuel - able to power droids and starships on a fragment of it, and able to create super-weapons like the Golden Fury and the Archon's weapon with enough of it. That the Empire DOESN'T have weapons like this speaks to the lack of Isotope 5 being in the mainstream forces.

As I said before, Marr having an Isotope 5 fleet in his back pocket, waiting to roll when the moment was right, would create a believable scenario in which the Zakuul Empire can be driven back and defeated, and it fits with the existing story.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

I may have rushed through it the first time, but the whole BH story just seemed very disjointed to me. I had a hard time caring about anything in it. (Probably because I think Mandalorians are stupid as hell -- *grunt* *chest beating* *grunt*) I'm going to start up a BH who hates Mandos just to see what happens.

I may have rushed through it the first time, but the whole BH story just seemed very disjointed to me. I had a hard time caring about anything in it. (Probably because I think Mandalorians are stupid as hell -- *grunt* *chest beating* *grunt*) I'm going to start up a BH who hates Mandos just to see what happens.

BH is actually my favorite story. Its actually not disjointed - you just take on different jobs, as a BH would. You can really play it sick with some hilarious results too - I remember fondly a "Falling Down" moment with Yalt's wife on Hutta. :D

And Chapter 1's finale felt the most like a solo flashpoint to me - it was epic.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

BH is actually my favorite story. Its actually not disjointed - you just take on different jobs, as a BH would. You can really play it sick with some hilarious results too - I remember fondly a "Falling Down" moment with Yalt's wife on Hutta. :D

And Chapter 1's finale felt the most like a solo flashpoint to me - it was epic.

I was hoping for something similar to the Smuggler -- "You all are just stupid and I'm here for the money." But the BH is so mean and grim as opposed to being snarky and wisecracking. :(

Sorry, but I find your stances VERY Myopic.

The Hands serve Vitiate, but who is Vitiate really? Perhaps Valkorian is the man behind Vitiate and they serve him?

And nowhere, NOWHERE does it EVER say the isotope 5 was used.

However minor and totally unaffecting it might be, there's been " isotope-5 bombings " during the assault on tython FP, on rep side

Edited by Tachenko_Yuri

I was hoping for something similar to the Smuggler -- "You all are just stupid and I'm here for the money." But the BH is so mean and grim as opposed to being snarky and wisecracking. :(

Ah, I got ya. Well, snark definitely fits in more with Smuggler than Bounty Hunter, although if you need that sort of thing, Mako and Gault as companions got you covered.

However minor and totally unaffecting it might be, there's been " isotope-5 bombings " during the assault on tython FP, on rep side

Good to know, for flavor. Still doesn't explain overall where the bulk of the 'tope is going.